N3DS XL only boots with power applied, not battery.

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Ricky21Key, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Ricky21Key
    OP

Ricky21Key Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 3, 2016
    United States
    Hi, guys... I've been reading posts on this site for some time now, but I finally registered and now I'm posting for myself this time. I'd like to thank everyone on this site for the endless knowledge that's shared. I'm an electronics guy by trade and I'm kind of stumped here because of my lack of 3DS experience (I fix avionics systems on planes, which I learned in the Marines and tinker with stuff all the time.). My buddy had a Zelda edition N3DS XL that was bricked. He gave it to me and purchased another N3DS XL. We ordered a new motherboard and power board for this broken console. I transferred the motherboard and power board from his replacement console into the Zelda edition one because I know he's a huge Zelda fan and I didn't like the idea of fixing it and he no longer having it. So, I got it working and gave it back to him. The motherboard and power board replacements came in and I installed them into the broken console I was left with after the organ transplant. lol After cleaning out the ribbon cables with alcohol and swabs, I got it to turn on after a few tries, but only with power applied. The joystick isn't working now, but that's no biggie to replace, nor should it affect boot up, I'd think. It booted up completely and I'm able to navigate without a problem after the first 10 seconds that it goes haywire due to the joystick not being recognized. The cartridge reader works as does everything else. It doesn't boot up on battery power, only with the AC adapter connected. I removed the battery and attempted to turn it on with only the power applied, but it didn't start up. I assume it's recognizing the battery because it didn't boot up without it using only the power adapter. I used another battery that's a known good without power applied and the second battery didn't boot it up either. It appears to be charging, but I don't know for sure as I haven't left it long enough to do so as I don't want to burn something out. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions as to what I can try out to get this console booted with only the battery?

Sorry for the long post. I just figured that I'd explain in full to paint a picture, so to speak. lol
    Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas that you may have.

2. James310

James310 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 4, 2015
    United States
    Somewhere in California
    Why do you need to replace the power board for a bricked 3ds? Just need to replace the motherboard...

3. Ricky21Key
    OP

Ricky21Key Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 3, 2016
    United States
    The motherboard was bricked and should've been the only swap, yes, but for some reason the power board went out as well. I swapped out the power board with the known good one to come to that conclusion before I ordered the replacement. No clue how or why that happened, but it did. Since my buddy isn't of the technical sort, he really didn't give me any explanation so I can try to come up with a reason as to what may have happened. lol

Last edited by Ricky21Key, Apr 4, 2016
  4. SkyChotik

SkyChotik Well-known Member

Mar 22, 2016
    United States
    Huh. That doesn't sound very good. I can't even think of a reason why that would/could happen other than the wiring for the battery compartment is fudged somewhere.
    Sounds like it sees the battery, but can't pull any juice from it.

5. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Sounds like your spare parts are from a demo unit...

6. Blue_Mew

Blue_Mew Shiny Mew!

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Faraway Island
    Yup, the replacement parts may be from a kiosk unit (which is in stores and only works when plugged in to a power source)