n3DS XL screw on back case is stripped and won't come out for the life of me. Any tips?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by gabe_derp, Dec 31, 2016.

1. gabe_derp
    OP

gabe_derp Member

Newcomer
    Nov 20, 2016
    United States
    U.S.
    Hey. Just got a 128 gb Micro SD Card for my 3DS for Christmas, and was looking forward to dumping all my games onto it. But, at my dismay, the left screw on the back case won't turn. AT ALL. I'm using the right screwdriver (right screw loosens without any issue) & have tried the rubber band trick. But the little bastard won't budge.

Have any of you got advice? I obviously can't send my 3DS to Nintendo for repair because I have ARM9 installed on it. What am I to do? Any help is sincerely obliged.

2. Posghetti

Posghetti Greninja Master

GBAtemp Patron
    Posghetti is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 15, 2016
    United States
    Michigan
    That little ass screw won't turn? .-.
    What did you do to it that it won't turn? Lol

In all seriousness, it shouldn't be that hard to force it to turn, your only other option would be to just force it to come out really. (pulling, tugging, unscrewing, repeat)
    No need to send it to Nintendo to get it fixed, just a waste of time and money.

3. KanterZ

KanterZ YouTuber, Modder. I also do SOFTMOD Services

Oct 9, 2015
    Try to use a little bigger of the size. That's what I do when I really can't "use" the right size.

4. Daggot

Daggot GBAtemp Fan

Aug 3, 2015
    United States
    I wouldn't reccomend that you the screw after this but use the screwdriver and put some force into it and then unscrew. You're essentially giving yourself some extra grip on the inside of that smoothed hole on the screw head that used to be for a #00 philips.

5. tedmg091309131

tedmg091309131 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 17, 2016
    United States
    Last edited by tedmg091309131, Dec 31, 2016
  6. LinkSoraZelda

LinkSoraZelda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    Land of the Rising Orange
    The back case is already near useless with a stripped screw, so break the case off and twist the shaft of the screw to get it out.

7. OfficialFBomb

OfficialFBomb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 24, 2015
    United States
    Some brands double zeros are actually a tiny bit different in size, you can try another brand and see if there is any difference, make sure the ds is in a flat surface, your applying a lot of force and turning slowly. If the screw starts to strip or is still not moving, try the rubber band again with the new screw driver, if that fails try some gorilla glue super glue, a small dab on the screw head and instert the screw driver allow the glue to set before attempting to remove with slow turns but firm pressure.. If all else fails, you can always drill the screw head out, and find a replacement screw.. No need to break anything we are no loner cave men..

8. gabe_derp
    OP

gabe_derp Member

Newcomer
    Nov 20, 2016
    United States
    U.S.
    Thanks everyone. Was in the process of trying to break off the back case, when I actually discovered then I can reach the Micro SD Card slot if I bend it enough without breaking it. (Albeit at the cost of scratching the f out of my hand while doing so) So, I should be okay now. Thanks for everything!