Hacking NAND Backup..

67birdman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi there
I have done installing homebrew channel on my wii.
I am about to restore the Trucha bug, and then install CiOS on 4.2U.
I was just wondering, do you have to use an SD card to backup your NAND with Hackmii?
Is there any other way, I have a flash drive, or is there another program to do this?
Thanks

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
you have no choice but to use the sd then like jaz stated, just copy it to you computer so that you could retrieve it again to sd if there is a necessity to restore later.

67birdman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
jazvdb said:
Nope but if your wondering about space,
you could always move it to your pc and delete it off your SD card...
Yeah, because I have only a 128 MB card, and I believe the backup is 500 mb or so..
But do you all recommend it? Does it work for a full brick when on boot2 or just a semi brick?
Im installing a CiOS, so what do you suggest?
wacko.gif

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
67birdman said:
Yeah, because I have only a 128 MB card, and I believe the backup is 500 mb or so..
But do you all recommend it? Does it work for a full brick when on boot2 or just a semi brick?
wacko.gif
better install bootmii as boot2 even if you don't want to make a nand backup. at least when you get bricked, i hope not, you could still access your wii and recover from the brick. but if you could invest for at least a 2gb sd later, do the nand backup. it works likes a system restore on your pc.

ConJ

The Toker
Trophies
Website
xat.com
XP
Country
longtom1 said:
boot2 is the nutz and can recover from any type of brick I think as long as you can access it and have a good nand backup

Couldnt agree more. Having bootmii as boot2 is the best brick protection you can have.

Just make sure you have a NAND backup, and all will be fine.

I back my NAND up, twice a month usually. (Depends how much you use your Wii)

And if im gonna be installing wads I do a backup right before. (Just in case, better safe than sorry)

67birdman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
razorback78 said:
67birdman said:
wacko.gif
better install bootmii as boot2 even if you don't want to make a nand backup. at least when you get bricked, i hope not, you could still access your wii and recover from the brick. but if you could invest for at least a 2gb sd later, do the nand backup. it works likes a system restore on your pc.
So it can restore without a backup? And also can I use someone else's backup for my wii, patch or something?
blink.gif

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
razorback78 said:
67birdman said:
So it can restore without a backup? And also can I use someone else's backup for my wii, patch or something?
blink.gif
yes it is possible to restore a nand backup from another wii.

Not without some work though. You also would need the keys from your Wii as well or you can't change the other persons backup to work for your Wii.

What was meant by still being able to fix a brick as long as you at least have bootmii installed as boot2, is that if you get bricked, you should still be able to access the HBC from bootmii or at least a wad manager with cboot2 and using that you can likely fix whatever it is you did to mess your Wii up. A NAND restore is pretty much just an easy way out to just go back in time to before you fucked up, but in doing it you will lose EVERYTHING done between the time you made the backup and the time you restored it, which is why periodic backups are suggested or at least fresh ones before you do any new installations of anything.

Also, it's highly unlikely that installing a cIOS alone will brick your Wii. A brick is generally caused by messing with something to do with the boot process/system menu and mostly a user doing something really stupid like uninstalling their system menu IOS or even the system menu itself. A slightly less user faulted way of bricking is installing a wad of some channel with a badly formed banner which will cause a banner brick. For those types of bricks, even if you can't install bootmii to boot2 on your Wii, pre/priiloader is enough to fix a banner brick (though boot2 bootmii can as well). To fix that all you need to do is load the HBC/wad manager from preloader or bootmii and then just uninstall the bad wad that caused it (Don't apply this fix to IOS wad's though, especially system menu IOS wad's.)

67birdman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
nabster92 said:
razorback78 said:
67birdman said:
blink.gif

Not without some work though. You also would need the keys from your Wii as well or you can't change the other persons backup to work for your Wii.

What was meant by still being able to fix a brick as long as you at least have bootmii installed as boot2, is that if you get bricked, you should still be able to access the HBC from bootmii or at least a wad manager with cboot2 and using that you can likely fix whatever it is you did to mess your Wii up. A NAND restore is pretty much just an easy way out to just go back in time to before you fucked up, but in doing it you will lose EVERYTHING done between the time you made the backup and the time you restored it, which is why periodic backups are suggested or at least fresh ones before you do any new installations of anything.

Also, it's highly unlikely that installing a cIOS alone will brick your Wii. A brick is generally caused by messing with something to do with the boot process/system menu and mostly a user doing something really stupid like uninstalling their system menu IOS or even the system menu itself. A slightly less user faulted way of bricking is installing a wad of some channel with a badly formed banner which will cause a banner brick. For those types of bricks, even if you can't install bootmii to boot2 on your Wii, pre/priiloader is enough to fix a banner brick (though boot2 bootmii can as well). To fix that all you need to do is load the HBC/wad manager from preloader or bootmii and then just uninstall the bad wad that caused it (Don't apply this fix to IOS wad's though, especially system menu IOS wad's.)
Oh, shit, I wouldn't be able to find out what I did wrong..
hate2.gif

O well, now im gonna need to get an sD card..

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
67birdman said:
nabster92 said:
razorback78 said:
67birdman said:
blink.gif

Oh, shit, I wouldn't be able to find out what I did wrong..
hate2.gif

O well, now im gonna need to get an sD card..
sorry birdman if i did not elaborate further my answer on using another wii's nand for bootmii restore. i was not in the mood yesterday.
rolleyes.gif
anyways nabster already discussed all the issues to you completely. yeah buy a new sd card.
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: it won't make it better or worse