Hardware n3DS XL doesn't mute [sound always on]

yaum

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi again. One of my n3DS XL has a strange behavior now: I cannot get the sound to lower till mute...

The 3DS is hacked, following Plailect's guide, and was working without any problem before, the sound was working as expected: with volume trigger fully down, console makes no sound, and pushing up, sound goes up.

The current behavior is now: when volume trigger is fully down, console sounds like it's at the middle position. When pushing up, volume increases, and I think it's noisier than before when it's up to the max.

I disassembled the top screen to get access to the volume assembly. To my surprise, I can get the console to mute when at the small knob lowest position. This position cannot be reached when I install the volume slider (does not get down).
I desoldered the volume assembly, to clean everything in, and soldered it back without any change.

It seemed to me that it is a calibration problem, that the variable resistor is working as expected, but that the system is not recognizing the right range. Any ideas?
Thanks!

elk1007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like the volume switch is bad, or is not lined up correctly with its plastic counterpart.

I recommended just replacing the part.

This is what you need.

You could also try cleaning the contacts with alcohol, but its only $10 for the part.

yaum

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Looked initially like that was kind of a software fault, but it's definitively hardware: swapping MB in a working console gives sound working as it should.
Plugging back the MB in its case gives: blue light, popping sound... Guess I've got to order a new speaker ribbon cable and change it.

Thanks a lot to all for your comments, it seems that this behavior was a prelude to the flex cable not working at all anymore.

elk1007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looked initially like that was kind of a software fault, but it's definitively hardware: swapping MB in a working console gives sound working as it should.
Plugging back the MB in its case gives: blue light, popping sound... Guess I've got to order a new speaker ribbon cable and change it.

Thanks a lot to all for your comments, it seems that this behavior was a prelude to the flex cable not working at all anymore.

Glad you got it fixed. I hate those damn flex cables.

yaum

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Glad you got it fixed. I hate those damn flex cables.

Agreed, theses cables are the weakest point of DS consoles... I have a feeling that they will not age well at all, and that we'll face impossibilities to fix them due to lack of parts at some point in time. Sad times for these consoles lovers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: My therapy chair is padded