NULL

N64.. Is there a way to play roms on one?

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by CorruptJon, Jul 22, 2006.

1. xalphax

xalphax Internet killed the Ponystar.

Nov 18, 2006
    Croatia
    here'n'there
    i want a dr. v64 jr 512mb or mr. backup z64 v2 ^^

but i cant find one anywhere, and i think nobody here who got one will part with it.... oh well.... i think i will eventually find one on a fleamarket some fine day.

ebay kicks them out everytime, so nobody tries anymore to sell them there.

and if they somehow manage to survive they sell for CRAZY money.

2. TrolleyDave

TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

Former Staff
    Jan 1, 2007
    Wales, UK
    Rob Webb very occasionally has CD64 and V64 units up for sale. They're almost impossible to get hold of these days though, you're looking at a hefty amount of cash if you find one. I'd recommend the Z64 over them all. It looks the worst but it's the easiest to use and you can mod it to accept a hard drive and dump carts straight to it. N64 units can be pretty fiddly though, the N64 carts use protected boot ICs (or something along those lines) so you always have to have a cart with the same boot IC as the rom plugged in. Can be quite fiddly finding one that works for a particular rom sometimes. Unless of course they changed it and I haven't seen it anywhere, which is quite possible.

3. CorruptJon
    OP

CorruptJon :)

May 14, 2006
    United States
    California
    Oh jeez. Made this topic LONG time ago lol. I just decided to buy all of the N64 titles I wanted. Was alot cheaper than buying one of those machines.

4. Sir-Fritz

Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

May 4, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I once saw a doctor 64 on ebay, the current bid was like 6 times the price of the n64 (although it came with every n64 game on like 25 cd's). Its probably worth just buying games.

5. ejp

ejp Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 4, 2006
    I've got a v64 in good working order with ds1 and dx256 how much is it worth? I haven't got the original packaging and tbh I wasn't really thinking of selling it until somebody said it might be worth a fortune!

6. TrolleyDave

Former Staff
    Jan 1, 2007
    Wales, UK
    The DS1 is the save cart isn't it? What's the DX256?

7. ejp

ejp Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 4, 2006
    They're both save carts. DX256 has 256 eeprom slots, DS1 has 6 Sram slots.

Some games use eeprom, some use Sram.

8. TrolleyDave

Former Staff
    Jan 1, 2007
    Wales, UK
    Ah right, cheers for the info. If you write to Rob Webb he'll probably be able to give you a rough guide of what to expect if you sold it.

9. jalaneme

jalaneme Female Gamer

Nov 27, 2006
    London
    well if you find donkey kong, paper mario and other rare titles for 10$ let me know..... (lol)

oh...and you forgot that the xbox upscales n64 games to 720p aswell [​IMG] enough n64 roms fit on the default hard drive (well the very good ones that i know i will play a lot anyway, i have the rest on real n64 carts) i've never payed a arm and a leg for my soft mod xbox there is no way i would buy a v64 those things you would need serious cash spending to get one of those, with a old xbox you can just soft mod it with a hack and you are away.

10. ejp

ejp Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 4, 2006
    Cheers Dave - I will [​IMG]

11. wilddenim

wilddenim Candy!

Sep 4, 2007
    UK
    I play N64 roms on my PC, I've got a Rayman controller [​IMG] and it works with N64 roms perfectly. I play Zelda ToO and Paper Mario. [​IMG]

You should try it.

NULL