i'ma stuffup the board
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.bundleupdates.com
XP
Country
Australia
Okay! I'll try that. I was under the impression that macOS has a lower limit, like 3.7gb, when it tells you the file can't be copied. If not, how could the 3ds have games installed that are larger than 4GB? I'm literally copying the files from one sd to the other and it tells me the files are too big
ftping it wont work either as it's 4GB in size

Hunter

i'ma stuffup the board
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.bundleupdates.com
XP
Country
Australia

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Okay! I'll try that. I was under the impression that macOS has a lower limit, like 3.7gb, when it tells you the file can't be copied. If not, how could the 3ds have games installed that are larger than 4GB? I'm literally copying the files from one sd to the other and it tells me the files are too big
When the 3DS downloads games it downloads them in parts and combines them when finished. And no, like other UNIX and UNIX-like systems, macOS rounds down on file sizes.
network solution to SHARE a file, not UPLOAD a file, thus using SMB to host the file while the PS3 loads the file via that,

I use SMB sharing for my xbox360
So when is it supposed to fail?
qIRLbPl.png
ftping it wont work either as it's 4GB in size
Except it worked.
Zdo8isN.png

Last edited by Joom,

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When the 3DS downloads games it downloads them in parts and combines them when finished. And no, like other UNIX and UNIX-like systems, macOS rounds down on file sizes.

So when is it supposed to fail?
qIRLbPl.png

Except it worked.
Zdo8isN.png
Those screenshots show you transferring a ~3.44GB file (in other words, less than the FAT32 limit of 4GB - 1 byte) and ending up with a filesize of less than 600MB at the end. If you want to call that a success, sure.

Reactions: Hunter

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Those screenshots show you transferring a ~3.44GB file (in other words, less than the FAT32 limit of 4GB - 1 byte) and ending up with a filesize of less than 600MB at the end. If you want to call that a success, sure.
You don't know how to read byte sizes, do you? That's not less than 600 mb. I'm fairly certain FBI wouldn't have just installed it if it had been.
mDS0lNo.png

@Hunter said it couldn't be transferred over FTP. That was my entire point behind all of this, because he seems to think that the filesystem is rounding the size up to 4 gb. Is there even a game on the eShop that's 4 gb?

Last edited by Joom,

Hunter

i'ma stuffup the board
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.bundleupdates.com
XP
Country
Australia
You don't know how to read byte sizes, do you? That's not less than 600 mb. I'm fairly certain FBI wouldn't have just installed it if it had been.
mDS0lNo.png

@Hunter said it couldn't be transferred over FTP. That was my entire point behind all of this, because he seems to think that the filesystem is rounding the size up to 4 gb.
I said a 4GB file still wont be able to be transferred over via FTP,

it will upload but fail at the end, thus not getting a complete file,

and your screenshot did not show a 4GB file getting upload. and as you have just showed in the above screenshot, IT IS 3.7GB

3,695,589,696 bytes vs 4,294,967,296 bytes notice the one on the right is 4GB

Last edited by Hunter,

Hunter

i'ma stuffup the board
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.bundleupdates.com
XP
Country
Australia
No shit, Sherlock. The OP even told you this.

You remember saying this in response?

This is a limitation of the FAT filesystem, and isn't related to any one operating system. FTP should work since you're not mounting the filesystem of the SD. Just know that it'll be painfully slow compared to SD transfer rates.
remember this one, where you think you can just FTP to the SD card via the 3DS bypassing the mounting of a filesystem and it's limits?

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your second screenshot literally shows it as 599,377,600 bytes on the 3DS side, which is 571.6MB. It's probably because you didn't refresh it after the upload and it was last refreshed in the middle of the upload, but my point was that your screenshot was bad.

I'm not really sure anyone was disputing the fact that you could upload a 3.44GB file to begin with.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
remember this one, where you think you can just FTP to the SD card via the 3DS bypassing the mounting of a filesystem and it's limits?
Yep. We both made retarded assumptions. I really don't know why that made sense to me at the time. Probably because I had just woken up.

Last edited by Joom,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: I swallowed macaroni & cheese for dinner. :P +1