Hacking N3DS XL Majora's mask edition.

Tellmee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamestop got some stocks of these today so I went out there first thing in the morning and got my hands on a N3DS XL Majora's Mask Edition... I was REALLY hoping for it to be 9.2> since I own a gateway but even though the serial number was in the QW1k, it came with 9.4 firmware... Would Gateway have a good chance of supporting 9.4 firmware in the future? or would my best bet be to purchase the sky3ds? and is the sky3ds more likely to be banned from online play even with the private header or is it same as gateway?

my other option is to just keep my 9.0.0 red n3ds xl running my gateway and sell the majora's mask edition but I am not a reseller and I am really hoping to be able to keep this rare system. Thanks for reading.

caffolote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamestop got some stocks of these today so I went out there first thing in the morning and got my hands on a N3DS XL Majora's Mask Edition... I was REALLY hoping for it to be 9.2> since I own a gateway but even though the serial number was in the QW1k, it came with 9.4 firmware... Would Gateway have a good chance of supporting 9.4 firmware in the future? or would my best bet be to purchase the sky3ds? and is the sky3ds more likely to be banned from online play even with the private header or is it same as gateway?

my other option is to just keep my 9.0.0 red n3ds xl running my gateway and sell the majora's mask edition but I am not a reseller and I am really hoping to be able to keep this rare system. Thanks for reading.

Just keep it for christ sakes

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Something like that sounds like a very hard job and I will not take as an option...

I'm thinking about it and hmm actually it's not, that's not a bad idea

I've never done a motherboard swap but I've taken apart DS/3DS systems before and assuming you keep all the buttons, screens, and whatnot in their respective 3DS systems and swap out JUST the motherboard it'd actually just take a few minutes to do

just unclip the screens from the motherboard and take off the cables connecting the speakers and wi-fi adapter and unscrew it, then it should come loose, and swap it with the other N3DS

but if you'd rather not fiddle with your systems I'd understand

Reactions: RadicalEnder

[^Blark^]

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's weird that your n3ds mm edition was at 9.4 I got mine back when they were being preordered and got lucky enough to get my hands on one. And mine came with Firmware 9.0 and I still haven't updated it. I put zagg screen covers on the top and bottom screen played my sky3ds on it one time and then boxed it back up. I have an older 3ds xl model at fw 9.4 so I just use this for sky3ds and retail games. Guess nintendo waste no time to put newer fw on them to support newer games right out of the box...

Suthek

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's weird that your n3ds mm edition was at 9.4 I got mine back when they were being preordered and got lucky enough to get my hands on one. And mine came with Firmware 9.0 and I still haven't updated it. I put zagg screen covers on the top and bottom screen played my sky3ds on it one time and then boxed it back up. I have an older 3ds xl model at fw 9.4 so I just use this for sky3ds and retail games. Guess nintendo waste no time to put newer fw on them to support newer games right out of the box...

Even on release day red 9.4's existed. It doesn't seem surprising to me that a second batch of systems made after that would also be 9.4

EBgames had 4 machines at every location or something like that. It was on their website or something. 100% sure it was a second production run.

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Case swapping!!! Love it.

Yeah, best way. Especially if you just want the MM case.

We've been getting lots of reports of ppl getting 9.4 FW on N3DS systems.

They're also trying to pull the o3DSXL systems with 9.2 off the shelves.

Won't be long till most system are 9.3+. Sky3DS will make a haul off this.

Nintendon't is angry @ GW.

All about the ROM dump, baby!

Ralph1611

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
these majoras mask systems are only online right? Whats gamestops return policy for buying a 3ds on line and returning at the store?

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For all you guys talking about a mobo swap - the Serial Numbers get switched in the process which if you think about selling one of the units, that becomes very unethical. If you're keeping both for yourself you could do that, but I wouldn't recommend it if you only want one.

I'd also say you could switch your faceplates if you were keeping both, but the red N3DS looks pretty ugly as one temper already did the switch and posted pics.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I sold a Red 3DS XL that had a shell swap with a Pokemon X 3ds to a friend of a friend without telling him that it has the red XL motherboard rather than the Pokemon X 3DS board (the original Pokemon X board is dead)
It has been several months since then and the console still works great for him.
Since it had no warranty, I did not feel the need to alert him of the swap. (I did not charge him extra for it being a Pokemon XL because of this)
As long as you mention that it has no warranty, you should be fine selling it. I would however use a heat gun to remove the serial number sticker and swap them to the number matches the board.

For all you guys talking about a mobo swap - the Serial Numbers get switched in the process which if you think about selling one of the units, that becomes very unethical. If you're keeping both for yourself you could do that, but I wouldn't recommend it if you only want one.

I'd also say you could switch your faceplates if you were keeping both, but the red N3DS looks pretty ugly as one temper already did the switch and posted pics.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I sold a Red 3DS XL that had a shell swap with a Pokemon X 3ds to a friend of a friend without telling him that it has the red XL motherboard rather than the Pokemon X 3DS board (the board is dead)
Since it had no warranty, I did not feel the need to alert him of the swap. (I did not charge him extra for it being a Pokemon XL because of this)
As long as you mention that it has no warranty, you should be fine selling it. I would however use a heat gun to remove the serial number sticker and swap them to the number matches the board.

That is some hoe shit....extra for a dead 3ds just because its a pokemon edition.....oh well thats your group of friends.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is some hoe shit....extra for a dead 3ds just because its a pokemon edition.....oh well thats your group of friends.

I changed the wording as it seems it can be misread from the way I wrote it. The "Pokemon X" 3DS I sold that guy works fine. It has the red XL inner shell with the Pokemon X top and bottom pieces and the red XL motherboard.

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
My bro just scored one at GameStop and it is also QW1039.... which should put it at firmware 9.0

If yours is at 9.4 mine might be too :(

I wonder if the creeps at Gamestop opened them all up and updated them? That will suck!

these majoras mask systems are only online right? Whats gamestops return policy for buying a 3ds on line and returning at the store?
I think these are available in store only, not online.

Bonovox40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My bro just scored one at GameStop and it is also QW1039.... which should put it at firmware 9.0

I wonder if the creeps at Gamestop opened them all up and updated them? That will suck!

Can u confirm? From the reports, all "new" batch of these MM3dsxls are 9.4 minimum. For sure the QW1040's are. The serial progression looks like the QW1039 / 1038 are likely 9.4. (MAYBE 9.2) but need more people to verify.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I think these are available in store only, not online.

Better to confirm than to spread false rumors. BTW QW1038 was flagged to have 9.4, its on the list.

Going by the thread dedicated to the serial #'s QW4010 and QW4009 were the only ones confirmed on the list in the US. If they started using QW10XX than you'll probably want to find one that is lower than QW1034

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.