Hacking N3DS XL Firmware by version number

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If any member here (48 US states only) needs a 9.0 new3DS, let me know.They are available (though not many) in my area. I don't mind shipping them to GBAtemp members as a small "thank you" for all the work everyone here does. I don't even want an extra penny; just for shipping.

I do recommend you look locally (since shipping w/signature confirmation can be expensive) but if you are all out of options, PM me. Sorry but I have to keep the offer to members with a decent history so I don't get someone using a fake Paypal account or something. :P

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Walmart has 4 red consoles with serial qw1017. In theory these should fall under 9.0 right? When I get money I think I'm gonna test my luck. Now that we can boot gw on it.

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Walmart has 4 red consoles with serial qw1017. In theory these should fall under 9.0 right? When I get money I think I'm gonna test my luck. Now that we can boot gw on it.

Definitely should be good.

What I found interesting is I've been running around for days looking for new3DS XL consoles and so far only one store had ONE new3ds XL that began with a 4 (QW4014). This is interesting because it is the only QW4xxxxx I have found; all others have been QW1xxxx. I wonder why this is.

Though probably anecdotal I also found that the QW4xxxxx had the best screen quality, and was also the only one that had an oddly difficult-to-slide volume slider. Not sure if that was just a coincidence or what, but for black consoles I only found one QW4xxxx console to date. QW1s everywhere, though! Weird.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Though probably anecdotal I also found that the QW4xxxxx had the best screen quality, and was also the only one that had an oddly difficult-to-slide volume slider. Not sure if that was just a coincidence or what, but for black consoles I only found one QW4xxxx console to date. QW1s everywhere, though! Weird.
Can you elaborate on this "best screen quality" aspect of the QW4? Bottom or top screen? What are the main differences that you notice, compared to the QW1? If you have both units at home, would it be feasible to post a side-by-side comparison picture (highest quality that your camera allows). I'm just curious.

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you elaborate on this "best screen quality" aspect of the QW4? Bottom or top screen? What are the main differences that you notice, compared to the QW1? If you have both units at home, would it be feasible to post a side-by-side comparison picture (highest quality that your camera allows). I'm just curious.

It's an issue called Multiplexing (also referred to as the "scanline effect" that was commonly seen on the GBA, DSi, etc.

If you cannot see it, I recommend you not look for it. I see it on every single new3DS that's out there, but on my QW4xxxx it's a little bit less obvious.

Here is a video that might show you it:

Again if you enjoy your sanity, don't look for it. Especially since I have not come across a new3DS that didn't have it.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's an issue called Multiplexing (also referred to as the "scanline effect" that was commonly seen on the GBA, DSi, etc.

If you cannot see it, I recommend you not look for it. I see it on every single new3DS that's out there, but on my QW4xxxx it's a little bit less obvious.

Thank you! I must admit I didn't really see it on this small clip, but I'll take a look on my N3DS. Although truth be told, scanlines never bothered me much... I'm an old gamer :shy:

Reactions: cearp

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So what stores can you browse the boxes of the N3DS for their firmware numbers? Anyone know?
I had good luck at Walmart. The serial is printed on the left-hand side of the box, so depending how they stack up the boxes in the display case you might find it very easy to check the serials without even asking for a store clerk. That's how it was for me.

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you! I must admit I didn't really see it on this small clip, but I'll take a look on my N3DS. Although truth be told, scanlines never bothered me much... I'm an old gamer :shy:

I love scanlines too but only for retro games, but these aren't really scanlines away. They are more like "rolling lines" that only appear when you gently move the console.

So what stores can you browse the boxes of the N3DS for their firmware numbers? Anyone know?

Target.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had good luck at Walmart. The serial is printed on the left-hand side of the box, so depending how they stack up the boxes in the display case you might find it very easy to check the serials without even asking for a store clerk. That's how it was for me.

Walmart store clerks allow you to pick what you want, just ask. I did that, one hand holding my phone with the list of serial and the other hand picking up a n3dsxl to view the serial #. They don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Surprised they never made a second one.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It takes two was their newest different theme
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I didn't care for that one so much, but didn't play it much either.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just played little of "Still Wakes The Deep" , just came to gamepass today, its alright, kinda creepy. I'm not usually a horror game fan, but it looks really good graphic wise, esp w 4k. I admit it made me jump a few times.
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    Anyone here using the 3DS?
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    do u have pretendo?
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    whats ur code?
  • B @ btjunior:
    i dont have pretendo sorry
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    oh ok
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    well if ur console isnt modded i suggest u to mod it
  • B @ btjunior:
    also, just curius, does the freinds app still work after the shutdown?
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    yes
  • B @ btjunior:
    nice
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    but u cant play online games anymore :(
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    i miss going in other peoples town
  • B @ btjunior:
    yeah
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    i have a friend named Pineapple (@pineappleJuice hi). we played a lot the day b4 the server shutdown
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I preten to know doe
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @LNLenost how well is the pretendo servers, you ever get kicked off games when playing online?
    +1
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    @BigOnYa not always you get kicked. it happens rarely to me.
    +1
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    ofc they're not great, but props to them for making this
    +1
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    btw, I decided to make the nintendo support team going insane
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    i told them my badges disappeared after i opened the badge arcade after the shutdown, but actually they disappeared because i opened the badge arcade w/ pretendo
  • AcuteBulbasaurappears @ AcuteBulbasaurappears:
    Hey, is there anybody who knows how to create wuhb-files? :) I would like to create forwarders for two Wii-channels: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wuhb-to-vwii-channel-request.657253/#post-10441514
    AcuteBulbasaurappears @ AcuteBulbasaurappears: Hey, is there anybody who knows how to create wuhb-files? :) I would like to create forwarders...