Hacking N3DS XL Firmware by version number

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kohmei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my experience, all of the N3DS XLs near me are currently 9.0. There were many RED 9.4s on launch day, but it seems Nintendo shipped the most recent batches FIRST, meaning what's on shelves now is actually older inventory, that's all 9.0. The only 9.2s I'm aware of are MM3D and MH4 bundles.

At any rate, for the time being, there's a very high chance of getting a 9.0 since most launch day units were completely sold out everywhere. There's a slim chance of getting a unit that someone has updated and then returned.

How long this lasts, I don't know. It depends how large the old 9.0 inventory is, and how quickly they sell out before being replaced with newer 9.4 inventory.

If you want a N3DS, I'd definitely buy one now.

SomecallmeBerto

The Anti-Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my experience, all of the N3DS XLs near me are currently 9.0. There were many RED 9.4s on launch day, but it seems Nintendo shipped the most recent batches FIRST, meaning what's on shelves now is actually older inventory, that's all 9.0. The only 9.2s I'm aware of are MM3D and MH4 bundles.

At any rate, for the time being, there's a very high chance of getting a 9.0 since most launch day units were completely sold out everywhere. There's a slim chance of getting a unit that someone has updated and then returned.

How long this lasts, I don't know. It depends how large the old 9.0 inventory is, and how quickly they sell out before being replaced with newer 9.4 inventory.

If you want a N3DS, I'd definitely buy one now.

Get me one bud.

SomecallmeBerto

The Anti-Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've even gotten red ones from bestbuy.com, dell.com and target.com and they were all 9.0. QW10xx series. They're plentiful right now. I don't know where you live that you can't find one :blink:

Hmmmm I want to GS in my area and I looked at the serial and they were all 9.3 0.o guess I'm an unlucky sob. If you do pick me up one...a black one would be great ;)

btw - are you rich? :P

Kohmei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I won't be keeping all but one. I ordered them mostly in my pursuit of a flawless screen which I've come to realize doesn't exist. A slew of other problems too, from cartridge slot that doesn't lock and sticky analog pads. I'm really amazed at the terrible build quality

Gamestop isn't a very good place to shop, I would only go there as a last resort. Are you sure you're reading the serials right? There were a few people who confused QW10xx with QW40xx. A QW1028, for instance, is 9.0, whereas a QW4028 is 9.4.

SomecallmeBerto

The Anti-Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I won't be keeping all but one. I ordered them mostly in my pursuit of a flawless screen which I've come to realize doesn't exist. A slew of other problems too, from cartridge slot that doesn't lock and sticky analog pads. I'm really amazed at the terrible build quality

Gamestop isn't a very good place to shop, I would only go there as a last resort. Are you sure you're reading the serials right? There were a few people who confused QW10xx with QW40xx. A QW1028, for instance, is 9.0, whereas a QW4028 is 9.4.

Well I will have some free time this weekend and I got the serial numbers written down so I will look around my area like Walmart BestBuy etc and see if I can find anything.

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The build quality in Nintendo's stuff really took a nosedive when they stopped making their handhelds in Japan. I don't mean to sound like a jerk (the iPhone is made in China and has very good quality stuff) but I remember having a very early launch GBA that said "Made in Japan" on back and the screen on it was perfect. Soon after, they moved production to China and I saw a difference immediately (screens getting the wrong voltage resulting in multiplexing, hinges flying off the DSLite, the horrible backlight bleeding on the DSi and DSiXL, dust and scratches underneath the 3DS screens, the top screen having a yellow tint in the image, etc.).

Don't get me wrong, I love Nintendo and nothing will ever compare to the hideous build quality of the XBox 360 but Nintendo really has horrible quality control with their handhelds which began in about 2002.

It wasn't just Nintendo, though. All of the guides on what Dreamcast to buy recommend finding the older ones from 1999 that say "made in Japan" on them as they are less likely to have disc read errors. It seems like the last holdouts (in terms of moving manufacturing out of) were Nintendo and Sega and I immediately noticed a quality dip. I'm not really trying to say anything other than my findings. Maybe Nintendo had an easier time with quality control when their manufacturing was simply in their home territory or something.

