Hacking N3DSXL: Limit on installed games/injected CIAs/applications?

Thee_Stranger

Unknown Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, all.

I currently have 151,613 blocks of space free on my 32gig SD card for my hacked N3DSXL.
I currently have 320 "applications" installed, total.
270 of the applications are on my Home Screen, and 50 of them are relegated to a single folder.

Whenever I try to download a new game -- or inject a new CIA -- the application ends up replacing or overwriting one of my previous applications. Swap Note is the first application it tends to overwrite, and so on and so forth. It doesn't delete the applications outright, as I can still find and access them via FBI. But I suppose it overwrites the Desktop Shortcut (of sorts) for the application. If I delete the newly installed applications or injected CIAs, the previous applications reappear on my home screen.

Is this normal? Is it just a limitation of the N3DS itself? I clearly have plenty of space on my SD for new stuff, and there's 28 more blocks of empty space for applications on my Home Screen. Is there any way to extend this apparent limit? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that is normal. you have a 300 title limit iirc. you can override it with the bank app, which I think creates several different 300 limit things for the home menu. I've never used it though. btw, that's a lot of games for a 32GB card, how did you fit them all?

Reactions: Thee_Stranger

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that is normal. you have a 300 title limit iirc. you can override it with the bank app, which I think creates several different 300 limit things for the home menu. I've never used it though. btw, that's a lot of games for a 32GB card, how did you fit them all?
Prolly lots (if not all) of VC titles.

Reactions: godreborn

Thee_Stranger

Unknown Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the input and knowledge, I really appreciate it.
And yes, what CoolMe said.
A mere 43 of my game titles are official 3DS game software (and most of those are smaller games that aren't very large in size; I mostly collect 3DS titles physically). 6 are DSi titles I imported from my DSiXL. 15 are standard pre-installed applications (E-Shop, Activity Log, etc.), and 11 are applications related to Hacking/Homebrew. The remaining 245 titles are all VC ROMs, 15 of which were actually downloaded from the E-Shop.

Last edited by Thee_Stranger,

Thee_Stranger

Unknown Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: CoolMe

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you might try retroarch for vc. I used to have it installed, and each core was a separate install from what I remember. the vita has it that way as well, but there's a standalone main core that contains most of the others for that system iirc, so that may be true of the 3ds (don't know). I never actually tested the cores out, so they may be shitty considering the power of the 3ds.

Reactions: Thee_Stranger

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for that. I may try it, or I may just delete some stuff. I'm definitely a n00b/layman with this stuff, and am not sure if I trust myself not to FUBAR my 3DS somehow by attempting this. But I do appreciate the info.
I personally have never used it, so i can't say if there's any risk to it, or not? As I have like ~40 games installed and it's plenty enough for me..

Thee_Stranger

Unknown Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you might try retroarch for vc. I used to have it installed, and each core was a separate install from what I remember. the vita has it that way as well, but there's a standalone main core that contains most of the others for that system iirc, so that may be true of the 3ds (don't know). I never actually tested the cores out, so they may be shitty considering the power of the 3ds.
Yeah, I have Retroarch installed. I've only tried to use it once for one Atari 5200 game ((The Dreadnaught Factor, which I've always been curious about ever since someone said that Shadow of the Colossus reminded them of it in that it's all boss fights, and then reading an IGN review talking about it being a creepy doom/nuclear holocaust allegory of the Cold War era)) since there's no forwarder tool for that console. But it didn't work. I'd just assume delete it, because it's a pretty slow and cumbersome way to play ROMs on 3DS, but I believe the 3DS Genesis VC ROMs use its picodrive core or something like that? And those all emulate damn near perfectly as far as I've seen, so maybe better not to mess with it.

My Vita is hacked as well. I should really get back on that at some point, as I think I've done all I can do with my 3DS at this point. All I ever downloaded was the broken version of AM2R, which was awesome before you encounter the game-breaking glitch.

Thee_Stranger

Unknown Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally have never used it, so i can't say if there's any risk to it, or not? As I have like ~40 games installed and it's plenty enough for me..
Yeah, I probably went a tad overboard with it. But the vast majority of those VC ROMs I downloaded have some sentimental value to me. I know there's a couple things on there I can live without, though.

Reactions: CoolMe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: hello everyone