Nand Backup Question

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ShineStar, Oct 10, 2009.

Oct 10, 2009

Nand Backup Question by ShineStar at 4:45 PM (945 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. ShineStar
    OP

Newcomer ShineStar Advanced Member

Canada
    Hey guys,
    I have bootmii installed as IOS with preloader along with system menu 4.1
    I know this is going to sound like a stupid idea, but i was just wondering:
    my earliest backup of my wii nand was when i first hacked my wii, even before i installed preloader - it only had hbc and bootmii ios installed,
    if i were to backup to that nand with bootmii ios, would the fact that I already have preloader installed screw everything up?
    like, will bootmii's recover process be all screwed up because prelaoder was installed?

also, does bootmii tell you if your nand backup is corrupt before it reinstalls it?
    like, when it checks for changes in the backup and the actual nand?

and lastly,
    what are the actual chances of a successful ios nand restore?
    i mean, if the nand isnt corrupt, and the power doesnt go out, will the restore work 100% of the time?

The reason i'm asking is because i want to virginize my wii, and it seems like every guide for that is a pain in the ass and either outdated or completely confusing.
    i feel like the easiest thing to do would be to return to this backup and uninstall bootmii/hbc

2. Det1re

Member Det1re det1re.de

Germany
    Preloader will be overwritten, as well as the rest of the NAND.
    Besides the check if a dump is for a different Wii, there is no currupt-check to my knowledge. It will simply abort recovery on simulation mode, if there's an exception.

3. ShineStar
    OP

Canada
    And as for the success percent, do you know the answer to that?

4. nIxx

Member nIxx GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    BootMii will bring you back where the NAND backup was made (it simply checks what was changed and compare it with the NAND backup and bring the changed parts back to the backuped NAND state) and yes it´s 100% safe there even a simulation before anything is written.

5. ShineStar
    OP

Canada
    but i've updated the bootmii ios since then, will that screw anything up?

6. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Restoring a nand backup is to recover from bricks. If you are able to recover your nand with BootMii IOS only, then the Wii is not bricked. Also restoring the nand with BootMii IOS is not recommended, there's at least one confirmed brick caused by this.

7. ShineStar
    OP

Canada
    I already knew that
    im not an idiot
    but every other guide to virginize a wii is too outdated and newer threads where people ask never end up with a final answer.
    im just trying to make sure i can avoid any obvious bricks before/if i decide to restore my nand.
    im pretty much 99% sure i wont right now, im just trying to get some facts first.