NAND Housekeeping

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by thesund0g, Aug 22, 2009.

Aug 22, 2009

NAND Housekeeping by thesund0g at 4:01 PM (801 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. thesund0g
    OP

Member thesund0g GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    Hey everyone. I've got a couple of questions regarding my NAND. I understand that any kind of dicking with my NAND is dangerous, and I have taken proper precautions.

First: I've read that using the system menu's channel delete option versus WAD manager results in some files left over on the NAND. Is this true?

Second: I'd like to clean the crap out of my NAND, particularly if the above is true. With NAND emulation here, I'd like to remove as much extraneous stuff from my NAND and move it to my NAND emu folder, or delete it outright if it's unneeded. I'm not trying to uninstall any hacks, return to a "virgin" NAND or anything goofy like that.

I've been reading up on the NAND filesystem structure on WiiBrew, but I'm wondering if there's any easy way to check, say, by the leftover tickets, for what scraps could be left behind. Does anyone follow?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

2. Gunfreak11

Member Gunfreak11 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It's stupid and accomplishes nothing but a risk of messing up and losing the ability to save files for that ID if the ticket is deleted. Still here?

1 - yes, tickets are leftover. These contain values that show that you own the game. They are less than a kilobyte in size (IIRC 256 bytes..). Deleting them only makes life harder.

2 - Your question?

The are only two reasons to delete those files, one being out of laziness. The lazy one is if you want to navigate through the NAND easier. Asides from bytes of data saved, it serves no purpose to general gameplay. The other is to remove tickets of pirated games or pirated game launchers for a Nintendo fix.

What is the purpose of clearing it out if no one will view it?

If you are still interested, the best method is AnyTitle Deleter Mod 6, as it has a large database. Be careful and don't delete ANY IOS or Hidden Channel.

3. olliepop2000

Member olliepop2000 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    some people are so neurotic lol

4. thesund0g
    OP

Member thesund0g GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    I was under the impression that it was more than jsut the ticket left over, that's why I was concerned. I wanted to look at the existing tickets to see what might be installed. If I wanted to send the Wii back to Nintendo, I'd be asking to "virgin-ize" my Wii NAND or whatever other silly term is going around now for formatting.

Actually, I went ahead and did ATD and just removed the entries for the channels that I had previously installed. Nothing blew up.

You're right, it prolly serves no useful purpose. But, I know the garbage is there, and that's reason enough to frustrate me. I like to keep my systems clean. Thanks anyways.