N3DS XL downgrading - feasible or not with latest SySupdater?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Rickmofujohn, Jan 8, 2016.

  1. Rickmofujohn
    OP

    Rickmofujohn Member

    Newcomer
    45
    4
    Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    Hey guys, my 32gb microsd finally came in the mail and I am excited to return to the homebrew scene. However, it would appear that N3DS XL models are having rather inconsistent results when downgrading. Surely this varies greatly based upon the version of SySupdater, but I was just wondering as to the current status of downgrading on a North American New 3DS XL.

    Thank you in advance!
     


  2. Filo97

    Filo97 Zelda's totally my sister! Not lying!

    Member
    3,637
    1,209
    Oct 8, 2015
    Italy
    Hyrule Castle
    wait for KernelTimeMachine
     
    MAXLEMPIRA likes this.
  3. joesteve1914

    joesteve1914 GBAtemp Fan

    Member
    336
    134
    Jul 31, 2012
    United States
    It is true that downgrading is more likely to brick on a n3ds than o3ds, at least that's what I last heard. It's probably best to wait for KTM, especially if you have a n3ds.
    I downgraded my o3ds, and although it worked in retrospective it wasn't a good idea to try it.

    Edit - ninja'd
     
  4. MigueelDnd

    MigueelDnd GBAtemp Fan

    Member
    403
    9
    Sep 12, 2010
    United States
    Yes
    I tried to do it, and in my experience it'd be better to wait. After 20 or so attempts that all returned an error or froze on me, I decided to just wait for KTM. It shouldn't be long before it's out.
     
  5. Joom

    Joom  ❤❤❤

    Member
    3,890
    2,618
    Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Worked for my N3DS XL on the first attempt. Though I just assume I got incredibly lucky. And even though I downgraded successfully, I'm having issues with rxTools.
     
  6. JJTapia19

    JJTapia19 I fight for my friends.

    Member
    1,699
    1,064
    May 31, 2015
    Puerto Rico
    I have 2 majoras mask new 3dsxl. It worked on second try with one of them. The other one took like 30 trys and I was getting worried but it finally worked. Now they are both on 9.2 sysnand and 9.5 emunand using cakes cfw cold boot. :creep: You just have to keep trying and if you follow all of the steps correctly it should work or wait for ktm. Hopefully it will be released before update 10.4 comes.
     
    Last edited by JJTapia19, Jan 8, 2016
  7. andre104623

    andre104623 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

    Member
    681
    214
    Apr 9, 2014
    United States
    Philadelphia, PA
    Worked great after 50 reboots on my Jap N3ds normal size. BUT I did have a NAND backup
     
  8. funnystory

    funnystory Banned

    Banned
    1,472
    479
    Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    if you can return it and you have a few hours to keep restarting the app its easy.
     
  9. NekoMichi

    NekoMichi Retro Collector

    Member
    1,274
    905
    Jun 4, 2015
    Minus World
    Possible? Yes. Feasible or practical? Not so much.

    There have been plenty of reports from people who've successfully downgraded N3DS/XL units using sysUpdater and the only failures or bricks reported so far have been due to user error. Personally I've managed to downgrade a N3DS XL from 10.3E to 9.2E. But you need to take into account that sysUpdater has a huge launch failure rate on New 3DSes. I've attempted to launch or otherwise start the downgrade process at least 50 times repeating the exact same steps, out of which only 1 attempt was successful. Whether or not it launches is purely down to luck, as odd as that sounds for something computer-based. The failed attempts usually were down to the exploit being not properly executed, which prevented sysUpdater from even launching or starting the downgrade process in the first place. This is something that happens by random. Once the exploit does load and the process begins, usually it's downhill from there.

    It takes a lot of time and patience and certainly isn't for the faint of heart. If downgrading isn't that urgent for you, I'd strongly suggest you wait for KTM to be finalised since it'll make the process that much smoother and safer.
     
