N3DS XL Majora's mask edition.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Tellmee, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Tellmee
    OP

Tellmee Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2015
    United States
    Gamestop got some stocks of these today so I went out there first thing in the morning and got my hands on a N3DS XL Majora's Mask Edition... I was REALLY hoping for it to be 9.2> since I own a gateway but even though the serial number was in the QW1k, it came with 9.4 firmware... Would Gateway have a good chance of supporting 9.4 firmware in the future? or would my best bet be to purchase the sky3ds? and is the sky3ds more likely to be banned from online play even with the private header or is it same as gateway?

my other option is to just keep my 9.0.0 red n3ds xl running my gateway and sell the majora's mask edition but I am not a reseller and I am really hoping to be able to keep this rare system. Thanks for reading.

2. CrazySpaniard

CrazySpaniard Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2008
    Canada
    what if you switch the motherboard from your red n3ds and your mm one

RadicalEnder and thorasgar like this.
  3. Tellmee
    OP

Tellmee Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2015
    United States

Something like that sounds like a very hard job and I will not take as an option...

4. caffolote

caffolote GBAtemp Fan

Jul 26, 2008
    United States
    Just keep it for christ sakes

5. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    ^
    This. I really like my Majora's Mask XL and I use it as a official Nintendo only console so the risk of banning in the future is near zero.

6. Lucifer666

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension
    I'm thinking about it and hmm actually it's not, that's not a bad idea

I've never done a motherboard swap but I've taken apart DS/3DS systems before and assuming you keep all the buttons, screens, and whatnot in their respective 3DS systems and swap out JUST the motherboard it'd actually just take a few minutes to do

just unclip the screens from the motherboard and take off the cables connecting the speakers and wi-fi adapter and unscrew it, then it should come loose, and swap it with the other N3DS

but if you'd rather not fiddle with your systems I'd understand

RadicalEnder likes this.
  7. Suthek

Suthek GBAtemp Regular

Feb 13, 2015
    Canada
    EH, BC
    It's actually easier than you'd think.
    Only need 1 screw driver and about 30 minutes of your life.

8. [^Blark^]

[^Blark^] GBAtemp Fan

Dec 19, 2012
    United States
    That's weird that your n3ds mm edition was at 9.4 I got mine back when they were being preordered and got lucky enough to get my hands on one. And mine came with Firmware 9.0 and I still haven't updated it. I put zagg screen covers on the top and bottom screen played my sky3ds on it one time and then boxed it back up. I have an older 3ds xl model at fw 9.4 so I just use this for sky3ds and retail games. Guess nintendo waste no time to put newer fw on them to support newer games right out of the box...

9. Suthek

Suthek GBAtemp Regular

Feb 13, 2015
    Canada
    EH, BC
    Even on release day red 9.4's existed. It doesn't seem surprising to me that a second batch of systems made after that would also be 9.4

EBgames had 4 machines at every location or something like that. It was on their website or something. 100% sure it was a second production run.

10. Osmosis

Osmosis Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.

Dec 20, 2014
    United States
    Case swapping!!! Love it.

Yeah, best way. Especially if you just want the MM case.

We've been getting lots of reports of ppl getting 9.4 FW on N3DS systems.

They're also trying to pull the o3DSXL systems with 9.2 off the shelves.

Won't be long till most system are 9.3+. Sky3DS will make a haul off this.

Nintendon't is angry @ GW.

All about the ROM dump, baby!

11. Ralph1611

Ralph1611 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 20, 2014
    United States
    these majoras mask systems are only online right? Whats gamestops return policy for buying a 3ds on line and returning at the store?

12. mvmiranda

mvmiranda GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 29, 2013
    Brazil
    Brazil, Sao Paulo
    That's what I'm doing...
    I bought a cheaper one from Europe and when it arrives here I'll switch motherboard with my black one (already with my old stuff sys transferred)

13. alin72

alin72 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 19, 2015
    United States
    I think Gamestop's official words are no return on opened items.

14. Maximilious

Maximilious GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    For all you guys talking about a mobo swap - the Serial Numbers get switched in the process which if you think about selling one of the units, that becomes very unethical. If you're keeping both for yourself you could do that, but I wouldn't recommend it if you only want one.

I'd also say you could switch your faceplates if you were keeping both, but the red N3DS looks pretty ugly as one temper already did the switch and posted pics.

15. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    I sold a Red 3DS XL that had a shell swap with a Pokemon X 3ds to a friend of a friend without telling him that it has the red XL motherboard rather than the Pokemon X 3DS board (the original Pokemon X board is dead)
    It has been several months since then and the console still works great for him.
    Since it had no warranty, I did not feel the need to alert him of the swap. (I did not charge him extra for it being a Pokemon XL because of this)
    As long as you mention that it has no warranty, you should be fine selling it. I would however use a heat gun to remove the serial number sticker and swap them to the number matches the board.

16. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States

That is some hoe shit....extra for a dead 3ds just because its a pokemon edition.....oh well thats your group of friends.

17. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    I changed the wording as it seems it can be misread from the way I wrote it. The "Pokemon X" 3DS I sold that guy works fine. It has the red XL inner shell with the Pokemon X top and bottom pieces and the red XL motherboard.

18. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA
    My bro just scored one at GameStop and it is also QW1039.... which should put it at firmware 9.0

If yours is at 9.4 mine might be too :(

I wonder if the creeps at Gamestop opened them all up and updated them? That will suck!

I think these are available in store only, not online.

19. Bonovox40

Bonovox40 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 2, 2003
    United States
    Can u confirm? From the reports, all "new" batch of these MM3dsxls are 9.4 minimum. For sure the QW1040's are. The serial progression looks like the QW1039 / 1038 are likely 9.4. (MAYBE 9.2) but need more people to verify.

20. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States

Better to confirm than to spread false rumors. BTW QW1038 was flagged to have 9.4, its on the list.

Going by the thread dedicated to the serial #'s QW4010 and QW4009 were the only ones confirmed on the list in the US. If they started using QW10XX than you'll probably want to find one that is lower than QW1034