NAND Backup

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by micahkanchan, Jun 18, 2009.

Jun 18, 2009

NAND Backup by micahkanchan at 9:02 PM (801 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. micahkanchan
    OP

Member micahkanchan GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Okay, so I just bought a new wii because the wii I had at launch recently had graphic problems (green lines). I got it used so its cheaper than what nintendo charges to fix my wii. Heres the deal. I have a modchip soldered on to my old wii. I want to remove the drive and put it on the new wii, then take the nand backup using bootmii off my old wii and put it on my new wii. Is this possible and if so will all my saves and vc games be there?

2. Det1re

Member Det1re det1re.de

Germany
  3. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Basically that link will tell you you can't normally just backup a different Wii's NAND because the keys are different,

If your Wii is new, then you most likely won't even be able to install bootmii to boot2 in the first place.

If it's REALLY new as in LU64+. You will be even more limited in your homebrew options, and will basically have to use bootmii as an IOS with cboot2 to install cIOS and then be content with having that and never downgrade anything.

Save games you should be able to backup onto an SD card and move them to your new one in a similar fashion to putting the twilight hack on your wii if you did that before. VC games you would either have to rebuy on the new Wii or pirate them.

4. micahkanchan
    OP

Canada
    Hmm..well. This stupid wii graphics card issue is really bothering me. I actually was referring to bootmii as per the nand backup process but if thats not possible is there any way i can fix my actual wii with this stupid green pixels on screen bc of my graphics card?

5. nabster92

United States
    Yea that link IS referring to the bootmii's nand backup process and says that you can't use backups from different Wii's to restore because the Wii's backups are made with different keys.

As to the green pixels thing, that's more of a hardware problem that any softmodding shouldn't be able to fix, and even if you sent it to Nintendo to fix, they probably wouldn't give you back the same Wii, but as long as they don't screw you you should get a new wii with your vc games/saves intact (though it is entirely possible to just get a fresh new possibly refurbed Wii with none of your stuff) And if you do go that route you would probably want to get rid of all the stuff you did to your Wii beforehand.

6. micahkanchan
    OP

Canada
    Lol. I just called nintendo, and supposedly my third party cable sent charges into my wii, and destroyed the gpu. Thats why I have to pay $96.00

7. nabster92

United States
    Call them again and don't tell them you used 3rd party cables

8. micahkanchan
    OP

Canada
    Yeah I'll do that definately. Just thought it'd be a good laugh. Wait. One thing. Would they notice if I got an advance replacement and just switched out the dvd drives and return the old one formatted? I'd like to do this as I have a drive modded with a Wiikey 2. Soldered.