    Last edited by NekoMichi, Jan 9, 2016
    Tyson TH likes this.
  10. u4ick

    u4ick Member

    Newcomer
    48
    28
    Oct 28, 2015
    Burkina Faso
    took me like 7 tries so whatever

    op just do it and have patience and itll probably work. at worst its just going to softbrick which is easily fixable.

    also use julians sysupdater
     
    Last edited by u4ick, Jan 9, 2016
  11. TheZoroark007

    TheZoroark007 MK7 CT creator

    Member
    606
    234
    Apr 2, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Lake Constance
    You also can do it like me and wait for Gateway 3DS to release a methode of save downgrade and 10.3 support
     
  12. justinjustin7

    justinjustin7 Member

    Newcomer
    34
    10
    Jul 18, 2011
    United States
    What firmware did you downgrade from? I downgraded from 10.3 to 9.2, but can't seem to update emunand to 9.5 (I'm also using cakesfw). I just get a softbrick whenever I try.
     
  13. dtwpurple

    dtwpurple Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    80
    20
    Aug 20, 2015
    United States
    Vegas
    Try using reinand it was made for N3ds. (:
     
  14. justinjustin7

    justinjustin7 Member

    Newcomer
    34
    10
    Jul 18, 2011
    United States
    I did on my first attempt and got the same thing, a softbricked the emunand.
     
  15. dtwpurple

    dtwpurple Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    80
    20
    Aug 20, 2015
    United States
    Vegas
    Even when using the 9.5fw.bin? thats odd :(
     
  16. justinjustin7

    justinjustin7 Member

    Newcomer
    34
    10
    Jul 18, 2011
    United States
    Actually, let me double check if I used the 9.5fw.bin

    — Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

    @dtwpurple what is the 9.5fw.bin's md5? The firmware.bin I'm using is giving me this md5: 006559E2567DC7DF6C0F1AF17EDD9CE8

    Edit: using Downgrade Check I found that my emunand is returning 9.5 NATIVE_FIRM (2.49-0). However, the emunand system settings say I'm on 9.2.0-20U. Anyone have any insight on this?
     
    Last edited by justinjustin7, Jan 9, 2016
  17. vedekandy

    vedekandy Member

    Newcomer
    10
    1
    Jul 5, 2007
    Netherlands
    Personally, I downgraded my brand new N3DS XL with only a minor hiccup (a softbrick that I used recovery mode to get out of) and then downgraded without issue on my second attempt. I'm pretty sure that downgrading from the 9.5 or so the console was on originally caused the issue, though I can't prove it either way - all I do know is that from 10.3 the downgrade went smooth as hell.
     
  18. Nirmonculus

    Nirmonculus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

    Member
    673
    147
    Nov 4, 2014
    So as long as you are doing the downgrade instruction down to the letter, nothing bad should happen?
     
  19. Shadowfied

    Shadowfied GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

    Member
    1,657
    1,452
    Dec 6, 2014
    I did it on my Majoras Mask N3DSXL. Took a few tries to get into the downgrade app (sysUpdater, not a few downgrading tries) and then it worked perfectly. Now on 9.5 emunand with rx and Gateway. KTM wont help you much other than not letting you use wrong files, so if you just get the correct downgrade archive and verify the md5 it's gonna be the same thing.


    Correct.
     
    NekoMichi likes this.
  20. HeyItsJono

    HeyItsJono Breath of Fresh Heir

    Member
    208
    92
    Mar 26, 2011
    From what I've gathered, KTM has two benefits over the latest SysUpdater. One; it verifies that you're using the correct update package, and two; it retries installations of .cias that failed the first time. The need for the first benefit is eliminated if you're smart enough to check hashes, but the second benefit is the reason I'm personally holding out for KTM. Thing is, it's named KTM because apparently you need a time machine to travel 10 years into the future to finally get a copy of the release, it's been pushed back that many times. I'd wait 'till tomorrow and see if it's out. If not, just use SysUpdater. I'd much rather have the 10.3 latest firm safety net and use SysUpdater than hold out to use KTM and have it finally release after 10.4 is a thing.