• Start date
  • Views 11,562
  • Replies 99
D

Deleted User

OP
screenshot_239426_thumb300.jpg

QUOTE(http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=276956) said:
Microsoft has warned Call Of Duty: Black Ops players that they risk being banned from Xbox Live if they adopt the Swastika as their logo during online matches. Because, you know, some people can't come to that conclusion themselves.

Stephen Toulouse, the Director of Policy and Enforcement at Xbox Live, took to his blog yesterday to discuss enquiries from gamers who wished to use the emblem online.

He said that some players had called the policy into question - as variants on the symbol hold religious connotations which have nothing to do with Nazi Germany.

However, Toulouse was unapologetic, calling those who had raised the enquries "contrarians", and reiterating that they'd be struck off Live if they used the logo in their profile.

He wrote:

Tonight I got asked one of those questions that only my job can apparently engender, namely "Hey, I'm not a genocidal hater of Jews but I really love the design of the swastika because its actually considered religious from hundreds of years ago, can I use it as my Call Of Duty: Black Ops logo? SWASTIKAS ARE AWESOME."

No really, someone asked me this as a serious question on twitter. So I of course replied, "no, of course you can't, we'll ban you."

UH OH! OUT COMES THE INTERNET PUNDITS!

You know the type I mean. They've read an article that's contrarian to some position widely held, or they've found some obscure fact that contradicts common interpretation. Some of them claim to have known it as innate fact, others claim it to be widespread common knowledge taught to every single person in elementary school. Of course, usually neither is true at all. Most of them are just contrarians. They would never dare to wear a swastika openly, but they love to argue about how the world has "misunderstood" this symbol. Or they view any opportunity for human interaction, no matter the appropriateness, to push their point.

Under some religions, the specific design of the Nazi swastika is a relatively obscure symbol. It was not unique to the German Nazi Party. In some cases, it can be interpreted to mean unity depending on how it is oriented. But somehow, (I know, calm yourself) the prosecution of an entire world war in the 20th century co-opted that symbol for most civilizations into a symbol of evil and hatred. Let's be clear: no educated human on the planet looks at the swastika symbol in "the year we make contact" and says "oh, that symbol has nothing at all in any way to do with global genocide of an entire race and, even if it did, one should totally and reasonably ignore that because it's a symbol that was stolen or coop-ted from religions where it is relegated to minor symbolism or reference."

Well, no educated human on the planet that is, unless we're talking about the Internet. Because according to the Internet, certain orientations of the swastika symbol was stamped on all money, food, foreheads, temples, and just about everywhere any reasonable person could find it. And the Nazi's effectively won world war two if anyone promotes banning the Nazi orientation of the symbol.

Suddenly, my twitter stream was filled with people stating that Xbox LIVE should equally ban the star of David, the Christian cross, and yes I am not kidding, the infinity symbol because under various niche interpretations of those symbols, they are as evil as the swastika symbol and I should apply ethical relativism to all symbols on Xbox LIVE to respect all viewpoints because of the United States First Amendment.

Even better? The argument that because the single player of the game is rated mature, the online experience should allow for all manner of horrible genocidal viewpoints.

No really.

I hate to do this Internet, I really really do, but let me lay out some reality.

The Xbox LIVE profile and in game content you create is accessible by everyone. You do not have the context inside of it to explain your long winded contrarian view that your pithy text that violates the Terms of Use or Code of Conduct is actually intended to change people's minds about a commonly held understanding.

It's not political correctness, it's fundamental respect. If you think the swastika symbol should be re-evaluated by societies all over the Earth, I think that's great. Your Xbox LIVE profile or in game logo, which doesn't have the context to explain your goal, is not the right place to do that.

Context.

*Context*

TL;DR: If you see offensive symbols in Call of Duty, Black Ops, report them using the in game option and they will be taken care of. If you want to argue that swastikas are actually AWESOME, go to another forum. On Xbox LIVE they are not allowed. :>

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Cool story, bro.

To be honest, I'd prefer that it not matter. I mean...WWII was quite a while ago, with few living people who were old enough to remember it.

*waits to be flamed...sigh...*

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
The Nazi swastika is a very specific type of swastika. It's fair to say I've not seen anyone running around with this on their gun.

