Naruto (subbed) will be streamed for free: new trend?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by da_head, Nov 23, 2008.

1. da_head
    OP

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    now of course, most ppl obtain their anime either by torrents or streaming due to loyal fan subbers. however, i stumbled upon something interesting today:

"If you havn't heard yet, TV Tokyo has announced they will begin streaming the Naruto anime series subtitled in English starting on January 8th, 2009 on Crunchyroll for a small fee. Starting on January 15th, 2009, Viz will stream Naruto for free on Naruto.com.

Also, Dattebayo has stated they will permanently stop fansubbing Naruto effectively January 15th, 2009. (when the streams start)

Other series Crunchyroll will stream include but are not limited to: Shugo Chara!, Skip Beat!, and Gintama.

Do you believe this is the right direction for anime to be heading?"

source: http://www.baka-updates.com/ (can i link to this?)

now obviously i don't watch naruto, but this could set a trend for other companies. wat do u guys think? do u agree with this change in the industry?

2. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    I thought they were going to stream Naruto Shippuden. Not the original Naruto..

3. da_head
    OP

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    *shrugz* mebe that's what they meant? like i said, i don't watch naruto

4. Shabadage

Member Shabadage GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hulu's been streaming subbed Bleach for a while now, and I think it's usually in their Top 10 or 25. I think it's a great idea. The Jap companies get their ad revenue and anime fans get their subbed anime. There's less actual downloads so bootleg DVD's won't be as common, and if someone wants to rewatch an episode, the jap companies get their ad revenue again. I fully support this as a former anime fan, and I think this is one of those rare occurrences where everyone wins.

5. poplast

Newcomer poplast Newbie

Canada
    *snip Although TVtokyo will be supplying naruto to crunchyroll subbed for it to be streamed, It will fail hard cause its streamed, So the quality will suck..

As for ViZ They will be releasing each episode 1 week after the air date, Which in itself is gay. Also ViZ is money hungry, They will prob charge you for each episode.

And you know what he means Raiyu, its still naruto no matter what...

6. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    Bad idea.

Low quality because it is streamed, the higher bandwidth usage that results from streamed videos will continue to create an impending overload on the network, prompting more ISPs to institute bandwidth caps (torrenting creates far less load on the internet than streams do). Plus, they will be riddled with ads, and other related problems.

7. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    Considering how slow streaming has been for me today (and internet as a whole) I'd much rather be able to download the episodes when my internet is fast and watch them in a decent quality whenever I want, as opposed to watching 3 seconds of a low quality stream (which probably has mono audio) before seeing the text "buffering".

8. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    This will never take off. People will just look for a free source, be it torrents or otherwise.

9. Anakir

Member Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    It's not a bad idea, but as an ex-anime geek, I never liked streaming anime.

1. low quality
    2. have to load everytime I watch.
    3. can't be portable.. I mean any areas that don't have internet means no streaming.

I still watch movies the same way. All downloads, never streaming.

10. nephdj

Member nephdj GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Its been implied that it will also be up for download via drm. which isnt that bad, the tv rips we have at the moment are way below dvd. should be much better then we have now.

11. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    I used to watch streaming all the time... then one day, I decided to try and download the episodes. SO much better. You don't have to load anything, quality is so much better, etc. Much more enjoyable.