OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Emulation of N64 on NDS = impossible
Porting of some N64 games to NDS = easy
Porting of other N64 games to NDS = very difficult

above is a quote from the stickied post on N64 emulation,
it says that some games would be easy to port to ds and others wouldn't.

1. what is a good example of one that will port ( not mario 64)
and 2. which catagory does smash bros. fall into

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
1. Games that doesn't use much graphical resources.. Mario Kart would probably be easy..
2. Only someone that worked in the game, or that has access to the source code can tell you this.. try [email protected]
tongue.gif

matthewd997

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
hold on, so you want me to em@il the creatoe of smash bros.!
anyway, is there an easy way to open a rom and see some of the code, that way we may be able to see some of the coding.

i'm not that good with code a but would still learn if i knew this would be possible

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you're a bit confused. Some N64 games might be relatively easy to port by Nintendo. Not us. There's no way in heck any homebrew coders could port any N64 game at all, as we have no sourcecode of any kind.

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
hold on, so you want me to em@il the creatoe of smash bros.!
anyway, is there an easy way to open a rom and see some of the code, that way we may be able to see some of the coding.

i'm not that good with code a but would still learn if i knew this would be possible

That is impossible. The closest you'll find to that is random segments of code found in encrypted files (which need to be decrypted first) - something which was actually found in Ocarina of Time. Very, very little though. Your only chance is trying to find a decrypter for each game (this is a very hard thing to find, unless its a big game like Goldeneye, SM64, Ocarina, BK, etc), going through the files in hex and understanding how the file format works. Once you've got a good enough understanding you'll have to see if you can recode the game with your new found knowledge for the DS.

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
64 emulation on the DS is not impossible. Nobody has ever even tried. Sure, it would run very slowly, but it is possible to do. Just like all those SNES chips that haven't been emulated yet that people say are "impossible" to emulate, if they actually took the time to give it a try, they'd see that it actually is possible.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
64 emulation on the DS is not impossible. Nobody has ever even tried. Sure, it would run very slowly, but it is possible to do. Just like all those SNES chips that haven't been emulated yet that people say are "impossible" to emulate, if they actually took the time to give it a try, they'd see that it actually is possible.
oh yeah at one frame per week

fateastray

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
64 emulation on the DS is not impossible. Nobody has ever even tried. Sure, it would run very slowly, but it is possible to do. Just like all those SNES chips that haven't been emulated yet that people say are "impossible" to emulate, if they actually took the time to give it a try, they'd see that it actually is possible.

oh yeah at one frame per week

Haha...Then loading a game would almost take as long as on the psp xD

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Launch SNEmulDS
2. Launch the SNES F-Zero game.
3. Enjoy.

No WFC, but it'll get you your F-Zero fix. You could also play the GBA F-Zero games.

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The N64's processor was 93.75 MHz The main processor on the DS is 67 MHz.

Typically, you need something about seven times as fast as the system you're emulating to get decent speeds.

And that's just the start. One of the main features on the N64 was its dedicated GPU. While the one on the NDS is theoretically comparable, it has one big difference: The 'pipe' used to send data to and from it is much, much more limited. (This is why you keep seeing that special video player's spash screen before games -- you need to code your video player specially for the NDS to take this limitation into account.) Its texture memory is also far more limited; you couldn't simply use N64 textures directly.

Essentially, if you want a game to be playable, you would have to completely remake it from scratch (as with Mario 64.)

matthewd997

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
but what if, we found a way to port .exe files and ported a N64 pc emulator - the emulator can run the game on the pc, so by my theory, it should be able to run at a few fps slower than the game on pc on the ds.

its not impossible - people have just looked at the facts and passed it of as impossible when nobody has ever tried

madmk

Trophies
XP
Country
but what if, we found a way to port .exe files and ported a N64 pc emulator - the emulator can run the game on the pc, so by my theory, it should be able to run at a few fps slower than the game on pc on the ds.

its not impossible - people have just looked at the facts and passed it of as impossible when nobody has ever tried

Hehe

matthewd997

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1