OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well I was playing Zelda on my n64 and I wondered is it possible to play n64 games on ds

Or was Mario 64 ds a major port?
yaynds.gif

skullstatue

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it's not possible. Nor will it ever be, the DS isn't eight times as powerful as the N64, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope.

tenchan4

Trophies
XP
Country
actually, there are a lot of 64 games i wish Nintendo would port to the DS. Only they'd probably want to include the touchscreen in some sort of fashion. There's a lot of gold on the 64. If Nintendo would let these games be ported as is, they'd have a lot of happy fanboys.

Some games I wish they'd port are:
Mario Tennis
Mario Golf
Paper Mario
Both Zeldas
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Perfect Dark

dbgtdob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
N64 is 93mhzs while a ds is only 67mhz, its just not powerful enough not to mention on zelda majoras mask, you had to install that ram pack into your N64 to play it for those old enough to remember.

AMPonzi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well one thing is that the Nintendo DS has two CPUs one at 67MHz and the other at 33MHz with 4MB of memory and seperate video memory. The Nintendo 64 has a 93.75MHz processor with a "Reality Co-Processor" at 62.5MHz and 4MB of RAM expandable to 8MB.

Most N64 games could virtually be ported to Nintendo DS. One thing is that the N64 supported resolutions of up to 640x480, Nintendo DS supports one resolution, 256x384 (counting both screens). Besides that, one of those screens is usually just a map or something without 3D graphics. So knock that down to 256x192. Nintendo DS cartridges, I assume, have a faster transfer speed than Nintendo 64 cartridges and the memory is probably faster. Not only that, ARM is a very efficient architecture which means that more tasks can be completed in less instructions and memory is more efficient.

Emulating N64 games on DS is 100% impossible, but most games could be relatively easily ported to DS. Other games would need a virtually perfect port with every optimization in the book to work, games like Majora's Mask may be able to handle it if the memory is more efficiently used. That separate video memory on the DS would certainly help wonders.

Here's how this discussion ends...

Emulation of N64 on NDS = impossible
Porting of some N64 games to NDS = easy
Porting of other N64 games to NDS = very difficult

Enjoy, thanks for listening!

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
meh. Mario 64 was still a fair choice. it's an epic game, perhaps more easily ported too.

however it would be nice to have oot or majora's mask too.

I'm sure they be very popular sales.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish they ported Zelda instead of Mario 64...whatever, they gave us Phantom Hourglass....
I don't think any Zelda 64 titles would work as well on the DS which is why Phantom Hourglass is the way it is. I don't them doing anymore N64 ports either, it would piss a lot of people off if they were asked to pay for a full price N64 port of a ten year old game when its on VC for less. Maybe Dk64 as thats would be a large download but that would need a lot of downgrading I guess.

P

pasc

I wished some ultra haxzor guys could invent an converter that converts the N64 Games into games runnable by the DS.

I think emulating the N64 is the wish we all have for our beloved DS, but which will never happen
frown.gif

BTW: WTF ? eight times more powerfull ? PSP runs those games Fullspeed with ONLY 222 Mhz... the DS has 99 if you count both Arm Processors...

Cocodrilo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
A emulator may is impossible... But port some games would be good! Badly damn nintendo sold Rare to Microsoft, but i would love to see new or old Banjo and Kazooie to the DS...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i think im a bad person