N64 flash cartridge

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by amptor, Oct 29, 2007.

Oct 29, 2007

N64 flash cartridge by amptor at 10:11 PM (1,365 Views / 1 Likes) 5 replies

1. amptor
    OP

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    Hmm I was just trolling the web looking to see if anyone has plans on coming out with one. Looks like there is one new guy who is working on one independantly based off some schematics he found. But also Neoflash team still lists it as their 10th project, and apparantly "R6" is the project #11 which if you go to their site they even have photos of the R6 case and menus on the DS screen. So it looks like they are skipping over the 10th project once again. I wonder if it'll ever see the light of day. Most N64 copiers are prone to failure and in time nobody's copiers are going to work any more.

Anyway I wonder if anyone here knows the status of any upcoming projects. Probably not though, I've probably poked around as much as anyone else has. I'm also guessing that the neoflash team's project may just be on hold because they're having issues implementing the protection chips, as they probably are trying to defeat the protection rather than requiring the end user to have 4 or 5 cartridges laying around to do it themselves, which these days isn't a lot. The used cartridges are very cheap now.

1 person likes this.
  2. MC DUI

Member MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    I don't have anything helpful to add to the topic but just wanted to say that I would love a N64 flash cart as well.

I own most of the good N64 games but it would be tops to have them all on a flash cart.

3. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    Some of neoflash's projects.... they just never see the light of day.

or otherwise they take a long time 0_0

4. amptor
    OP

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    Yeah I still remember they posted what the cartridge will look like, but it is just a 3d drawing, not plastic or any sign of a real fabrication. I was really hoping and I believed that they would come out with it. So for now I stick with my V64 and hope that emulation can be 99% some day so we won't have to rely on these shoddy bung products and such.

5. cenotaph

Member cenotaph GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Tototek were in the process of developing one, but it was scrapped as the final production costs vs. consumer interest ratio ended up being too low. If you browse their website, you can find mentions of a SuperFlash64 (or something similar) and some software IIRC.

The only N64 backups I know of that exist are ones that were used back in the day, and they are rare/crazy expensive when they turn up (I recently saw a CD64 unit go for £100). Most suffered from shoddy manufacturing and as a result few are still working. The ultimate setup would be a Z64 unit + 2.5" laptop HDD + hacked firmware that supports drives larger than 2G. A set of all US N64 roms weighs in at a few gigs, so it shouldn't be too hard to fit all roms on just about any old 2.5" HDD.

6. Relys

Member Relys Master of Computer Science

United States
    I'd sooo buy this! I've always wanted one!...