Hardware N3DS XL - No Power (Lights / Screen / Etc)

EliteNewbz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I attempted a hard mod the other day.

However, when I try to power on the N3DS XL - there's nothing. Battery is plugged in the right way. Tried plugging in the charger. Nothing. Checked for solder splatter, all of that. Took off the mod for now until I can get it working again. I cleaned the board with PCB solvent so there shouldn't be any solder left over.

Tested the fuses on the daughter board as well as near the charger port and they still work fine (there's resistance / continuity).

There's no led/noise/lights. One time last night when I put in the battery, I heard a quick beep while pressing the power button, but I couldn't replicate it... So I don't know what else is going on.

Triple checked all the ribbons and they all fit. However, the mic and the one to the right of it don't fit as snugly. All of those connector types (on the board) feel the same way. I lifted it up at about ~45 degrees but they don't shut tightly anymore.

Checked for micotears - but i don't see anything. There may be a tear on the screen ribbon cable, but it should still power on before it enters failsafe mode.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for all your help and inquiries.

Pooslice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Have the same problem you have mate. No idea whats wrong. :unsure:

Just remembered. First time I tried to boot up, the blue light lit up for 0.5 seconds, since then it's been dead.

Edit:
After some testing, I think I narrowed it down to be a problem with the hinge switch. The 3ds thinks the lid is closed so it wont boot. I have however not learned where this supposed hinge switch is located or how to fix it. I will continue googling until someone gives an answer here :)

Last edited by Pooslice,

EliteNewbz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have the same problem you have mate. No idea whats wrong. :unsure:

Just remembered. First time I tried to boot up, the blue light lit up for 0.5 seconds, since then it's been dead.

Edit:
After some testing, I think I narrowed it down to be a problem with the hinge switch. The 3ds thinks the lid is closed so it wont boot. I have however not learned where this supposed hinge switch is located or how to fix it. I will continue googling until someone gives an answer here :)

Have you double checked all your cables? A lot of people told me that could be a problem why there is no power. Going to troubleshoot it more tonight and will update you. How'd you narrow it down to the hinge switch? O_O

Fire_Slasher

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm kinda having same problem, just bought a N3DS XL Red, not used but new.

it's been a rollercoaster, when I first opened the box and turned it on it was all fine and dandy, not a single problem but then I opened the back cover to insert micro sd card and transfer stuff from my old 3ds to it, it started turning off if I shake it too much or tried closing the lid to sleep mode.

Remeber having charged it for a bit after that and that problem was gone but now it sometimes do not turn on at all when 3DS is open but curiously it turns on almost 100% of the time when I mash the power button for 3 or 4 times when it's closed.

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your not suppose to lift the connector where, home button, mic and 1 or 2 others are. That's not how that connector is designed. You carefully remove the ribbon. All your problems, may relate to them not getting the proper contact and may need to have the connector replaced. I don't know the part number or a suitable replacement, but a few days ago, I seen where someone had one replaced.

Unfourtantly the only video I've seen on YouTube for N3DS shows that connector being lifted. That is a big no no.

EliteNewbz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your not suppose to lift the connector where, home button, mic and 1 or 2 others are. That's not how that connector is designed. You carefully remove the ribbon. All your problems, may relate to them not getting the proper contact and may need to have the connector replaced. I don't know the part number or a suitable replacement, but a few days ago, I seen where someone had one replaced.

Unfourtantly the only video I've seen on YouTube for N3DS shows that connector being lifted. That is a big no no.

That's the exact one I used... So the connectors were lifted... Hopefully that's the problem, but some people were saying only the LCD needs to be plugged in to get power to the system. I know none of the fuses are blown because there's still continuity between both fuses.

Pooslice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

But would that not result in a blue light, rather than no lights at all? Do you know which connector would be attributed to this?

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the exact one I used... So the connectors were lifted... Hopefully that's the problem, but some people were saying only the LCD needs to be plugged in to get power to the system. I know none of the fuses are blown because there's still continuity between both fuses.

N3DS needs the daughter board as well I would like to think. No lights at all could be ribbon related or the IC below the power connector was shorted out. But even than you should have lights. When I install the hardmods, I usually just reassemble completely, because they are staying permanent and I know my soldering is good.

