RELEASE N64 dynarec is out as beta release

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by Keylogger, Jan 7, 2019.

1. TimeDevouncer

TimeDevouncer Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2018
    Spain
    Sin and Punishmenr runs well to me too.

But, EVERY game has little slowdowns, even with m4xw config file. For example, in SM64, at the beggining the game souns like this: It's a me, Mario-slowdown-oo.

2. zenjiki

zenjiki Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2006
    United States
    Just go to 1st page of the thread, download the zip file. Use the recommended settings included in zip file. Still on page 1 of this post, scroll down to m4xw’s (main developer) post and follow what he says.

Also if you keep reading this and the retro arch post, many including m4xw say that some games aren’t supported by dynarec yet. So if Sin and Punishment doesn’t work on dynarec, go back to using interpreter.

3. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Was Ogre Battle 64 fixed yet?

4. zenjiki

zenjiki Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2006
    United States
    Slowdowns or stutter? Cause according to the developers, for the time being there’s going to be stutters... mainly happens after loading a new screen, the dynarec is recompiling new codes. That’s why the stutter can also happen when you’re playing Mario and jump, run, somersault, or perform a new move for the 1st time. The dynarec has to recompile codes for those instances, causing a slight stutter. Otherwise, it starts running full speed! So just run around outside the castle performing all moves, and by the time you’re in the castle the game is full speed.

Also full speed means the original FPS of the game, F-Zero as far as I know is the only few games that ran at 60fps. Most N64 games from what I read are had 20-30 FPS originally. So those games will never run at 60fps, unless they had a 60fps hack.

TimeDevouncer likes this.
  5. regnad

regnad Button Masher

May 19, 2008
    Is this something that will likely be cleared up in the future, or is it just a part of emulating N64 on the Switch?

6. xenocard

xenocard Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2009
    United Arab Emirates

you have to play for like a minute then Mario Starts to run Smooth between 59 to 60 FPS, i uploaded a video

like m4xw said and many others the core is decompressing the code to cache or something like that, sorry i am not an expert on why its happening

it gets stable after a minute or so.

you can get better results if you lower the resolution, mine is set to 1280x720

my settings for F-Zero X are:
    https://imgur.com/UWUdaGz
    ^ this is your Core Options that you can access after you run a Game, if you lower the screen resolution you can get better results in most games.
    make sure you have your Core set to: Dynamic Recompiler
    or use m4xw .CFG File, its already setup
    https://imgur.com/a/OIiui6y
    F-Zero doesn't go full screen for me, unless i used a game shark code or changed the Video Resolution in Retroarch Settings to Custom

save your settings for the game
    Overclock your Switch to 1581Mhz or 1200MHz for best performance and almost no sound stuttering in most games
    restart Retroarch and have fun

if you still not achieving full 60 frames on f-zero, you might want to update your retroarch
    - Grab the latest Nightly from here: (it has the latest Dynarec Beta)
    https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/nintendo/switch/libnx/

>extract and replace the contents in your retroarch with the new files
    Run retroarch From your installed NSP or use the redirect method to run it over another installed NSP
    >Load the Dynarec Mupen64Plus
    Core
    >Load any Game like Mario 64
    >Go to Options
    >make sure your CPU Core is set to Dynamic Recomiler i am sure many have it set to the interpreter
    like my screenshot here https://imgur.com/UWUdaGz
    >Make sure your Game resolution isn't above 1280x720, you can change later and see what works for you best.
    >Save Game Options File
    (saves the settings you just changed which you will not see until you restart retroarch)
    >Overclock your Switch to 1581MHz
    >Restart RetroArch
    >Try your Game again

*set your Depth Buffer to RDRAM to: Memory (not like my screenshot which is set to: software

the latest Nightlies could be able to play the games on Stock Clock so no need to overclock, but i still keep mine on 1581Mhz because that's the only way i can have a smooth Castlevania SOTN play On PSX core, maybe overclocking isn't needed anymore for N64, OP has to confirm or release a compatibility list, i done my part!

also i need someone to Confirm if using Retroarch in Ozone mode benefit speed more, or is it the same as the XMB menu, because i think this menu is taking resources , i need to see game box covers...

ill remove videos in a few days*

Last edited by xenocard, Jan 13, 2019
  7. zenjiki

zenjiki Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2006
    United States

Not sure about that, you would have to ask the developers.

8. regnad

regnad Button Masher

May 19, 2008
    Maybe it could have something like the shareable/saved cache system that CEMU used in order to avoid having to cache anew every single time a game is played.

hippy dave likes this.
  9. xenocard

xenocard Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2009
    United Arab Emirates
    do you mind to share a video of you running retroarch, and showing us your Options inside the core with F-zero running, i do not believe that you can get 60 frames and 1080p with stock clock speed

do it the same way i did here

and the settings included on OP zip files has your clock speed set to maximum overclock

Last edited by xenocard, Jan 13, 2019
  10. enderer

enderer Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2015
    United States
    does this core/retroarch support single joy cons?

11. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    played snes with split joycons yesterday, works fine

12. loon111

loon111 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2007
    Where can i get the latest nightly mate?

Thanks

13. TimeDevouncer

TimeDevouncer Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2018
    Spain
  14. loon111

loon111 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2007
  15. arianadark

arianadark GBAtemp Fan

Nov 20, 2016
    United States
    yes check under input settings

16. xenocard

xenocard Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2009
    United Arab Emirates
    Yes, i play Cave shoot em ups on final burn with one joycon and put screen on Vertical

17. Ty_

Ty_ GBAtemp Fan

May 22, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Pokemon Snap runs really well...

... Except to when you get to the results screen, all of the photos show up as black squares.

18. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    using the nightly seems to have fixed most of my issues.

anyone know what settings i need to change to make the menue in zelda usable? currently, it seems like both dpad and stick just move right past any items and options and switch between the different screens

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

that seems to be an older issue with emulating this in general

found something about "Copy framebuffer to RDRAM" being the key to fixing it.

19. Clapmaster

Clapmaster GBAtemp Regular

Dec 3, 2009
    United States
    No luck with WCW/NWO Revenge or WWF No Mercy. Both crash retroarch with an error message. Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie seem to be very playable now though.

20. arianadark

arianadark GBAtemp Fan

Nov 20, 2016
    United States
    No mercy plays with the interpreter gets glitchy when you go outside the ring