Question NAND Backup, do i have to use my own?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by DZane, Aug 12, 2018.

1. DZane
    OP

DZane Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2018
    France
    Hi,

I got two questions....

1. I have booted into ReiNX and have installed Zelda BOTW by converting my xci to nsp (I bought Zelda, so i got the original card). I have installed The Game in the SD Card. Am i still able to make a NAND Backup or am i screwed?

Im not interested zu Play online but also Not to get banned ^^'.

Can i still make the "clean" backup?

Or...

2. Can i make a NAND Backup of a Second switch (of my roommate) and use it for my switch or can i brick it or get 100% banned when i'm trying to do so?

2. TR_mahmutpek

TR_mahmutpek medic

Jul 28, 2015
    Turkey
    You can always dump nand unless its corrupted (actually you can still dump that but it will be useless). And you can dump all things (system+user files+games) or for save space/time you can dump only system. For more info hekate ctacer mod!

3. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    I think he means, can he restore the backup from another system, because he is worried his Nand will get him banned if he goes online because he steals games and beat up a child, so the Nintendo police are gonna put a weenie in his butt.

The question is:

Can you save him/his butt.

TR_mahmutpek likes this.
  4. DeadlyFoez

DeadlyFoez GBAtemp Guru

GBAtemp Patron
    DeadlyFoez is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 12, 2009
    United States
    Actually, I instead would like to record it and put it on youtube. It will go viral.

Ericthegreat likes this.
  5. DZane
    OP

DZane Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2018
    France
    There is an Tutorial to Backup your switch using hekate (BOOT0, BOOT1......).

But there is also a Note to do it before you run a CFW or install a NSP.

So, i just wanna know... can i do a "factory reset" and them make a clean backup of my switch System or are there already Logs in my System and i just would get a "dirty" Backup?

And if it so, can i use a Second switch to "copy" his state on my switch or will this brick my switch ?

Its not "stealing" when i bought the Game ....

Last edited by DZane, Aug 12, 2018
  6. Mat37

Mat37 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 3, 2016
    France
    Does it matter ?
    You can't restore a backup from another console that's for sure

DZane likes this.
  7. Ericthegreat

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    I saw a mod on reinx discord saying that boot0/boot1 is the same on all systems, but something about system needs to be from your system?

8. Mat37

Dec 3, 2016
    France
    Does it matter ?
    If you can inject a BOOT0/1 from Choidujour then the problem doesn't come from that for sure

9. Ericthegreat

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    This was more of a joke, no one on gbatemp cares.

10. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    E8 lattice
    It is though, from what I understand is the cart cert is different than an eshop cert so even though you own the cart you are not entitled to run an nsp eshop version. In reality you would have to purchase the eshop title, which you haven't, thief... Enjoy your ban. Moihahahaha!

11. iriez

iriez GBAtemp Fan

Oct 27, 2016
    United States
    Bootloader's are typically not system specific, at least in many iterations of hardware I have worked with. But your system is u ique because it is associated with keys related to your hardware. Your cart port for example has a specific set of keys that matches with your system.

The answer to your question is no, you cannot make a clean backup now, and no you cannot use another person's backup. Reinx has a new/updated sysmodule as it relates to not storing logs but I'm unsure as to the extent of effectiveness of it as I briefly read about it 2 days ago with 1.2 release.

But using a xci to nsp converter is bound to produce funky logs. There is definitely some bogus ticket stuff going on to make that process work as your cart cert cannot be used with a nsp conversion install.

Ericthegreat and DZane like this.
  12. Stone-D

Stone-D Member

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2018
    Indonesia
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Most of the partitions are encrypted using console-specific keys (that's what biskeydump fetches)... so... no. Not really.

DZane likes this.
  13. Mr. Wizard

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    E8 lattice
    You "could" mount those partitions and just copy the shit over. I mean, that's how I upgraded my firmware. There must be another reason. You would need to change the console specific cert, the one that is getting banned, and I don't think there is a way to do that yet. You can't transfer prodinfo to another console I don't think. Why I don't know.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard, Aug 12, 2018
  14. Canna

Canna Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom

GBAtemp Patron
    Canna is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 14, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Your wrong but also right..
    Its totally possible to use any source of system version either from x bin someones elses console or choirdujour you have to use hacdiskmount tho with xbins and someone elses system nand and enter your own biskeys ... system keys
    But i may be wrong regarding certificate etc

If you have used home brew or any cfw or done anything non stock then you cant get your self a clean nand from your own system..

but thinking about it you could make ya self a clean nand only if you know the source is clean like say a stock nand of someone elses system. or the ones found on xbins.. as long as you use your system keys you should be fine. in theory this still may not be possible cause im not sure about how the certificates are stored or created.So this is just a thought and something i need to look into at this time tho i dont think possible..

I made a guide if your interested in back up and restoring
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/backup-...eys-keys-txt-guide.513386/page-5#post-8201009

You could make a cleaner nand of what you have but with a guide like this
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...nofficially-without-burning-any-fuses.507461/
    but this wont be a virgin nand
    or use a program on switch called choidulourNx but your have to find the guide for that.

If anyone could inform me if my theory would work and or why it wouldn't that be great

Also i feel every homebrew post or cfw or mention of system modification should show that you should make a virgin nand /clean backup before anything.

Thanks for reading have a good day folks

Milad likes this.
  15. Mat37

Dec 3, 2016
    France
    Does it matter ?
    Of course you can transfer system NCAs over systems, but i mean you can't take a RAW NAND Backup from another console

Canna likes this.
  16. Canna

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 14, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Why what is it exaclty that is holding us back ? would you mind explaining please, or point me in the right direction thank you

17. Mr. Wizard

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    E8 lattice
    prodinfo

Canna likes this.
  18. Canna

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 14, 2018
    United Kingdom
    And we cant edit that with hacdiskmount or transfer out information from our prod to new ?
    But thanks il look into this

Edit oh i see it stores the system id

Last edited by Canna, Aug 12, 2018
  19. RobCat030

RobCat030 Member

Newcomer
    May 29, 2018
    United States
    Why would you want to transfer prodinfo anyway?

20. Canna

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 14, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Nevermind i was discussing with someone else

RobCat030 likes this.