1. BlueStar

BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

It's not being used in a religious way, the Nazi swastika is unique and different in style, colour and rotation to other ones. Microsoft has no compulsion to provide a platform for people to exercise their 'freedom of speech' with nazi symbols. MS has decided that they don't want the display of extremist views detracting from their entertainment service and they've decided that if something is likely to be offensive to many of their paying customers, they want it removed. That's their right, welcome to free market capitalism.

2. Evo.lve

Evo.lve All that you could be.

Just a little bit of trivia:
    Millions of people joined the Nazi party, but their means were not always criminal. Joining the Nazi party gave you many privileges in Nazi Germany.

The swastika is seen as a symbol of terror, of racism, of anti-homosexuality, etc. And it's total bullshit that someone could be so retarded that they would go "OMG YOU CAN USE A SWASTIKA AS AN EMBLEM I'M SO USING THAT SO I CAN PISS MY NEIGHBOUR OFF".

3. impur1ty

impur1ty Advanced Member
    Newcomer

They are totally justified in not allowing particular symbols, but they should at least be consistent and disallow Stalinist and Maoist symbols.

4. cwstjdenobs

cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

Those two where Catholics not atheists. Prayers used to be said for Hitler at the Vatican every year on his birthday. EDIT: Almost all of the top Nazi's where confessing Catholics and the only one to get excommunicated was Goebbels for marrying a protestant.

5. SpiritBoy

SpiritBoy GBAtemp Regular

Iceland
    No, but our famillies, grandfathers, and all of out ancestors were.

NEWS FLASH PEOPLE - There are millions of Jews everywhere living. Pretty much all of them have some connection to the holocaust. Pretty much all of us see this symbol and, guess what, we are reminded of the Nazis. Of 6 million. And guess what? Nazis aren't gone yet. Neo-Nazis, using your precious fucking freedom of speech right still exist in America. Israel is surrounded by Arab governments who want to finish us completely. Whenever Jews cemeteries and Synagogues are vandalized with the swastika, trust me it's not in the Buddhist meaning of it.
    I realize this is the internet so people are dumb as fuck by default but jesus fucking christ guys. You need to draw the line somewhere.

6. TwinRetro

TwinRetro Former Staff
    Former Staff

Djibouti
    Nazi Swastika:
    http://imgur.com/6xJUm.jpg

Buddhist Svastika:
    http://imgur.com/N113y.jpg

The styles are very different, and they can be told apart easily. There is NO ONE on BO that I have seen that utilizes the Buddhist Svastika. No one. Your point is moot.

7. Law

Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

No it isn't. That sounds incredibly plausible.

8. Crass

Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

United States
    ITT: Ignorant and self-righteous white kids getting upset @ Microsoft for stifling their "civil rights/freedom" of speech because Microsoft won't let them use a flag in their gay shooty game that is universally derided as a symbol of hate. Basically, no one gives a shit. Just because you pay for a service does not mean you get to set the rules for the service.

9. Livin in a box

Livin in a box Livin' in a cardboard box

I'm not saying for one moment that it should be allowed to have the Swastika as an emblem but it's used in the Zombies part of the game so I think it's a bit hypocritical of them.

10. TwinRetro

TwinRetro Former Staff
    Former Staff

Djibouti
    Not really. The zombies are Nazi. Now if you can tell me where in the Multiplayer portion of the game you play as a Nazi, you will have proven your point. But as it stands it's comparing apples to an orange smoothie.

In certain contexts, using the swastika is appropriate (Displaying Nazis in a video game, or Nazi zombies if your prefer)

In multiplayer there is and will never be an appropriate context to use that symbol. There is no instance where you play a Nazi. ever.

11. GreatZimkogway

GreatZimkogway Still a Touhou Fanatic

United States
    What's funny about this is that, if it's on Xbox Live, Microsoft approved it. Way to approve something then go turning around and banning people for using a GODDAMN IMAGE. THAT'S NOT EVEN OBSCENE.

12. Law

Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

It's an emblem editor, anybody can draw anything. If you seriously can't use your own common sense to realise what is okay to use and what isn't, you deserve to get banned.

13. GreatZimkogway

GreatZimkogway Still a Touhou Fanatic

United States
    I start corrected. I assume that emblem editor is BO only? How sucky. And either way. It's only because people are too sensitive over every. little. thing. that this is happening. "Oh my god, he's using a symbol like that, lets all get him banned boo-freaking-hoo." Cy me a river. And all those that used it...Successful Trolls are Successful.

14. TwinRetro

TwinRetro Former Staff
    Former Staff

Djibouti
    That's just like banning Photoshop because people can do various illegal things with it. Or banning cameras because they are capable of filming counterfeit movies.

MS Approved the use of an image editor of sorts. There isn't much yu can do to prevent people from using their imagination (or lack thereof)

15. Crass

Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

United States
    Sure you can, thats why people are getting banned/warned. Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you should.

16. Evo.lve

Evo.lve All that you could be.

Worded incorrectly on my behalf. I meant people that don't know/think about the meaning it has.

17. TwinRetro

TwinRetro Former Staff
    Former Staff

Djibouti
    That would be a consequence. You can't really take preventative measures with an image editor without some pretty nifty scripting. Bans/warns are not a preventative measure.

18. George Dawes

George Dawes Wanker

Chad
    Why? Those regimes didn't set out to persecute people based on their ethnicity or mental health. Yes, the purges of political opponents were terrible (unforgivable, even) but don't even begin to compare to the persecution from the NSDAP.

19. Fabis94

Fabis94 Xbawx playa

Are you serious? Who the fuck cares why did they kill people? What matters is HOW MANY did they kill!
    And Stalin killed a whole lot more.

20. George Dawes

George Dawes Wanker

Chad
    One death is too many. What matters is WHY they killed. Killing people because they are of a different race to you is evil - have you learned nothing from the defeat of fascism in the 30-40s? Obviously not, and this is why it is on the rise again.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - adopters, Slammed, symbol