Homebrew N3DSXL 11.0: Browserhax+Menuhax, now every reboot I get an error message and sometimes black screens

CrazyBlergh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hello,
I recently decided to give homebrew a try and it worked like a charm. I used browserhax and the starterkit which I then used to install menuhax. I pressed no when asked if I want to override the menu version or sth.It installed succesfully and after toying with Doom for a bit, I pressed Start and A to leave, I think (at this point the EXACT sequence of events is a bit fuzzy). This rebooted to the home menu where an error message welcomed me: "An error has occured. Please save your data in any data currently in use, and restard your system." I was worried and did so. After that, I think I had real trouble getting my DS to boot normally into the home menu. Instead it would show a black screen and I turned it off and on repeatedly, repeating the same process...
I could elaborate further on the inbetween stage but I don't want to bore anyone.

The current situation is that I can boot into Homebrew launcher just fine using menuhax, although returning to home menu from hbl freezes up my DS. Turning the system off and on again seems to work fine right now (albeit seemingly slower than before the hack), but I am -always- greeted by that stupid same old error message from above(Save your data, restart, bla.)

I know it says on Menuhax' GitHub page that errors can occur but is it really normal to experience error messages EVERY time and not being able to return to home menu from hbl? Now, I'm not so much pissed, although slightly annoyed, as I'm just plain worried that I fucked up somewhere or that harm could come to my DS.

On an unrelated note, is there a manual for DOOM3DS and a guide to install Portal3DS? GIthub only has the uncompiled version.?!

TheNintendoEnthusiast

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a Userland hack. What that means is that the exploit can not effect any part of the 3DS System that can do direct harm. When you run the exploit the 3DS won't work in the Home menu properly unless it's power cycled (shut off and then turned back on).
If you keep having the issues even when you don't boot directly from menuhax, remove menuhax, make sure you are on the latest version of menuhax, and then reinstall it.

You won't have issues if you boot directly to the home menu.

Last edited by TheNintendoEnthusiast,

CrazyBlergh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thank you very much!

I'll try Steelhax out later. Any compatibility issues? Let's assume Menuhax ends up working (spontaneously or after reinstalling, though I'm kinda through with it) - what are the benefits of [game]hax?

And ankther question: Does any hack actually modify/add/delete anything in the other folders of my SDCard? I forgot to mention I didn't do a backup before starting with this but from what I gathered it's not a big deal at all..?

Last edited by CrazyBlergh,

TheNintendoEnthusiast

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll try Steelhax out later. Any compatibility issues? Let's assume Menuhax ends up working (spontaneously or after reinstalling, though I'm kinda through with it) - what are the benefits of [game]hax?

And ankther question: Does any hack actually modify/add/delete anything in the other folders of my SDCard? I forgot to mention I didn't do a backup before starting with this but from what I gathered it's not a big deal at all..?
It does not modify anything unless the program saves something/ you delete something

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
This is a common issue with ROP and Menuhax in general. The return to home feature is mostly meant for those that use CFW and the HBL CIA, though it still causes the same error.

CrazyBlergh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thank you all.
Now for something else:
Am I safe to delete these from the starter kit:
CHMM2
ftpd
(what does the install do? is it needed?)
qtm
PLUS all the other smdh's and xml's for different exploits I won't use?

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you all.
Now for something else:
Am I safe to delete these from the starter kit:
CHMM2
ftpd
(what does the install do? is it needed?)
qtm
PLUS all the other smdh's and xml's for different exploits I won't use?
CHMM2 Allows for customs themes so you can delete it if you don't want it.
FTPD is an ftp app which lets you transfer filles between pc and 3ds wirelessly.
Don't know what QTM is but is safe to delete
Smdh's are icons so don't delete those.
You can delete xmls but i wouldn't recommend it.

CrazyBlergh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
CHMM2 Allows for customs themes so you can delete it if you don't want it.
FTPD is an ftp app which lets you transfer filles between pc and 3ds wirelessly.
Don't know what QTM is but is safe to delete
Smdh's are icons so don't delete those.
You can delete xmls but i wouldn't recommend it.
I would only delete the one's from apps that I don't plan on using anyways:
eshop.smdh, eshop.xml
ironhax.sdmh/xml
oothax...
stickerhax...

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would only delete the one's from apps that I don't plan on using anyways:
eshop.smdh, eshop.xml
ironhax.sdmh/xml
oothax...
stickerhax...
You can deleted ironhax/oothax/stickhax. Don't deleted eshop though! If a updates comes out you have to stay on a lower firmware and you won't be able to access it without that.

Temarile

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just download the starter kit again and copy paste the Eshop thingy. Or when a new firmware gets released, don't use the Eshop till you hacked it (presuming there is an exploit available!)

CrazyBlergh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Alright.

I've noticed that ironhax is still showing up in HBL even though I deleted all associated files. How can I remove that last trace as well?

Clector

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Thank you very much!

With a game Nintendo can"t block the exploit updating the system (but they can block the older version of the game so don"t update anyways), also you can install multiple Custom themes and in your version you can return to the Home Menu without freezing from the Homebrew Launcher or from an applet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16