n3DS XL top screen messed up

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Charganium, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Charganium
    OP

Charganium Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2015
    United States
    Yesterday my 3DS's top screen started displaying weird colors. At the right of the screen are some dark colors, and throughout the rest of the screen are horizontal lines that correspond to whatever it's displaying. For example, if it was displaying a yellow circle, there would be yellow lines going across the screen where the circle would be. However, when the screen is unfolded to the furthest position (which no one plays in), the screen is normal except for a vertical line on the very right of the screen. I have attached pictures of the screens in both of these positions.

Does anyone know what could be causing this, how to fix it, and whether it would be possible for someone with very little experience to fix? I don't want to send it to Nintendo because I use menuhax + emuNAND and they would probably update it. IMG_20160615_134050.jpg IMG_20160615_134122.jpg

2. vb_encryption_vb

vb_encryption_vb That hardmod guy....

Nov 21, 2015
    United States
    Acworth, GA
    Time for a new screen.

3. Charganium
    OP

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2015
    United States
    Alright update time. The screen has now gone completely dark and stays that way whatever position it's in.
    I have attached a picture of this. Please note that it's not a bad camera angle, that's actually how it looks. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Warning: Spoilers inside!

4. vb_encryption_vb

Nov 21, 2015
    United States
    Acworth, GA
    As i previously stated, you need a new screen.

5. Charganium
    OP

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2015
    United States
    Although I appreciate you replying, how/where to replace a screen, why this is a screen issue and not an issue with a cable or something, why this happened in the first place, etc would be more helpful than just saying I need a new screen.

6. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    This reminds me of my godlike Red, neon Nintendo DS Lite i bought that came with a case and new super mario bros and brain age from gamestop.

Some time years ago, i would play castlevania order of eclissa on it and depending on the angle of the top screen it would mess up, but oh well, that was years ago.

7. vb_encryption_vb

Nov 21, 2015
    United States
    Acworth, GA
    The ribbon has went too shit over time from opening and closing. Therefore, you need to replace the screen.

You cannot just replace the ribbon. The are 1 piece.

Charganium likes this.
  8. Charganium
    OP

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2015
    United States
    Thanks fam, that's the info I was looking for.

9. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    So the system life span (or the screens rather) is based on how much we pull out the system to play it by opening it? What the heck?:unsure:

10. Charganium
    OP

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2015
    United States
    Solution: never close it I guess

Does anyone know of anyone reputable that could replace the screen for me?

11. testerfan

testerfan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 28, 2013
    United States
    I can replace it for you if you'll provide the new screen (you can find me on ebay from www.fixxmaster.com), top screens for New 3DS XL are around $55 (different from regular 3DS XL screens and much more expensive) unless you want to order from china and wait couple of weeks to get it - then it's ~$45

12. vb_encryption_vb

Nov 21, 2015
    United States
    Acworth, GA
    Website is not mobile friendly.