n3DS XL and Gateway 3.1.1 Beta - frequent lockups

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Jedis, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Jedis
    OP

Jedis Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2009
    United States
    Hello,

To precede this post, let me state that I am new to the 3DS scene in general, so I am working on getting my knowledge to where it needs to be. This is the first time I've owned a 3DS and used the Gateway firmware and flashcarts. That said...

I've found that the Gateway 3.1.1 beta firmware has frequent lock-ups where my n3DS is trying to load the Gateway menu, or load the emuNAND, and the n3DS just locks up on a black screen. Sometimes, I need to reboot the unit 3-4 times to get it to load successfully.

I realize beta means beta, has known issues and may not work correctly. I am wondering if it's because all of the kinks aren't worked out for the n3DS, or if this is expected behavior - for both the o3DS and n3DS?

Any insight is greatly appreciated in helping me to troubleshoot these issues.

2. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Installing game CIA's on sysnand will help stability somewhat.

3. xneuromancer

xneuromancer Member

Newcomer
    Oct 15, 2011
    United States
    I've only had 1 black screen lock up after Cubic Ninja exploit launch.

Maybe it's the micro SD cards you're using?

4. Jedis
    OP

Jedis Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2009
    United States
    I'm using the microSD that came with the n3DS and a Sandisk 64GB Ultra microSD. I had read that card was one of the better ones to use... I even reformatted the card to see if that would help, but no luck.

5. ground

ground GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 22, 2007
    Netherlands
    do you want him to brick his 3ds?

it's not recommended to install any .cia to sysnand unless you know what you are doing exactly (and he doesn't know yet, and tbh it will not be needed)
    but formatting the 3ds sd is a good step to begin with.

6. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Should have phrased that better. By sysnand, I mean the sdmc tied to sysnand. That won't hurt anything.
    You know, just like regular eshop games.