NAND dumping to USB HDD/Flash drive

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Kleiner, Jun 15, 2009.

Jun 15, 2009
  1. Kleiner
    OP

Newcomer Kleiner Member

United States
    Okay, so i'm new to the Wii modding scene, and i've been doing alot of research. my wii has bootMii installed, and the prime power of bootMii is backing up your NAND files in case of a brick, in order to fix your shit.

Now, here's my question; is there any way to dump your NANd files to anything other than a SD card? My SD card is only 512 megs, too small for the NAND files. however i have multiple large USB files, and my USB HDD running a WBFS and a NTFS file system partion. Is there any way to dump the NAND fiels to anything other than an SD card, or am i just boned and forced to go buy a larger SD card?

2. TroyTheZombie

Member TroyTheZombie GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    nope. Bootmii only supports SD cards at the moment.

3. zektor

Member zektor GBAtemp Maniac

United States

I do not believe there is a way currently. 512MB sd card eh? Man, I haven't even seen one of those in ages [​IMG]

4. Dteyn

Member Dteyn GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    BootMii is low-level meaning it loads up before the rest of the Wii's internal software. This is why there's no support for Wiimotes or USB Devices, because all that stuff is taken care of by the Wii's internal software.

BootMii would need to have USB support coded into it, then mass storage device support for USB devices before you can do NAND dumps to USB. It's not to say that it can't be done, just that it's a LOT of work that is somewhat unnecessary when you consider that other alternatives are available. 1gb SD cards go for as cheap as $10 these days depending on where you're from.

I should add, you could try using another NAND dumper instead of BootMii... any of the NAND dumpers that load from the Homebrew Channel should be able to support USB devices (if the program author coded it in), since they are running on top of the Wii's internal software and have access to the Wii's peripherals as such.

5. Kleiner
    OP

Newcomer Kleiner Member

United States
    Dteyn, that's exactly what i needed to hear. Could you maybe link me to some of these possiblities?

Also, Zektor, the thing's old as hell. I had a 1GB but.. it's gone missing somewhere, as the little fuckers tend to do...

6. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Those other nand dumping tools wouldn't be compatible with bootmiis restoremii functionality though would it? Don't they output different file types?

7. Kleiner
    OP

Newcomer Kleiner Member

United States
    Crap. Hopes... dashed!

8. Dteyn

Member Dteyn GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Yeah, I should have mentioned that... the other NAND dumpers won't be compatible with BootMii's flash format.

Maybe now that BootMii is out though, some of the authors of those programs could make their NAND utilities output BootMii-compatible NAND dumps. That way you could still make a backup using a USB device through the HBC, and be able to restore it via BootMii using an SD card in the event something goes wrong.

Until then though I still think your best bet is to find a 1gb or 2gb SD card. Even DX has them for cheap, $8.70 for a 2gb card: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.862

9. Kleiner
    OP

Newcomer Kleiner Member

United States
    Oh well, thanks for thei nformation guys! I've only got one choice, and it's time to go shopping.