nds-bootstrap loader: Run commercial NDS backups from an SD Card

nds-bootstrap:

Thanks to the work of ahezard, Gericom, Apache, Robz8, _catcatcat, and shutterbug2000 and other contributors, we can now load NDS games from the SD card, without any flashcard/SLOT-1 card.

Don't expect high compatibility, but do expect many, many updates.

:arrow: Compatibility listing:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LRTkXOUXraTMjg1eedz_f7b5jiuyMv2x6e_jY_nyHSc/edit#gid=0

:arrow: The official Discord server for nds-bootstrap:
https://discordapp.com/invite/7bxTQfZ

:arrow: The thread for the recommended loader (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/twloader-ctr-mode-nds-app.448375/

:arrow: SRLoader for softmodded DSis (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/srloader-nds-app-for-dsi.472200/

:arrow: If you're more of a forwarder person:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nds-forwarder-cias-for-your-home-menu.426174/

:arrow: Link to the releases page:
https://github.com/ahezard/nds-bootstrap/releases

:arrow: Anti-Piracy patch list by Robz8
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ap-patch-preservation.477536/

Also, thank you to our testers:
Historian
JoshuaDoes
thejsa
Alerdy
PokeAcer

Also, a video thanks to Robz8:

And another thanks to Alerdy:

Last edited by shutterbug2000,

plug313

Trophies
XP
Country
edit: nvm my question I just went ahead and used the updater cia. worked awesome! now playing Digimon World DS!!

also super super happy that the vast majority of games are working now! WOW! congrats! you made the best homebrew on the 3DS in my opinion. and it's the homebrew a lot of people kept saying was impossible to make! truly an amazing feat that should get more appreciation.

Last edited by plug313,

Madikan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hello!

I have a DSi with TM++ and I'm trying to run Space Invaders Revolutions, but I get a white screen everytime I try to launch it (even when I force NTR mode instead of TWL)... Rom works fine on my flashcard though (and it's a clean no-intro one too)

Is this a known issue? The game doesn't have an entry in the compatibility list unfortunately
Thank!

Last edited by Madikan,

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The compability list link is dead

The only games that are not working are:

- Pokemon Dash (stops at title screen)
- Jam with the Band (white screen)
- Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
- The minigames in NSMB because of broken soft-resetting implementation

Apart from that everything works 100% if I'm not mistaken.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello!

I have a DSi with TM++ and I'm trying to run Space Invaders Revolutions, but I get a white screen everytime I try to launch it (even when I force NTR mode instead of TWL)... Rom works fine on my flashcard though (and it's a clean no-intro one too)

Is this a known issue? The game doesn't have an entry in the compatibility list unfortunately
Thank!
Hold L immediately after pressing A/START to launch the game.

plug313

Trophies
XP
Country
bug report: upper screen brightness suddenly and out of nowhere increased, bottom screen brightness remained the same, and a few seconds after the 3DS shut off

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bug report: upper screen brightness suddenly and out of nowhere increased, bottom screen brightness remained the same, and a few seconds after the 3DS shut off
That's a hardware issue, not an nds-bootstrap issue.

EDIT: Oh wow, I didn't realize I went over 10,000 posts. :lol:

Last edited by RocketRobz,

seseiSeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I tried playing Pokémon White 2 (German, dumped it myself). NTR mode works, but TWL mode doesn't. Are there different AP checks for this?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder. Is there a reason Moonshell 1 can boot and work but Moonshell 2 still crashes while loading?
Answered in the TWiLight Menu++ thread, even though this is related to nds-bootstrap.
I tried playing Pokémon White 2 (German, dumped it myself). NTR mode works, but TWL mode doesn't. Are there different AP checks for this?
No. DSi mode doesn't work due to missing patches.

v0.20.0: More save fixes

What's new?
  • WarioWare DIY now saves, thanks to implementing NAND save function patching.
  • Jam with the Band now boots, but cannot proceed, due to a save error message appearing.
  • DSi-Exclusive cart games now boot up to the point where is says that it can only be played on Nintendo DSi consoles, though some will white screen instead.
Bug fixes
  • Some games such as Pac n' Roll, Micro Machines, and Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam, now save to the SD card.
  • MapleStory now boots again.
  • Some games that show a white screen with sound still playing, will no longer show a white screen.
Known bug
  • Reported by ysb: Only high score data and story progression are saved in WW DIY.

Last edited by RocketRobz,

seseiSeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No. DSi mode doesn't work due to missing patches.
Phew, I'm glad to hear that. I was out of AP-patches and couldn't find any more.
Are there any plans to create those patches sometime in the future or is that outside the scope of nds-bootstrap, since the game already works fine in DS mode?

Also, great work with the new update. Getting closer and closer. It's pretty incredible what you all did already. A few years ago, everyone would be like "Yeah, dream on", when asked about playing commercial DS games off of the SD card and now, we got so many games running perfectly.

Reactions: plug313

chr0m

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Any point using this on a DSi or should I just stick with a flashcart?

Also, anyone know the max SD card size I can use on a DSi with this?

Last edited by chr0m,

elenarguez

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Suikoden Tierkreis often has random hangs, is it known if this game has anti-piracy protection? It happens when I talk to Moana and when opens the missions menu freezes the image but not the sound.

Last edited by elenarguez,

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im guessing nds-bootstrap has saving issues with Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky Randomized roms? (3 diff randomized roms and when i goto save or quicksave it says the save was corrupt and gets deleted) and um i do see the compatibility list says hold L, what do that do for it at boot exactly?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: I met you in my dreams.