200pxhinduswastika90202.png

A black, boxy swastika rotated 45 degrees and on a backdrop of red and white, however...

D

Deleted-247497

OP
eh who cares let em be assholes, the reason people do it is to get reactions, so lets just not feed the trolls and ignore it.

Thoob

LOLmonade.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I completely agree. Nobody is using a swastika on CoD for "religious" reasons. Yes, it does have religious connotations from the past, but after being used by the Nazis in WW2, it is now seen as a symbol of racism and genocide.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jaxxster said:
BlueStar said:
The Nazi swastika is a very specific type of swastika. It's fair to say I've not seen anyone running around with this on their gun.

200pxhinduswastika90202.png

A black, boxy swastika rotated 45 degrees and on a backdrop of red and white, however...

Buddhist swastika?
I saw this on a Buddha statue at my Buddhist temple, and asked my mom about it. Apparently, it's supposed to stand for peace and harmony, while the swastika the nazis used was ORIGINALLY for peace and wealth, but now for hatred and racism.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What kinda society do I live in where this is ok? Geez, really? I should be free to have whatever symbol I choose considering I have to pay for "XBOX LIVE", but seriously none of you were in ww2, none of you went through that, the nazis are done for, they're gone. And MS is already ban-crazy enough as it is. Now I have to pay for online play, and then be censored and banned because some bastard doesn't like the swastika? Fine, here, using MS's logic and banning symbols having to do with groups that kill an ass load of people.....why don't we censor anything China related? What about North Korea? If you can't go through your life without crying when you see the swastika you probably should just kill yourself now, you weren't around during that time and its over with.
hate2.gif

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Heard about this some weeks ago, so it's pretty old news to me. Although I don't really care if anyone uses the swastika as their symbol, they shouldn't just use it so casually. Even if there are few who were involved in WWII still living today, the symbol still carries a bloodstained history because of the Nazis. I'm glad I'm on the PS3 since this doesn't affect us, but I'm pretty sure Sony will soon adopt this policy as well.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thesolcity said:
What kinda society do I live in where this is ok? Geez, really? I should be free to have whatever symbol I choose considering I have to pay for "XBOX LIVE", but seriously none of you were in ww2, none of you went through that, the nazis are done for, they're gone. And MS is already ban-crazy enough as it is. Now I have to pay for online play, and then be censored and banned because some bastard doesn't like the swastika? Fine, here, using MS's logic and banning symbols having to do with groups that kill an ass load of people.....why don't we censor anything China related? What about North Korea? If you can't go through your life without crying when you see the swastika you probably should just kill yourself now, you weren't around during that time and its over with.
hate2.gif

That's what I was thinking, but people are people, and maybe somebody had a relative die in WW2, so that may be one reason.

QUOTE(ChaosBoi @ Nov 26 2010, 06:01 PM) Heard about this some weeks ago, so it's pretty old news to me. Although I don't really care if anyone uses the swastika as their symbol, they shouldn't just use it so casually. Even if there are few who were involved in WWII still living today, the symbol still carries a bloodstained history because of the Nazis. I'm glad I'm on the PS3 since this doesn't affect us, but I'm pretty sure Sony will soon adopt this policy as well.
uhh, what he said xD

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could understand if someone had a relative die in war. But that's no reason to censor games, and then ban you from online play you had to pay for. To me that is a load of crap, there is far more offensive things than a swastika out there, if you don't like swastikas, don't buy the game. Don't make me pay $60+ for censored crap and then ban me from multiplayer cause somebody just HAD to complain. This is the internet, not your mom's house.

DJ91990

Grookey Gang!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Well it is a Good thing the Dylvanian Symbol looks NOTHING like a swastika. There is nothing wrong with a backwards "k" with a " ~ " over the top-right side of it is there? THERE BETTER NOT BE! (Starts to rage)

Speaking about Swastikas...Anyone here remember LEVEL 3 - MANJI from THE LEGEND OF ZELDA from the NES? THAT THING LOOKS LIKE A SWASTIKA! All in favor for bashing Miyamoto? Say aye! AYE!

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thesolcity said:
hate2.gif
What reason does someone have to use the swatstika? And some Germans would find it offensive. (ironic I know) But still, I dobubt anyone who used used it as a religious symbol. If the swatstika wasn't the nazi's symbol, nobody would use it in the game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: