Hardware N3DS randomly crashing, not booting, but pressing down on D-Pad helps

Elwyndas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In this thread
https://gbatemp.net/threads/is-my-n3ds-broken-random-crashes-no-matter-what.563691/
we found out that the problems are very likely hardware related.
The device has various symptoms of crashes. It's not due to the SD card, or the memory, or corrupted bins or whatever. That has all been tested thoroughly and is fine.
Finally somebody suggested to just try and press down on the area below the D-Pad while booting.
And amazingly, it helps. I have to press really hard on the DOWN side of the D-Pad, and then it will boot up without problems, and usually stays live. If I shut it down after it staying live overnight, I'm back to crashing, unless I press down.
I noticed that when I mess with it during boot time, like letting go just a little bit, the ARM crash comes. Just now I even had a shutdown.
I noticed that pressing hard on a cartridge in the slot also once did the trick.
In this area of the 3DS, under the D-Pad, there is no crucial hardware. The motherboard is nowhere near. However the cartridge slot is. Also the screen is to the right.
Does anybody have an idea what this could be? Perhaps the cartridge slot has a problem.
Perhaps a loose ZIF connector? The item has never been messed with though.
I can imagine that if there is a hairline crack or similar problem in that cartridge area, it can easily have repercussions throughout the system, even if no cartridge is used.
It doesn't seem to make a difference whether a cart is in or not.
EDIT: Actually pressing down anywhere to the left side of the bottom screen does the trick.

Last edited by Elwyndas,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Elwyndas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey,
that's interesting, and no, it's not me.
It could be that it's a unique problem with the SNES edition, and that it is now slowly creeping into reality.
The casing material is different from other editions. A more sturdy, rough plastic.
His photos look like he has the exact same issues.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey,
that's interesting, and no, it's not me.
It could be that it's a unique problem with the SNES edition, and that it is now slowly creeping into reality.
The casing material is different from other editions. A more sturdy, rough plastic.
His photos look like he has the exact same issues.
From the other thread, one of those eBay sellers is a member here on GBAtemp (testerfan). There is a staff member I've witness around these parts who's really good with hardware (gamesquest1). I don't know how active they are these days, but send them a PM or @.

At the Nintendo Homebrew on Discord where that other person's similarly bricked SNES n3DSXL was observed, that community's well known mod, eip (of TinyDB), stated he and one other person were like the last few people there that took up hardware repairs. It would be a good idea to expand your search inquiry by signing up for discord, meeting up with that other fellow to bring more attention this to issue if they are indeed related, and perhaps if eip's available and is willing to, take up a repair job for your n3DSXL.

If you do pay a visit at that channel, mention that other thread basically ruling this out as not a software bug.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu