nds-bootstrap loader: Run commercial NDS backups from an SD Card

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by shutterbug2000, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Souliousery

Souliousery Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 5, 2017
    Canada
    Congratulations! You are the 5000th comment in this thread!
    Anyways, that would be epic.

FateForWindows and banjo2 like this.
  2. banjo2

banjo2 little man

May 31, 2016
    United States
    gamer armchair
    When RAM disks are running, can the RAM be dumped? Along with the above two posts, I'd like to know if it'd be theoretically possible to use the RAM dump feature to get save data out of games being played with RAM disks, as you can't save your data otherwise? If everything is loaded and "saved" to the RAM, I don't see why you couldn't extract the files, or maybe even use it as a "save state" of sorts.

I really don't know how this stuff works, so, maybe it's impossible.

3. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

pip Developer
    Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    When RAM disks are running, the RAM cannot be dumped, as arm7 can't access the SD at this state.

banjo2 likes this.
  4. SuperSaiyajinVoltZ

SuperSaiyajinVoltZ Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2019
    Germany
    Deutschland.
    I like it how far we got with NDS-Bootstrap! I like NDS-Bootstrap as well, because I don't need to take my NDS Games with me and I can Play them on the go! :) Keep up the great work! :D

banjo2 and Robz8 like this.
  5. Shinigami_Soul

Shinigami_Soul Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 11, 2018
    Brazil
    Hey! First I want to thank you and the other people who make twilight++ and nds-bootstrap possible.
    Second, I have a problem. Anytime I try to run a dsiware .nds game the bootstrap display that an error has occurred. I tried stable and nightly and both didn't work (also, I turned on the debug mode and find it strange how it says vram and cpu boost are ON, while in the menu both are off and I don't know if this is normal)

banjo2 and Robz8 like this.
  6. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

pip Developer
    Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    DSiWare games don't work yet.

Shinigami_Soul likes this.
  7. Shinigami_Soul

Shinigami_Soul Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 11, 2018
    Brazil
    lol, I feel like an idiot now

8. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

pip Developer
    Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    v0.27.1: DS Browser support

What's new?
    • Added support for Nintendo DS Browser, by emulating the Memory Expansion Pak, using the extra RAM of the DSi or 3DS!
    • Before the game boots, a message is now shown, when creating a RAM dump or FAT table file, if not created already.
    Bug fixes
    • Fixed .nds only being replaced for the .bin filenames.
    • DSi: Removed ROM loading into RAM, for SDK5/TWLSDK games, as they were broken in the last release.
    • DSi: If the overlay size exceeds the RAM size, they are no longer loaded into RAM, before game boot.
      Fixes Lunar Knights.
    Known bug (DSi only?)
    • In Nintendo DS Browser, sleep mode does not work, and attempting to enter sleep mode will power on/off the screens in a loop.

9. banjo2

banjo2 little man

May 31, 2016
    United States
    gamer armchair
    More compatibility than the standard? You and your team never cease to amaze me. :)

I'll certainly be comparing this to the DSi Browser.

Zense and Robz8 like this.
  10. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

pip Developer
    Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    v0.28.0

What's new?
    • A wider range of DSi-Enhanced games are now supported, such as Power Pro Kun Pocket 13 and 14!

11. Pokem

Pokem GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 22, 2016
    United States
    Hello, I'm sure it is a question that has probably been asked many times, but can this play every DS game yet? Back when I still follow the development regularly, it had a compatibility list with games that run well, games that take forever to load, and games that are unplayable. Has development reached the point where every game run well, including DS homebrews?

12. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

pip Developer
    Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    There are still some games that don't work, such as Pokemon Dash, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, and very early Japanese SDK5/TWLSDK games.

Pokem likes this.
  13. Rya687

Rya687 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2016
    Gambia, The
    There are also games that seem functional at first glance, but run into bugs at some point. For that reason, the compatibility list can't always be trusted. I learned that the hard way.

14. Zense

Zense GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 20, 2008
    Italy
    What games might those be if you don't mind answering?

alexander1970 likes this.
  15. Shinigami_Soul

Shinigami_Soul Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 11, 2018
    Brazil
    Don't know if this was reported somewhere, but chocobo fushigi na dungeon+ with the english partial translation pack is not being properly patched by the included anti-ap (that's my guess, at least). Your hp doesn't regenerate as it seems it should and even clearing the tutorial (it was hard, a tried a lot of times) just greets you with a black screen (I'm playing on 3ds, btw).

Last edited by Shinigami_Soul, Nov 26, 2019
  16. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

pip Developer
    Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    There is no AP-fix .ips patch for the English translation.

Shinigami_Soul likes this.
  17. maorninja

maorninja GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    With most updates, you're going to change a function which might make it work in one game but breaks it in others.
    Here's a visualization:

[​IMG]

The best we could do is try out each game and report them as they come along.

Flame, banjo2, alexander1970 and 3 others like this.
  18. Zense

Zense GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 20, 2008
    Italy
    I must have misunderstood his post, since I thought he meant games that later in the game have game-breaking bugs, and not bugs that are introduced with new releases of nds-bootstrap, in other words regressions.

alexander1970 likes this.
  19. Pakhitew-Island

Pakhitew-Island GBAtemp Regular

Apr 16, 2017
    Jamaica
    Is that an eventuality then? Because I still have no idea how to back up/install my DSIWare games and having them playable on ndsbootstrap's probably gonna make it easier

20. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

pip Developer
    Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Yes, they'll eventually work.

Pakhitew-Island likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted