Homebrew N3DS possibly bricked by closing lid while on wifi on 2.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigrokai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have been trying to setup A9LH, and I'm on the part where I injected 2.1 unbricked (N3DS) into my SysNAND, but I closed my 3DS on the 2.1 browser screen while I went to go take a shower (~20 min) and the screen was black when I came back. Now whenever I start up my system, I get "an error has occurred, please turn off the power" immediately as I boot. No luck trying to get into recovery mode, hangs at a black screen, screen turns on, but is pitch black. I've tried removing my SD when booting, but no luck there either. Is this recoverable or is a hardmod needed to restore a nand backup?

runetoonxx2

GBATemp's Cancer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-_- don't close the screen like that

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

When on 2.1 its recommended that if u need to leave.. U should leave the screen on or just turn it off. Remember to keep ur charger plugged in too
Not doing this may cause bricks

Also if u closed it during the downgrade its 100% bricked cause sleep mode kills the downgrade

Reactions: Queno138 and Abcdfv

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Considering the new 3ds launched with a firmware number way above 2.1 (I could be wrong but I think it launched on 9.0 in euro/USA and 8.7 in Jap if memory serves me right) it's no wonder it bricked when you shut the lid.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a pretty strange scenario to get a brick from, but I guess one can't be too surprised at what kind of odd corner cases are lurking around when you're running an ancient o3ds firmware on an n3ds. When dealing with 2.1 it's far better to get in, get your OTP, then get out. No need to linger there any longer than you have to or to do anything other than what you need to get the OTP.

Last edited by FenrirWolf,

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
Closed the system during both emunand and sysnand restore, completely fine.

dude, you shot yourself on the foot. Why would you close the lid while it's doing the most critical part.
Being on the hone menu isn't a critical part by any means... It still is an official firmware launch. And he closed it during otherwise normal use.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if it has anything to do with the way sleep mode/screen initialization interacts with SS3D? Though I'm not sure how or if that would come into play when running on o3ds firmware.

Boured

A Dusk Lycanroc who cares a lot about people.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have been trying to setup A9LH, and I'm on the part where I injected 2.1 unbricked (N3DS) into my SysNAND, but I closed my 3DS on the 2.1 browser screen while I went to go take a shower (~20 min) and the screen was black when I came back. Now whenever I start up my system, I get "an error has occurred, please turn off the power" immediately as I boot. No luck trying to get into recovery mode, hangs at a black screen, screen turns on, but is pitch black. I've tried removing my SD when booting, but no luck there either. Is this recoverable or is a hardmod needed to restore a nand backup?
Time for a hardmod sir :3

freedeess

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree that it sounds like a good warning to have in the guide. Many of the posts here suggest that it's obvious, but I disagree. It's not obvious at all that some consoles may brick simply by closing them at the home screen.

It is one of those things that makes sense in retrospect though.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was mentioned before in one of the other A9LH threads. I'm wondering if it's an actual "brick" in the NAND, or if it's something in the microcontroller that could be reset by pulling the battery (like re-enabling WiFi).

Can you try pulling the battery for around 1-2 minutes, and then see if anything changes?

EDIT: Just realized that OP is from two months ago. Oh well.

Last edited by GerbilSoft,

KSP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree that it sounds like a good warning to have in the guide. Many of the posts here suggest that it's obvious, but I disagree. It's not obvious at all that some consoles may brick simply by closing them at the home screen.

It is one of those things that makes sense in retrospect though.
You're using ancient firmware that was never designed to run on the system. Why would you expect sleep mode to work? Why would you expect anything to work. It's like running Windows XP on PSP, it's not gonna be stable.
Get your OTP and get the fuck out. Cause anything can happen under such volatile environment.

Certainly don't put it to sleep and go and have a shower. Why not play a game of Mario 3D while your at it.

Reactions: hiten and Xiphiidae

freedeess

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're using ancient firmware that was never designed to run on the system. Why would you expect sleep mode to work? Why would you expect anything to work. It's like running Windows XP on PSP, it's not gonna be stable.
Get your OTP and get the fuck out. Cause anything can happen under such volatile environment.

Certainly don't play to sleep and go and have a shower. Why not play a game of Mario 3D while your at it.

You're assuming that everyone knows that 2.1 predates the N3DS, that everyone knows there were actually substantial hardware changes between the O3DS and N3DS, and that everyone understands that 2.1 on the 3DS is a cobbled together mess that's barely functional. And even if everyone did know all of that (which they don't), I still think it should be in the guide.

If everything was as obvious as you guys lead on, there wouldn't be any need for a guide on the first place.

Pikm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pro-tip: NEVER LEAVE YOUR 3DS IN THE MIDDLE OF A CFW INSTALLATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hateit::hateit::hateit:

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States

Certainly don't put it to sleep and go and have a shower. Why not play a game of Mario 3D while your at it.
IT literally is still a 3DS, you're acting like it's a Wii U trying to run 3DS firmware. Everything should work. Saying it shouldn't is like saying 2.1 was designed to break. You're reverting the system to old firmware, the New 3DS isn't a new 3DS anymore while on 2.1. Btw I did stay on 2.1 for about a day and played some. IN FACT I dowmgraded while at a basketball game so I had to close and open the system. I even browsed the System Settings and tried to launch Smash knowing it wouldn't work. It was cool seeing a time paradox of an ancient firmware loading a modern game, just the principle of Smash 3D not being a thing then.
I had to actually connect to a random person's phone hotspot to launch a browserhax to restore my 9.2. It was fun.

Last edited by Halvorsen,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple