[NA] Etrian Odyssey IV demo is up!

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by ferofax, Feb 7, 2013.

1. ferofax
    OP

ferofax End of the World

Jan 26, 2009
    Philippines
    Just do a search, it wasn't up on the main page when I downloaded. Playing it currently. Been up for about half a day now.

30 uses, level10 cap, but pretty much do what you want, kind of like the Denpa Men demo. Which means you can play for as long as you like. Has a persistent save too.

Oh, and awesome music. But I personally think the 3D effect of the dungeon is a bit on the weak side, shame. Audio is wonderful though, even so if you got sweet audio gear.

Lanlan likes this.

2. SignZ

SignZ Timelord

Jul 16, 2008
    Gambia, The
    I'm jealous. :( I want the demo on the EUR Eshop, too!

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  3. BORTZ

BORTZ Neighborhood Friendly

Global Moderator
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Downloaded. Ill play it later.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  4. Terenigma

Terenigma Terenigma everywhere

Nov 10, 2008
    Earth
    Oh my god, i went on eshop hoping for a good new demo today and i got that frigging switch screen robot platformer and NA gets EO4?! NOT FAIR!!!

5. BORTZ

Global Moderator
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    So i tried the demo and i feel claustrophobic and cluttered

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  6. GeekyGuy

GeekyGuy Professional loafer

Global Moderator
    Jun 21, 2007
    United States
    Yeah, kinda stumbled onto it on accident after finally updating my 3DS. Haven't touched it yet, as I'm currently hooked on FE, but I looked forward to seeing what they've got there.

7. Janthran

Janthran Solarian

Sep 17, 2011
    United States
    The Pacific Northwet
    It has that mapping thing like III, right?

8. Eerpow

Eerpow *swoosh*

Sep 14, 2009
    ERROR!
    Played the FE demo? Thoughts?
    We europeans don't have it yet, we don't have this either.

9. BORTZ

Global Moderator
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Its really good, I wanted it to go on... Im a pussy, so the idea of losing people in battle is not something ive ever been able to play with. Also making an avatar at the beginning is sweet.

I miss the lavish sprite animations, but the 3d models are ok.

EZ-Megaman and Eerpow like this.
  10. Eerpow

Eerpow *swoosh*

Sep 14, 2009
    ERROR!
    Kinda in the same boat as you.

But yeah probably getting it immediately once it releases here. People have been mixed with previous entries in the series and FE kinda had this niche group of hardcore players, but now everyone's getting this one and really enjoying it it seems. Reviews have been damn positive and not only does it feel like a good FE game to start with but it also gives you the option to fine tune the challenge to hard or lunatic if you need to. I know I like Advance Wars and I've played FE a little bit here and there before but I never really tried to play it for "real" if know what I mean. Looks like it won me over before trying the demo even. Hopefully N learned how powerful demos can be as it seems that a lot of people bought the game based on what the demo offered.
    Will be interesting to see how this performs sales wise compared to the other games in the series.

11. BORTZ

Global Moderator
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Im sure ill get it eventually. I have a rather large library already, and ive been neglecting lol.

Im playing Zelda Ocarina of time right now. For the first time ever haha. After that ive got Devil Survivor, Super Paper Mario, Adventure time, Cave Story, and something else... Cant remember what. But Then i have some other games on my radar...

rambling aside, yes this is a buy, eventually. I need a good SRPG haha. Devil Survivor will hold me over for a while.

The thing that scares me is the Advance Wars style fighting. Its rough on me haha. You can gang up on opponents to take them out quickly but you can also get dominated on so many fronts if you arent careful. Visually its stunning and you can choose from 3 camera angles in battle scenes. The story is going to be sweet and im ready for a good story driven game.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  12. Eerpow

Eerpow *swoosh*

Sep 14, 2009
    ERROR!
    Being busy means that portable gaming is the only way to go for me nowadays so having played a lot already there's been a lack of new 3DS releases lately, but there sure are a lot of things coming soon that I'm wanting.

13. BORTZ

Global Moderator
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I will be set once i import Terry's Wonderland :D

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  14. pokefloote

pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

Mar 20, 2009
    United States
    It will probably blow everything else out of the water sales-wise. It is massively available for the first time, I rarely ever saw a fire emblem in store shelves when Sacred Stones and the Ike GC and Wii games were released, but this game is available digitally AND all over stores (well, when the stupid shipping error is cleared up...) and like you said, everyone seems to be buying it, whether they played previous games or not.

To get back on topic, I couldn't get into EO III, and little seems to have changed in IV, but I want to give it a chance still. It's mainly that map system where you have to chart it yourself. I love the battle system, reminds me of SMT (atlus, duh).

Eerpow likes this.
  15. BORTZ

Global Moderator
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    OK

So i finally played the demo for EO4. I actually kinda enjoyed it*

So heres the run down for those of you who dont have access to it yet. Im guessing there isnt much of a difference for those of you who have played 3. I havent. I dabbled less than an hour with the first one myself, so this is kinda a new thing for me. The game starts you off in a town. No crew no nothing and only one location to travel to in that town. Luckily thats where you pick up people you want in your party. You enter and can recruit from about 8 different classes and 4 different looks for each. I registered one of each class, naming them all with common names from Adventures in Odyssey because i felt it appropriate.

After leaving the recruit center, you can then wander around town. You register with they mayor and take on a mission to show that you are a clan that means it. He gives you some cash that i spent (probably needlessly) equipping my team with weapons and some armor. Not everyone got some because my funds ran dry. I hate having to babysit my characters in RPGs. Buying weapons is cool, but having to buy armor and shiz is annoying.

Then you can head out. The dungeon is a forest thing and some dude stops you eventually and gives you part of h is map. The map making is cool, but i feel like its overwhelming. take a step, draw on the map, take a step, draw the map. Its nice to see when you are about to be ambushed by monsters, and the "strongest" one is visible on the overhead map. And of course, its an afro monkey. If you should happen run into one, get ready for pain.

*I was almost enjoying it. After about 2 hours setting up my team, working to get the map right, feeling claustrophobic and overwhelmed with so so many options and mechanics that i didn't feel were properly explained, the Afro monkey kicks my healers teeth in. it didnt take me long realize that not only did none of the "grass eater" pieces do any good healing me, no one or no items could revive any of my characters. After failing to run from the battle a few times, my squad was lambasted after only managing to scratch the slightly racist depiction of an enemy. My progress was wiped and i found myself staring at the main screen again, The only option lit up was to head to the recruitment center :(

Maybe ill try again tonight but man that was lame.

EZ-Megaman and Phoenix Goddess like this.
  16. Terenigma

Terenigma Terenigma everywhere

Nov 10, 2008
    Earth
    I Think what you mean is
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

17. ferofax
    OP

ferofax End of the World

Jan 26, 2009
    Philippines
    I'm getting this distinct impression that you've never put more than a few hours into ANY of the previous EO titles? Because usually, what people do before setting off into the first dungeon is to save the game at the inn. That, and the fact that you kept challenging the visible afro monkey right off the bat. Visible enemies are supposed to be avoided like the plague, until you get stronger with better gear. This one is better in that it actually lets you see your party's standing against the FOE (they're called that in-game). In the previous games, you had to fight (and get wiped, usually) in order to see first-hand how strong they are and how you stand compared to them, defense-wise and damage-wise.

18. weavile001

weavile001 Spiritmaster

Jun 10, 2012
    Brazil
    somewhere
    I never did that.....
    I never remember to save.....

19. Diego Liberal

Diego Liberal Old School Gamer

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2012
    Brazil
    São Paulo
    Rule number 1 in Etrian Oddyssey: Save before leaving the town.
    Rule number 2 in Etrian Oddyssey: Don't engage any F.O.E. unless story makes you so.

That's what i have to recommend for you, i'm almost in the end of the extra part of EO3, and i'm quite advanced playing EO2 and EO1 *-*b

20. digipokemaster

digipokemaster Innocent Uke

Aug 20, 2009
    United States
    USA
    Um has any beaten the kangaroo monster on the ship travel yet ? I would like to beat it . If anyone has how did you beat it?