I had to return like four DSiXL's until I got one that didn't have a defect in the screen.

Looking at the list and it looks like QW4007 & QW1026 are the highest( though some serials are NOT confirmed) as always even with the correct number it COULD STILL be 9.3.

If you do happen to find a spare pick me up one...I got you :)

OK it's just confusing because QW4007 and QW1026 are very different numbers :)

So if I find one that says QW4007, QW4006, QW4005, etc or QW1026, QW1025, QW1024, I'll probably get a 9.2 or lower? I have to watch out to make sure I don't buy a QW4008 and QW1027 I take it?

Hopefully the Target employee lets me scope out serial numbers before buying. A Gamestop once refused to do it for me when I was buying a PSP haha

And yes I absolutely will pick up one for you as long as it meets the serial number criteria. I just need reassurance on what to look for.

SomecallmeBerto

The Anti-Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The build quality in Nintendo's stuff really took a nosedive when they stopped making their handhelds in Japan. I don't mean to sound like a jerk (the iPhone is made in China and has very good quality stuff) but I remember having a very early launch GBA that said "Made in Japan" on back and the screen on it was perfect. Soon after, they moved production to China and I saw a difference immediately (screens getting the wrong voltage resulting in multiplexing, hinges flying off the DSLite, the horrible backlight bleeding on the DSi and DSiXL, dust and scratches underneath the 3DS screens, the top screen having a yellow tint in the image, etc.).

Don't get me wrong, I love Nintendo and nothing will ever compare to the hideous build quality of the XBox 360 but Nintendo really has horrible quality control with their handhelds which began in about 2002.

It wasn't just Nintendo, though. All of the guides on what Dreamcast to buy recommend finding the older ones from 1999 that say "made in Japan" on them as they are less likely to have disc read errors. It seems like the last holdouts (in terms of moving manufacturing out of) were Nintendo and Sega and I immediately noticed a quality dip. I'm not really trying to say anything other than my findings. Maybe Nintendo had an easier time with quality control when their manufacturing was simply in their home territory or something.

I had to return like four DSiXL's until I got one that didn't have a defect in the screen.

OK it's just confusing because QW4007 and QW1026 are very different numbers :)

So if I find one that says QW4007, QW4006, QW4005, etc or QW1026, QW1025, QW1024, I'll probably get a 9.2 or lower? I have to watch out to make sure I don't buy a QW4008 and QW1027 I take it?

Hopefully the Target employee lets me scope out serial numbers before buying. A Gamestop once refused to do it for me when I was buying a PSP haha

And yes I absolutely will pick up one for you as long as it meets the serial number criteria. I just need reassurance on what to look for.

Right I get it is confusing as there are so many different model numbers. Yes based on the list that range seems to be your best bet. I'm going to go to a few places today after work and see if I can find any for the members on this site as well.

Reactions: Hammyface

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right I get it is confusing as there are so many different model numbers. Yes based on the list that range seems to be your best bet. I'm going to go to a few places today after work and see if I can find any for the members on this site as well.

Worst case scenario if I can't find QW4007 I can buy QW4025 and be OK?

marksteele

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Keep in mind this is a GUIDE only. Nintendo has done some wonky things with versioning this time around. No guarantee's that anything here is accurate since it's just based on compiled reports. Also if someone wants to throw together a mini-update with some of the more recent stuff (if anything is new) just post it and I'll update the OP with credit for doing so.

Reactions: SomecallmeBerto

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QW4025 is where you push it...a few look to have been safe at this number...if its not what is needed just return and say the screen is not working correctly...just double check the return policy.

OK I'll buy two in case you can't find any. Just paypal me what I paid + shipping and we're even. :)

Atross

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Get today and confirm for the 1000 Eu Black Version. :)
(Yes, it's black not blue, like the dress !)

1426271587-11072353-10206186498132301-1341557822-n.jpg
1426272256-11072446-10206186498972322-715257685-n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9pwfLTaW8J8?si=FaKUzB-OBP92LnUD