ROM Hack NAND dumping on New 3DS XL v.s. Old3DS XL

runner77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello to all you eminent GBAtemp'ers! I just want to ask you a few questions! Why is the NAND on the New3DS XL so much more difficult to dump than the NAND on the Old3DS XL? The first two machines I hardmoded was the old version and the first, random SD card reader i found in the house worked right away. I think we had 7-8 lying around in the house. I'm 100% sure my soldering work is OK and my "franken SD adapter" is the same I used on the first two mods, all the connections are double checked with a multimeter "beeper" from the 3DS mainboard to the franken SD and everything is the same as my earlier work on the Old3DS XL's. I have now tried all the SD card readers in the house, family's readers and a few friends card readers too, but with no luck. No drive letters show up in the file explorer window and no question about formating the drive of course. Is the new NAND or eMMC chip in the new 3DS models so much more "picky" on the reader used to dump than the old Samsung and Toshiba based NAND's? i have not yet tried one of the recommended readers from this forum, but think I have to order the Anker USB 3.0 or one of the other models who is confirmed to work. I have now tried almost 15 different readers but not one single one works. Many of them gives the same (correct) bootrom error codes then I connect the franken SD to the reader and switch on the 3DS. But nothing happens then I plug in the reader into the pc. Is the recommended readers so important to use on the new 3ds models? Anyone else who have found a lot of readers who works on the old models, but had the same problems with the new models of 3DS? The NAND chip on the New3DS XL have no name on it, (not Toshiba,Samsung or anything recognicable) only numbers and letters. I regret I did not take a picture of the mainboard or wrote down the stamping / numbers before I reassembled the unit. The unit was bought in Oslo, Norway a few days into 2017 and is brand new. Can anyone tell me more about the NAND in this unit if I find ot what is written on it? Or is it better to place the 3DS on a shelf until I get my own Anker card reader? If you can recommend a thread discussing the difference between old and new 3DS NAND dumping I would be very happy!

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have no idea about your question but if 53 people saw your post and no one answered, I'm going to guess it has something to do with your formatting. Just a little advice:

Every once in a while you must give your reader permission to take a break from your stream of words for the purpose of processing the meaning—figuring out what it is, and whether he or she agrees. Among the permission-giving signals, in increasing order of magnitude, are comma, semicolon, sentence break, paragraph break, new section heading, and new chapter heading. Being too stingy with any leads to reader fatigue. Being too stingy with paragraph breaks leads to the specific kind of reader fatigue that generates accusations of “run-on paragraphs.”

Reactions: Asia81

runner77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So I have no idea about your question but if 53 people saw your post and no one answered, I'm going to guess it has something to do with your formatting. Just a little advice:

Every once in a while you must give your reader permission to take a break from your stream of words for the purpose of processing the meaning—figuring out what it is, and whether he or she agrees. Among the permission-giving signals, in increasing order of magnitude, are comma, semicolon, sentence break, paragraph break, new section heading, and new chapter heading. Being too stingy with any leads to reader fatigue. Being too stingy with paragraph breaks leads to the specific kind of reader fatigue that generates accusations of “run-on paragraphs.”

Thank You! I will take your advice. My writing is far from good, but have in mind that I'm from Norway and for me writing in English is not like writing in Norwegian language. Anyway the comma setting and sentence break could be much better. To read what I'm writing is I bit heavy and make people go away instead of answering my central questions. But again sorry for my bad english!

Reactions: Majickhat55

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I'm assuming it's mainly just due to additional interference caused by the n3ds's wiring, I seen that the wiiu nand can only be dumped if the clk point is completely disconnected from the system allowing the pc exclusive access to the nand, I'm assuming it's probably a similar situation happening here and specific card readers are less susceptible to the additional interference that comes from having the same chip wired up to 2 interfaces simultaneously

If you were wanting to really test this you could try cutting the clk trace and seeing if that improves sd compatibility......although it does seem like the extreme option and you would of course need to bridge it back again one finished

(Ps no liability if you completely screw up your console in the process)

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night