N64 emulation program for WII

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by vncool, Sep 4, 2007.

Sep 4, 2007

N64 emulation program for WII by vncool at 10:27 PM (1,480 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. vncool
    OP

Newcomer vncool Member

Canada
    please advise what to program to use to run N64 Rom for WII console.
    Thanks

2. flai

Member flai Androgynous Apparently :)

United Kingdom
    Virtual Console at the moment is the only way, no such thing as Wii homebrew really yet.

3. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    I think it is possible in the future - heck they did with the PSP...

4. flai

Member flai Androgynous Apparently :)

United Kingdom
    Its definately possible, without a doubt they can get it perfect, Xbox has it.

5. jaxxster

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    I remember emu_kidd asked for a few developers to help create a n64 emu for the gc/wii and that he thought'd it'd be possible. That was a while ago tho and i havent heard anything since.

6. Sc4rFac3d

Member Sc4rFac3d GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Netherlands
    Isn't it alot easier to develop for on the Xbox? I doubt the Wii will have the same compatibility, sure as hell hope so though...

7. ziddey

Member ziddey GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I thought this was already possible in gamecube mode? I got a n64 romset. Then again, I just tried the mariokart64 on it and it leads me to a green screen. Not sure if it's bad burn, bad romset, or wii's gamecube incompatibility?

8. squeakypants

Newcomer squeakypants Member

United States
    Xbox is a LOT easier to code on because it's basically Windows. The GC/Wii make you have to boot into your own code, which is much harder to do efficiently without being an official developer. That said, with the power of the Wii (though it's small) there should be no problem emulating the n64 flawlessly. Most people say you need 7x the processing power to emulate. That's just a saying, it's not necessarily accurate, but it's a good way to see what's possible: The N64 clocks at 93.75MHz, the Wii at 729MHz, so it's definitely powerful enough.

However, hackers haven't yet figured out how to create Wii homebrew (that is, homebrew that will boot in Wii mode instead of GC mode). That said, until they figure it out there won't be an N64 emu.

9. shadow_cruiser

Newcomer shadow_cruiser Advanced Member

Canada
    An N64 emu is coming, so there will be one and its quite in good process. It has booted a number of games but although running at 4-5 fps. It will be running in GC mode and although not true Wii homebrew, it will be more than sufficient nontheless. Afterall, whats being developed is called Wii64:)

This will be one great emu as some of the best coders are working on it, emu_kidid(creator of gcos) and tehpola(great dev from tehskeen)

10. sasuke_kun12

Member sasuke_kun12 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I miss tehskeen :-( anywaiz have they gotten so far as to release a date?

11. shadow_cruiser

Newcomer shadow_cruiser Advanced Member

Canada
    I miss tehskeen too:(.

Both of the coders are university students.

Tehpola said he won't be able to work on the emulator until he gets some break time, so maybe christmas or even next summer?.

Emu_kidid said he will not be working on GCOS and will put more time into Wii64. He also busy with school and thats a first priority.

Emu_kidid stated it will be a long time before a beta release comes out as lots needs to be done. I'm estimating mid-summer of next year till we see some playability.