NA Playstation Plus Membership to go up in price

playstation-plus1.jpg

Starting September 22nd 2016, Sony is increasing the price of a Playstation Plus Memebership in North America. The Playstation Blog has been updated with August's game list as well as the pricing info.

12 months will be $59.99 USD / $69.99 CAD
3 months wiil be $24.99 USD / $29.99 CAD
Monthly will be $9.99 USD / $11.99 CAD

:arrow:Source

Last edited by endoverend,
Reactions: Rizzorules

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you only get to keep the games on the 360 after cancellation, on the xb1 you need an activate subscription to play any games with gold

Given how long I've had ps+ and how many ps3 games I have through the service, that would still be a win. Especially if it extended to the Vita. Most of the PS4 freebies have been, well, underwhelming.

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
at least they didnt raise the monthly rate (even tho most probably paid yearly, like myself). You can stock up on yearly subscriptions if you want at the $50 price.

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
It's crazy how people are tripping over a $10 and what, a $7 increase...Most of you probably spend $40-$60 every other month (maybe every month) on a new game. The funniest part is the complaints about the free games....Do you expect a new AAA game every month or something?

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Its getting an increase here in banana land too, just received the email from Sony. 30% here, will renew for 1 more year before it happens.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

Its getting an increase here in banana land too, just received the email from Sony. 30% here, will renew for 1 more year before it happens.
So how much is it going to cost for South Americans now, if I may ask?

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't see this has news worthy. Slow day at the office? Lol.

The month n 3 month prices went up by 4 cents and the year price went up by 10 dollars. Not that big of a deal. That 10 dollar a year increase works out to be a 83 cents a month increase for the year. Again not a big deal. That's like 8-12 cups of coffee, a year less you could give up to continue the yearly price.

4 cents? I paid $17.99 for 3 months and now its $24.99. That's $7. Still waiting for an email from Sony about this (Do I need to be subscribed to a newsletter or anything?) since I'm not in North America but I am in a region where I'm billed in USD.

PS Plus was already dropping in value. This just makes me glad I didn't renew my subscription. If they actually start giving solid games each month I'll consider resubscribing, but if it keeps going the way it has been I won't renew it.

The August lineup was great. Rebel Galaxy which is a huge hit at the moment and which all my PC friends are paying $20+ for is mighty fun, and Tricky Towers is a weird spin on Tetris where there's gravity involved. Let's not forget we were given exclusive access to that Resident Evil 7 demo. These titles are getting a lot of playtime out of me, at least.

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The funniest part is the complaints about the free games....Do you expect a new AAA game every month or something?

Not really complaining about the ps plus since it's a no brainer except in very rare scenarios, but I expect respect from Sony and games on par with the console capabilities and not android games in the likes of tricky towers. The games are not free, sony milks at least 100 million USD a month which gives them more than 10 million dollars for each developer to make their game available on the service.

Well, Tricky Towers and Broforce definitely don't look like 10 million dollars to me, more like 10 thousand.

And if it weren't outrageous enough the way it is, Tricky Towers has dlc.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So how much is it going to cost for South Americans now, if I may ask?
A banana land walmart worker makes 30 BR$ a day, a PS$ costs ~ 1.900 BR$, AAA new releases go for 230 BR$ and PS Plus goes for 99 BR$ for an year and will go up in price for 129 BR$ yearly and 24,99 BR$ monthly according to Sony's email.

At least the PS Plus is cheap here, compared to everything else.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you only get to keep the games on the 360 after cancellation, on the xb1 you need an activate subscription to play any games with gold

Not true. My gold has been expired on for a few weeks already. No other account currently on my xbox one has gold. My free games are still playable. You are confusing playstation plus "free" games with xbox one's truely free ,games with gold.

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You lose access to the "free" games if you stop paying PSN right?
So I guess they can safely increase the price every once in a while to exploit that sweet sunk cost fallacy now that they hold so many games hostage. Infact that's probably a major reason for why they designed the subscription model this way (that is, tying multiplayer access with "free" game deals together with no option to get either individually).

Never going to pay a single cent for peer2peer, as I already pay those money to my ISP; and I don't need to pay taxes for services that don't exist. Hope at least nintendo won't jump on that cancerous bandwagon nextgen.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
this is a complete bullshit, u can HAVE EITHER GOOD online service even it's free, both M$ and $ony are just pretending to much mohney...just take STEAM as a good example, pc games are far cheaper than consols' one, and it's also free from any premium multi player online service, beside free SHITTY games should be never ever be a reason to have up us to get gold/psn+......

Last edited by leon315,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Not true. My gold has been expired on for a few weeks already. No other account currently on my xbox one has gold. My free games are still playable. You are confusing playstation plus "free" games with xbox one's truely free ,games with gold.
What happens to my Games with Gold games if I cancel my Xbox Live Gold subscription?

On Xbox One, you will no longer be able to access your Games with Gold titles if you cancel your subscription. However, if you decide to renew your subscription at any time, you will be able to access and play your previously redeemed Games with Gold titles again.

On Xbox 360, any Games with Gold titles that you redeem as an Xbox Live Gold member are yours to keep, regardless of whether you continue your subscription.
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/my-account/xbox-live-membership/games-with-gold-faq

:rolleyes:

HomebrewJay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good thing I moved on to PC gaming. The PS4 is only good for exclusive games honestly; nothing else. Then again, I shouldn't really complain since Sony publishes really good ones..

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Err...no? The price is effective on the 22nd, as in starting on the 22nd all PS+ memberships will change to this price. You could purchase a hundred thousand 1 year subscriptions before that date for the original price and each one would still give you a year.

As for the news, who cares? As Joe said, PS+ cards go on sale so often you'll never pay full price 99% of the time.
The question I have is if the cards will still be discounted to the $35-40 range I see them once they increase the base price.

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice. *turns auto renewal off*

Jokes aside, I really only use my PS4 for single player games anyway. No clue why I even pay for PSPlus. At least No Man's Sky doesn't require PSPlus to play, though it got super repetitive after a few hours.

Last edited by Selim873,

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol 10 dollars and everyone loses their shit fail

Some people have to go as far as cancelling something if it's even $10 more. I've had to cancel Spotify Plus ($10 a month) because I was afraid of not being able to pay bills. And some people will only buy month cards and use them when they know they'll play online and stay offline most of the year.

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some people have to go as far as cancelling something if it's even $10 more. I've had to cancel Spotify Plus ($10 a month) because I was afraid of not being able to pay bills. And some people will only buy month cards and use them when they know they'll play online and stay offline most of the year.

I would understand if it cost 60 bucks a month, but this is 12 months. For 60 dollars. I think a homeless person could make more money in a year by getting atleast a quarter in change everyday.

If someone is that worried about 60 dollars a year and worried that might affect their being able to pay bills or not, then, to be honest..I don't think they should buying a Playstation Plus or a PS4 in the first place.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sony may as well bump it up to $150 then, make even more money if that's how people see it. Don't worry, it's still only $2.88 a week, you can just go without a cup of coffee.

It's not just about the $10 bump, it's a price increase while the service and games being offered get worse. It's 2016 and you still can't change your psn name. 2 factor auth is just barely rolling out (test phase in Aus and NZ). It's a price bump that Sony has done nothing to justify.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP9YR4BXrzA