Nand backup and writing it back on Vwii

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by jaouad, Oct 30, 2013.

1. jaouad
    OP

jaouad GBAtemp Regular

Sep 25, 2008
    Netherlands
    Hi guys.

So i'm sending my wiiu to nintendo repairs and I decided to backup the nand and turn it into a virgin.

I stumbled apon FS toolbox and dumping the nand to SD card worked but when I try to test out the writing back to NAND it gives an "fopen error" or whatever that is.

Basically guys, could you please help me find the best solution to backup the nand and if i'm going in the right track, how would I write back the nand to my vwii when I get it back from nintendo

thanks in advance

2. Hielkenator

Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 7, 2010
    Netherlands
    As far as I know, this is not waterproof yet.
    Though, replacing files one by one might work.....

3. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Replacing files, and deleting unused ones will not make a clean NAND. It will only modify the file's allocation table for visible files but will not clean unused blocks.
    The only clean Dump/restore process is done with a hardware NAND flasher.
    Nintendo can detect if you installed the homebew channel or any other channels, even if you delete them. It doesn't mean that they will check it, but just know that all you did left a trace.

As for the best way to restore your files, one by one is (currently) the only way to do it.
    Do you really have that many files to restore? can't you just use some homebrew to backup your savegames in batch (savegameManagerGX) or reinstall all your channels in batch (wad manager), instead of accessing the NAND yourself?