I've also read something about the LCD hinge if it's being detected as open or closed, I don't recall it won't power? I'm not sure exactly what was being talked about there honestly.

But would that not result in a blue light, rather than no lights at all? Do you know which connector would be attributed to this?

I don't have a 3ds sitting in front of me to see where the LED our, but if they are on the daughterboard and it's not connected, than no there wouldn't be any lights.

Pooslice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't have a 3ds sitting in front of me to see where the LED our, but if they are on the daughterboard and it's not connected, than no there wouldn't be any lights.
If I put in my charging cable the LED turns on, so they are connected.
I actually tried to power on the console with battery and power cable connected and I got a different result. Instead of nothing happening, the notification light blinked red briefly. So it seems something is shorted or fried on the MB? I will try to take some pictures tomorrow when I can. I can't spot anything wrong tho, but maybe someone here can.

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I put in my charging cable the LED turns on, so they are connected.
I actually tried to power on the console with battery and power cable connected and I got a different result. Instead of nothing happening, the notification light blinked red briefly. So it seems something is shorted or fried on the MB? I will try to take some pictures tomorrow when I can. I can't spot anything wrong tho, but maybe someone here can.
Ic chip is bad

leerz

Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
absolutely no lights?
put the battery in, plug the charger.
press power, if there's a faint red light on the first led.

you have bad daughterboard, needs replacement costs around 10-14$
aside from that, your charge IC is probably busted too, you need to have that replaced, need a rework station for that, ic swap since it's not an easy solder.

the 3ds electronics were created in a way that the FUSE don't work as they should, fuse was supposed to protect other MORE sensitive parts of the hardware from damage, but often it doesn't.

in my case, all the fuses were good and the ic's were fried, charge ic and the one also from the daughterboard. (unlike the dslite, the fuses did wonders for everyone!)

Last edited by leerz,
Reactions: vb_encryption_vb

Pooslice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
absolutely no lights?

aside from that, your charge IC is probably busted too, you need to have that replaced, need a rework station for that, ic swap since it's not an easy solder.

the 3ds electronics were created in a way that the FUSE don't work as they should, fuse was supposed to protect other MORE sensitive parts of the hardware from damage, but often it doesn't.

in my case, all the fuses were good and the ic's were fried, charge ic and the one also from the daughterboard. (unlike the dslite, the fuses did wonders for everyone!)

Yeah a faint red light blinks once.
Are there any ways to test this before buying the needed components?

edit:
forgot to mention with the charger plugged in I have orange LED on the whole time.

Last edited by Pooslice,

EliteNewbz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all,

I solved my problem - the battery wasn't receiving enough pressure, so it wasn't contacting with the board. All solved for now...

However now my buttons are messed up. Home doesn't work. R Trigger doesn't work. At the start, the system continues going to the right while it loads for a bit. I hold the D-Pad left and after a while it stops.

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all,

I solved my problem - the battery wasn't receiving enough pressure, so it wasn't contacting with the board. All solved for now...

However now my buttons are messed up. Home doesn't work. R Trigger doesn't work. At the start, the system continues going to the right while it loads for a bit. I hold the D-Pad left and after a while it stops.

Because you lifted the little black clips instead of just pulling the ribbon out, your not getting proper contact. You can try to tape them down, but I doubt it will work. Will need to replace them most likely. Right trigger might not be seated properly or it's stuck, that's why when you boot the system it makes the menu move to the right.

EliteNewbz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because you lifted the little black clips instead of just pulling the ribbon out, your not getting proper contact. You can try to tape them down, but I doubt it will work. Will need to replace them most likely. Right trigger might not be seated properly or it's stuck, that's why when you boot the system it makes the menu move to the right.

Thanks for the help VB! I'll try everything I can to fix this problem. Appreciate it.

Reactions: vb_encryption_vb

Pooslice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
absolutely no lights?

Okay, so I put my battery in my brothers n3ds xl and drained the battery. I then put it back in mine and tried to charge. Result: The battery charged to full. So there seems to be no problem with the battery or charging. Any other ideas?

edit: didn't have time to try the daughter board yet, but will tomorrow.

Last edited by Pooslice,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +1