Hardware Oldies Others [N64] PicoCart64 - A N64 Flashcart built from a PicoPi

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like there soon will be an open Flashcart for the N64 using the PicoPi :)

It's still very early days and has wires all over the place but it can already load Homebrew, a project to keep an eye on if you have a N64 and a PicoPi spare for sure ;)
https://github.com/kbeckmann/PicoCart64
If you have any questions or just want to keep up to date, there is a Discord Server: https://discord.gg/vn39zmW3Q9

Last edited by ploggy,

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get the feeling this will be severely underpowered and nearly barebones, compared to actual FPGA carts (64Drive, Everdrive64, SummerCart64).

Reactions: ploggy

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I get the feeling this will be severely underpowered and nearly barebones, compared to actual FPGA carts (64Drive, Everdrive64, SummerCart64).
You maybe right, it could be underpowered compared to the premium products offered but this is (from what I can tell) an open alternative. a PicoPi is what 4$ plus change?
Who knows what the future brings :)

Reactions: KiiWii

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You maybe right, it could be underpowered compared to the premium products offered but this is (from what I can tell) an open alternative. a PicoPi is what 4$ plus change?
Who knows what the future brings :)

If the PicoCart64 becomes an actual marketable product, it won't cost just " $4 " to manufacture, let alone sell. Yes, someone can chop their existing N64 cart apart and solder a bunch of wires to it and have the Raspberry Pico flailing all about, but not many people are savvy enough, nor are most willing to do that.

And no, PicoCart64 is not the first opensource alternative, nor is it technically "opensource" since nothing has been uploaded to the repository yet.

Don't get me wrong, it is an interesting alternative, however I see many things going wrong later in its lifespan.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the PicoCart64 becomes an actual marketable product, it won't cost just " $4 " to manufacture, let alone sell. Yes, someone can chop their existing N64 cart apart and solder a bunch of wires to it and have the Raspberry Pico flailing all about, but not many people are savvy enough, nor are most willing to do that.

And no, PicoCart64 is not the first opensource alternative, nor is it technically "opensource" since nothing has been uploaded to the repository yet.

Don't get me wrong, it is an interesting alternative, however I see many things going wrong later in its lifespan.
while nothing has been uploaded yet the repo still exist, this is all very fresh and honestly there is nothing wrong with speculation that's part of the fun of it.
for all we know a custom pcb file that is open source could come about to just solder the pico and any other necessary components to it these already exist for some repro carts people make. we don't know yet what it holds for the future... thing about open source stuff is if enough people can get behind it this could take off and be a nice alternative for everything else.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Pico is doing big things in the retro scene. The GameCube is getting an open source modchip too. Nice!
I saw that to, that's something I think I'll take on first, I have a couple GC's but the laser is starting to weaken, so a cheap Pico boot modchip fits the bill nicely :)
As for the this Pico N64 flashcart, I think it will be a while yet before we see games booting on it (I think the guy only got a HB app running Yesterday?) :P
But I'm definitely going to get the PicoCart64 hooked up to my N64 once its ready, Everdrive's just too much money for me.

Reactions: KiiWii

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Don't get me wrong, it is an interesting alternative, however I see many things going wrong later in its lifespan
They seem to think the price to build will be super cheap :P
I don't know about any other opensource alternative but if there are great! the more options the better :D

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Saw the similar thing for the Amiga a while back (it basically "emulated" the CPU and could do all manner of fun things as a result).
Am liking that chips programmable by mere mortals (FPGA and CPLD stuff I can do but it is not fun) even if somewhat overkill in some ways are being able to be twisted to purposes like this.

Reactions: ploggy and KiiWii

dev4hire

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks cool but I don't see the point of it when the Everdrive 64 and 64Drive already exist.

The everdrive uses an FPGA, which are ~$60-400 per chip depending on the chip. The more expensive ones (>$100) are compatible with industry standard development tools and can match the clock speeds* required for acting as a flashcart. The pi pico uses a new microcontroller chip (RP2040) that you can get for as low as $1 (chip only, not the pico) and is clearly capable of meeting some of the requirements.

Between 40-60% of the price you pay for a flashcart is the cost of the FPGA. Imagine if it was $5 (non-wholesale) for a chip, plus an additional ~$30 for all the other components to complete features like storage, saves, RTC, and the printing of the board, plus labor if any (thanks to pcb manufacturers now carrying the RP2040 and have equiptment to provide the service for cheap).

I would be surprised if we didn't see <$100 N64 flashcarts using open source software as the project matures. Not only that, but a <$50 DIY. These figures are entirely fictitious until we see them for real, but the price difference in materials are significantly lower.

* FPGAs don't have the same kind of clock cycle as general purpose CPUs. FPGAs can perform multiple operations at the same time, which is a key feature of accurate retro hardware emulation. However, with a fast enough general purpose CPU and sufficient I/Os, we don't need it. These types of CPUs have existed for a while, but rarely if ever sold as a standalone high-speed (>225MHz OC), low-cost ($1-4), no wholesale necessary chip like the RP2040.

Last edited by dev4hire,
Reactions: DanTheManMS

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol newegg+