Naruto Shippuuden: Shinobi Retsuden II

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by kosheh, Apr 2, 2009.

Apr 2, 2009
  1. kosheh
    OP

Member kosheh GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I recently picked this game up after seeing Naruto Ninja Destiny II released in Europe. Seeing as it keeps most of the UI intact, I figured it would serve as a nice stepping stone for a novice DS hacker like myself. By doing a lot of splicing, file-insertion and 500+ hours of photoshop this-and-that, I've made my own translation just in case you feel like picking this game back up.

It's my first hacking attempt, so please download it, try it out and tell me how I did/what I need to fix. ;_;
    It's an xdelta patch with a self-patching .bat to make life easier. Make sure your rom's titled "ind-nsr2.nds".

[​IMG]

-Quest Mode UI is 100% translated
    -Survival Mode UI is 100% translated
    -Items on bottom screen have English effects written on them
    -"Options" 100% translated
    -Wireless play mostly translated
    -Stagenames have literal translation (...not much of one, really - they're pretty straightforward)
    -You'll know who you're unlocking! Everyone!
    -Story mode prologue translated! (emulators freeze when I try to get screens

2. Noitora

Member Noitora ::

Greece
    Wait, isn't this coming to Europe?

3. DrkXShadowZ

Newcomer DrkXShadowZ Member

United States
    What are the chances of possibly getting a full translation for the story? Not that everything that you've already done isn't impressive enough, of course. I'm going to give this patch a shot and run it on my CycloDS. Thanks for your hard work!

4. kosheh
    OP

United States
    This game...well, it won't be coming out for a good two years - not until the story progresses - and by then they'll have added so many pointless characters and game modes that it won't be the same game. It's quite a regular practice with Naruto games, Noitora.
    The Clash of Ninja Revolution games are the Shippuuden Gekitou Ninja Taisen games, with the pre-timeskip character and stage files and then some revisions to the engine to balance it out further.

Ninja Destiny II, the one out in Europe isn't the game you think it is - it's Shinobi Retsuden II but with ALL the Shippuuden content taken out. It's...pretty bad
    It's a horrendous unbalanced mess, with the older characters having extremely large advantages over the younger ones (who were nerfed in Retsuden II)
    Stick both on your flashcart/emulator/whatever, play them for an hour and then get back to me on how much more dull ND2 is

@DrkXShadowZ: I'll be translating the game more at some later point - but Shinobi Retsuden III is coming out at the end of this month. I'll be putting my focus on that; spend a week or two on it and then regularly update both games, one chapter at a time.

5. Noitora

Member Noitora ::

Greece
    I see, that's really lame. Well, I might be able to help when the 3rd game comes out [​IMG]

6. DarthNemesis

Member DarthNemesis GBAtemp Maniac

United States

7. kosheh
    OP

United States
    Good idea

8. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    a possible option would be the 2nd name for the no-tailed form
    demon coat naruto
    4 tailed naruto

the 0 tailed form is never called that in games from what i know, but the stage at which no tails have formed yet is often called the demon coat in the anime(or rather, the orange glow around naruto)

9. DrkXShadowZ

Newcomer DrkXShadowZ Member

United States
    Wow, didn't know about III coming out so soon. Then again, I've only just started playing II recently, so it's not like I've been following the series the entire time...
    Anyway, best of luck with translating III! You did a great job with this one. I'm sure you'll do the same for the next!

10. kosheh
    OP

United States
    Thanks!

11. Gundam Eclipse

Member Gundam Eclipse True Demon Route

India
    So wait, you are already done/putting-off-for-a-while with the translation of Draglade 2? T_T?

And i must say this patch is pretty awesome. Made me wanna play NSR2 again.

12. kosheh
    OP

United States
    no, no, no.
    Draglade 2 is pretty boring and repetitive as hell to translate. I usually have to replace the same image 3 times and it gets quite annoying after awhile. xD
    Shinobi Retsuden II was much easier to work with, being that I can spend a day on one part of the game and then it's done. That's why I never posted, asking for help on translating any parts of the game.

...TBH, I don't really need any help translating NSRIII, minus the fact that tiling images can get very annoying after awhile. It'd be nice if I had a program with a user-friendly GUI that helped me tile stuff.
    But for stuff pertaining to the patch, the game script is always the most tedious...so most likely I'll be asking for people to help me translate chapters of the game.
    I'll be a little more specific on translation details once the game's released, but let me say that you don't need to know Japanese in order to work on it.

13. OldschoolKid123

Newcomer OldschoolKid123 Member

United States
    1.thx for patch
    2.can you pls translate the kyuubi character pls in english thx [​IMG]

Posts merged

1.thx for patch
    2.can you pls translate the kyuubi character pls in english thx [​IMG]

14. Erizo

Newcomer Erizo Advanced Member

Mexico
    Very, very nice..! Downloading and testing right now =)

Loved this game [​IMG]

15. kosheh
    OP

United States
    I've been very lazy

I really don't like penning the names for the characters at the Select Screen, especially the small VS names - it's very time consuming and...not fun.

16. Erizo

Newcomer Erizo Advanced Member

Mexico
    Uhm... i've just tried it, and the translated images look a little bit like cut off (like if it would have been done on paint xD), and when i started the story mode, when playing would start after the intro, the game just gave me a black screen T_T

17. Azsharah

Newcomer Azsharah Newbie

Canada
    Do you think that you could upload the actual .xdelta patch? The self patching.bat doesn't seem to be working for me.

Edit: Nevermind, ignore this. Just had to rename the DS rom without the .nds extension for it to work.

18. kosheh
    OP

United States
    whoop whoop new patch revision

I've been doing a little more work on the Shinobi Retsuden III names today, though lol.

Also how are you guys messing up the patch? >_> it's as simple as clicking "patchin.bat".

No dragging, it just waits a second and then zip zam it gives you a slightly smaller file. The ROM is trimmed - it works on my R4, so that might just be the problem here; I haven't tried it with anything else besides emulators which they seem to work just fine in. (They do freeze up in Story Mode though and in battles on emulators, though)

19. punkyrule

Member punkyrule GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    i'll try the patch right now. thx for the translation. keep up the good work! [​IMG]

20. kosheh
    OP

United States
    Yeah for the most part, the patch is pretty done. All that needs to be done is story mode, but if you have a slight idea of the Naruto storyline you'll catch onto it pretty quickly. The game tries to condense two arcs so it fits into one game, though :I

I'll come back and work on it now and then, of course for those who don't follow the show :] I've just been busy with stuff and unable to work on my patches.

DarthNemesis - if you're reading this you seem to have a good handle with that Japanese language eh.
    There's three new items in Shinobi Retsuden III and it'd be nice to start early, by any chance, can you tell me what the top kanji means?
    [​IMG]
    I know what they are and their purpose in the show, and the bottom right corner denotes their strength (lo, med, hi) but the top left should say what their effect is. Got any idea? >_>