NDS Backup Help (EZ Flash 3 in 1)

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Vagabond251, Jun 14, 2008.

Jun 14, 2008
  1. Vagabond251
    OP

Newcomer Vagabond251 Newbie

United States
    I want to know if it is possible to import a .SAV from my EZ-Flash V that has been downloaded or used on a ROM and then load it on to the actual cartridge. In my case this is to have backup Roms to store my games on but still have the ability to put the saves I use from the ROM on to the actual cartridge. This make sense? Thanks. I tried "restoring" a .sav file I made using the Trauma Center ROM to the actual cartridge but it didn't work. Maybe I need to export and see what the cartridge NAME is so that the names are consistent?

2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
  3. Vagabond251
    OP

United States
    NDS Backup Tool for DS Games.

4. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Which slot 1 card are you using? Some flashcarts pad the savefiles, so if you're using one of those you might have to run them through a converter to get them back into RAW format before putting them on the real cartridge.
    http://shunyweb.info/convert.php

(Note that I think this might also apply to the recent beta kernels for the EZ-V slot 1. There isn't an option for this as a source format in the save converter so you'll have to guess [​IMG] )

5. Vagabond251
    OP

United States
    I'm using EZ-Flash V. So I shouldn't have to convert correct?

6. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    This is probably the best time to ask.
    Can I use VBA saves on the EZ Flash 3-1

7. Psyfira

United Kingdom
    Not if you're using kernel 1.70 stable or older, no. Mine chucks out a 64KB savefile for the USA version of Trauma Centre. I'm running out of ideas, other than checking that the ROM is from the same region as your game (sometimes this doesn't matter, but seeing as you're having problems can't hurt to rule it out). I've used the backup tool many times, the filename of the savefile you're sending doesn't matter.

By saying "it doesn't work", do you mean it does nothing at all to the savefile on the real cart, or has it overwritten it with a blank save?

Antoligy: it should work, by using file>export>battery file option in VBA to generate a savefile.

8. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    VBA .sav files can be used in GBA ExpLoader or later versions of the 3in1 ExpPack Tool without any modification. Just make sure the filename matches the rom you want to use it with. If you're using a different loader, or the 3-in-1 support that's built into various slot 1 carts you may need to fiddle with the file a bit (I'm not sure, haven't tried), but it will still be easy to make it work.

9. Vagabond251
    OP

United States
    I mean it doesn't seem to affect the save. It doesn't load or change anything. Is there an order of things I need to do in order to make it work? I'm a bit sketchy on the instructions EXACTLY. Do I "Open the SAV ROM" area of the Cart, or go straight to "Restore SAV?"

10. Psyfira

United Kingdom
    Go straight to restore save (turn it on, press R once, press the up/down arrow keys to highlight the save file you want to send, then press A to send it). This program picks up all of it's savefiles out of the NDS_Backup directory on the root of your SD card, so make sure you're sending the correct save file rather than re-sending the one it backed up in the first place (just ruling out possibilities here, either it's not working or you're overwriting it with the same data).

11. Vagabond251
    OP

United States
    So I've been doing that, then do I switch the DS off, go to my flash card and "continue" the previous operation and THEN do the second option?

12. Psyfira

United Kingdom
    No, you don't need to touch the second option at all. Just turn the DS off after the "continue" finishes (not that it looks like it does anything).

I really have no clue why this still isn't working for you. What version of the tool are you using?

13. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    i noticed that the pages rudolph hosted the tools is now gone, and it appears the tools were never uploaded to the gbatemp download section. would someone be so kind as to up the tools for us for future use?

cheers,
    -another world

14. Psyfira

United Kingdom
    Just had a quick look, the 3-in-1 and Wifi tools are in there (search for "backup"). But you are correct in that the slot 2 version is missing.

15. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    I see all of Rudolph's backup tools here.