NASA discovers Pluto's fifth moon

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Jul 12, 2012.

Jul 12, 2012
  1. Gahars
    OP

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] NASA

For being the runt of the litter, Pluto seems pretty popular with orbiting satellites. No wonder it's an "icy dwarf planet"; it's so (as the kids say) chill.

4 people like this.
  2. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Screw the astronomers! Pluto is still a planet, and I will be among the survivors from the Plutonian invasions because I didn't vote for it being the weakest link!

3. Foie

Member Foie That one guy

United States
    It's funny that we're looking for planets in other solar systems, yet we don't even know all that much about our own (ex)planets.

4. Gahars
    OP

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    If you find that funny, you should see how much we know about Earth's own oceans.

5 people like this.
  5. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    That was so bad, I felt my ears clench. I ever almost forgot to p2.

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Choice video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_2gbGXzFbs

Anyway whoo astronomy? In recent years it is probably second only to biology in terms of things I do not dismiss but usually fail to catch my interest as far as catching me reading up on the matter goes but good stuff none the less.

7. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    Awesome.

8. indask8

Member indask8 New Member Forever

France
    I wonder how such a small "planet" can attract all those moons, gravity should be near zero... pretty sure any asteroid hitting those moons will eject them from their orbit, if it can send one of those into earth orbit, I'm interested, I'm bored of a single moon... :)

2 people like this.
  9. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    what a lame name they should call it mickey

3 people like this.
  10. lostdwarf

Member lostdwarf GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    134340 Pluto(that is it's real name now), is the second-most-massive known dwarf planet in the Solar System (after Eris) and the tenth-most-massive body observed directly orbiting the Sun. Originally classified as the ninth planet from the Sun, Pluto was recategorized as a dwarf planet and plutoid due to the discovery that it is only one of several large bodies within the Kuiper belt.
    (source wikipedia)

Pluto has a surface gravity (approx-will know for sure in 2015 when new horizons spacecraft enters orbit around it) of 1/15th of the Earth.
    That means if you weigh 15 stone, you would weigh just 1 stone on pluto.

This is still a hell of a lot of gravity, enough to clear all objects out of it's orbital path (this was the reason it was originally called a planet) and any impact will just impact it and not change it's orbit.

11. Skelletonike

Member Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    Personally I still believe that we have some creatures enourmous creatures in the depths of the sea, surviving in that pitch black, freezing and with deadly pressure environment.
    Didn't some giant octupus or something surface a few years ago that had its body all beat up by unknown causes (pressure most likely)? Not to mention that no man made tool has reached to the deepest part of the sea that I recall, they all end up destroyed by the pressure.

(It could be possible that since it's such a cold and dark place that the creatures down there could've mutated to adapt, like all creatures, including humans have done in the past, what sort of creature would be able to witstand that pressure? But alas, there' prolly nothing there.)

On the pluto topic, that's really interesting... Five moons, and they still discarded him as a planet, how cruel of them! D

12. Luna

Member Luna GBAtemp Fan

South Africa
    Deepest part of the ocean is the Mariana Trench: And just under 11 km in dept.