猫。子猫です!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I bought the NA N3DS XL today. With prior reviews everyone was talking about how they thought it was of better quality than the regular N3DS. Well, 5 minutes was all it took for me. I own a Jap N3DS and so many people were talking about how it was closer to a child's toy in terms of feel and quality. I feel that way about the XL. I ultimately returned it and won't be purchasing until they decide to bring us the N3DS with swappable face plates.

Am I nuts? Or are there others who feel this way?

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont know if the new normal is any bigger than the old normal but I couldnt stand the screen size of the normal 3ds after using dsi XL/3ds xl. So even if they had normal new 3ds, I would probably still choose the XL. I really dont see why they cant make bigger face plates to support the xl. Are they too lazy to make them in two different sizes or is there some other technical reason?

Reactions: tarovisions

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I dont know if the new normal is any bigger than the old normal but I couldnt stand the screen size of the normal 3ds after using dsi/3ds xl. So even if they had normal new 3ds, I would probably still choose the XL. I really dont see why they cant make bigger face plates to support the xl. Are they too lazy to make them in two different sizes or is there some other technical reason?

I don't know. The new normals are bigger, but slightly. It is noticeable, and I've become accustomed to it. I never liked the way the XL sat in my hands.. And now I feel they cut corners on the quality. The first XL had a more sturdy feel to it. To me, if you're paying $200 it shouldn't feel like it'll snap after a week of standard use. Not to mention the gloss, it's so ugly.. And attracts fingerprints and shows scratches more prominently. Maybe I'm just picky.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
I agree that the gloss on the XL units is so ugly. Fingerprints. Slipperyness. Dust. Distracting reflectivity. I amazed this gloss fad is still happening. I am amazed some people consider it a 'premium' finish.

I like the larger screens of the XL but dislike gloss so much that the smaller New 3DS was the automatic choice. Finally matte white. I love it.

crazy colours
The so-called Metallic Black New 3DS XL unit is actually grey.

Reactions: Kioku

Death78793

What is this, a first person shooter?
Trophies
XP
Country
I like the gloss. It's also my first glossy device.

Really loving the gloss on mine, but it attracts fingerprints like crazy. I'm sure 90% of them come from an unknown being or something, especially in the regions I barely even touch.

prototech

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't like the gloss, but otherwise I feel as though my N3DS XL tops my 3DS XL in quality in almost every way. The weight, the hinge, the buttons and even the sliders all feel much better.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only plus I would say the n3dsxl has is the volume button is opposite of the 3d slider now
the regular xl has it in a bad spot where your palm would keep hitting it just by holding it

Some of them seem to have the quiet hinge where others have the loud clicking one, would probably just wait until the yet another xl revision
cart slot is in a bad place, same with stylus, and dont even get me started with what they were thinking with having to need a screw driver to remove the rear cover to get to the microsd slot

other then that they feel exactly the same build wise (minus the gloss)

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
yeah a screwdriver to remove the MicroSD is crazy. Very few people will bother with that. The DSi had far better design in this regard. But I think having no easy access to a quick battery swap is also crazy. An easily-removable battery is very appealing to me. A separate charger for the battery and travelling with a spare battery is ideal for me. Just like most cameras.

The shoulder buttons should have been more rounded like the 2DS, I think. The new nodels are still too blocky.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
    AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78: Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit...