nds-bootstrap loader: Run commercial NDS backups from an SD Card

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by shutterbug2000, Dec 24, 2016.

1. laharl22

laharl22 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 19, 2014
    France
    so which sdk need donor cart on dsi and 3ds?

2. seseiSeki

seseiSeki Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 26, 2016
    Germany
    Is there a reason why donor ROM support has been removed? I mean, isn't saving to SD kinda a major point of nds-bootstrap? Or did things change and saving to SD is not in the scope of nds-bootstarp anymore?

3. soniccomcisbr

soniccomcisbr GBAtemp Fan

Jul 27, 2014
    Brazil
    Fortaleza, Brazil
    I will be sure to not update for now. I have only 2 nds carts here

4. laharl22

Dec 19, 2014
    France
    And my DSI used for hiyacfw have a broken cart port

5. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Donor ROM was breaking compatibility with some games, due to the recent nds-bootstrap changes.
    Also, we're not dropping the feature save to SD, as we can still do that on SDK2 and some SDK4 games, and patches for SDK3-5 are planned.
    Donor ROM (aka MassCrassMethod) was a thing, only because save redirection patches for SDK3-4 weren't worked on (Donor ROM didn't work on SDK5, though).

Last edited by Robz8, Jun 13, 2018
  6. soniccomcisbr

soniccomcisbr GBAtemp Fan

Jul 27, 2014
    Brazil
    Fortaleza, Brazil
    I hope for these patches, but in my case and some other uses its better to skip these updates and wait some time

seseiSeki likes this.
  7. laharl22

Dec 19, 2014
    France
    Wich bootstrap with donor ROM support are better for DSI and 3ds?

8. seseiSeki

Newcomer
    Sep 26, 2016
    Germany
    Thank you for your answer. I'm glad to hear, that a better way of saving to SD is being worked on.
    Just something by the way. how many SDK versions are there? Is five the last one, or are there even more?

9. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    5 is the last one.

seseiSeki likes this.
  10. SCOTT0852

SCOTT0852 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 20, 2018
    United States
    3, 4, and 5. Before donor rom removal, 3 and 4 could use the donor rom to save (5 still needed donor cart).
    The last one that actually had it (0.8) It has both DSi and 3DS support, so that's not an important factor.

laharl22 likes this.
  11. laharl22

Dec 19, 2014
    France
    it will take longtime for save patch for sdk 3 4 and 5?

12. Roboman

Roboman GBAtemp Fan

Jan 7, 2016
    United States
    Could you manually patch a donor rom into a ds game to get save support back for now?

13. jahjab1226

jahjab1226 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2014
    United States
    BTW Rockman EXE Operate Shooting Star got a full english patch today and it works perfectly.

14. piratesephiroth

piratesephiroth I wish I could read

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    guys, you have to try the latest commit. I have no idea of what they did but all the games are getting loaded at cart speeds now, without noticeable pauses or stuttering

(replace the file in the _nds folder and configure dsimenuplusplus to use the unofficial bootstrap)

Attached Files:

Last edited by piratesephiroth, Jun 17, 2018
    ahezard, Robz8 and shutterbug2000 like this.
  15. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    nds-bootstrap v0.9.0-RC1: Cart speeds at last!
    EDIT: RC2 released.

What's new?
    • Cart speeds finally achieved for every game, thanks to @ahezard!
      This is achieved via FAT table caching and NDMA.
      Should work on SD cards with any cluster size. Some chinese cards may have low performance, though.
      In addition, async prefetching is removed, but this is not bad, as the games will still load at cart speed!
    • Sound also does not pause/stutter while loading from SD, thanks to hooking into the halt SWI call branch, instead of vBlank/FIFO IRQs.
    • Save redirection to SD returns to some SDK3 games! (e.g. New Super Mario Bros., Lunar Knights, Sonic Rush Adventure, etc.).
    • DSi and 3DS versions have merged into one build!
    Bug fixes
    • You can now return to DSiMenu++ on both DSi and 3DS, by holding L+R+DOWN+B for 2 seconds.
    • Sound should now work properly on all games on DSi/3DS running DSiWarehax.
    Known bugs
    • A few games may try to erase save data on the SD card, due to it thinking it's corrupt.
      Known game with this issue is Sonic Rush. Be sure to backup your .sav file, in case if it happens to your game as well.
    • A few games (and some SDK5 games) that worked on the previous version, may not work on this version.

Last edited by Robz8, Jun 17, 2018
  16. SCOTT0852

Jan 20, 2018
    United States
    so wait... can someone try running mario kart ds and say if multiplayer works now because of the cart loading times? I don't exactly have my 3DS handy right now.

17. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Mario Kart DS always had card loading times, as it fitted into the 32MB of RAM.

18. SCOTT0852

Jan 20, 2018
    United States
    oh, I thought someone said that only battle mode worked & actual races always disconnected.

19. seseiSeki

Newcomer
    Sep 26, 2016
    Germany
    I didn't try if it still works for about four to five months, but I can definitely say, that it worked perfectly back then.

20. JambonBeurreMan

JambonBeurreMan Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2018
    France
    I am really looking forward to being able to play at full cart speed on the SD card and being able to save on the SD card. What a progress ! Keep it up <3 :toot:

Last edited by JambonBeurreMan, Jun 17, 2018
    Robz8 and ahezard like this.