Hacking N3DS on 9.0-9.2, out of the loop where to start?

Lunatics

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an original 3ds and Gateway that I use on it. I ordered an Australian N3DS when it came out and it has 9.0-9.2 on it ( I don't remember exactly right now but I know it is hackable) and I am from the US.

Basically I have been out of the loop since I bought this and I don't know what's changed and what I need to do now. Is there anything I can do to make gateway work out of the box or will I still have to buy a certain UK game or use a sky3ds to emulate that game? If so, which games can be used now (if it's changed) and how expensive are they typically, is it just worth me getting a sky3ds if I have to so I can use it on my old 3ds still or my girlfriends and keep gateway for myself?

What are the options in terms of CFW? Can they run backups, just not .3ds files? Is there a way to convert them easily or do you have to find/create your backups in the other format? As far as installing one, would I require the same game/sky3ds to install it?

I'm so out of the loop and don't even know what my options are now or where to start, any advice would be appreciated.

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Lunatics

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to search, it is just extremely over whelming, there are far more things that are out that were never around and I have never heard of when I was previously using my 3ds, when I search about one thing to install or try it requires other things I've never heard of. I thought most CFWs did not play backups, or do you have to convert them or find cia versions of them? I apreciate that link and will try it if a CFW is able to do what I am looking for, but if it can do that and function, is it possible to follow those steps to also set up/install gateway and this mset thing on there so I can just use that? The sticky about gateway on 9.x is almost a year old, so much else has changed in that time that I figured I could ask on this forum where people for the most part have seemed to be helpful and I could get help.

I get that you get annoyed by seeing people ask questions, so don't click on the thread and don't read it if it doesn't pertain to you or affect you, it has nothing to do with you, so you click on it to post about why I shouldn't be posting it and what I should be doing instead, while I have been doing that and wanted to post a thread for clarification. Not to mention this forum isn't exactly the easiest forum to search on, but maybe I'm just doing that wrong too. Either way I'm glad I could help you improve your post count Ericjwg.

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If a thread is a year old doesn't mean the info is a year old, tutorial threads usually get updated in a daily basis, the original post date remains the same.

Click the link I gave you above, rxTools does what you want.

VerseHell

Trophies
XP
Country
France
And if you really want to use your gateway you can just follow the tutorial, setup your mset then install the gateway rop instead of the rxTools one.

Lunatics

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if I understand correctly I can follow the guide to put the CFW/CIA manager on, set up the emunand then follow "2. With a downgraded mset" to then set up gateway once the other things are set up, the guide talks about "Choose "CakesFW N3DS 9.X" if you're using Cakes , or "rxTools3.x N3DS 9.X" for rxTools" but if I want to set it up so I can boot into and use GW do I need a GW rop like you said or do I use these to launch the emunand, then I just need my red card in the system to play my .3ds backups? From then on I would launch GW on my n3ds the same way as the old one by going into settings and ds profile and holding L to launch it?

VerseHell

Trophies
XP
Country
France
There is an option for the gateway rop in fbi.
Alternatively you can also :
- Use the nvram option in the gateway menu.
- Install the bluecardfix on your sysnand (destination nand) then use the blue card with the gw_installer.nds.

Reactions: XeR ッ

Lunatics

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I think I have a better understanding of how it works and what I need to do now, will be trying to do this when I get home so I can hopefully have the 4.5 sysnand to launch it and the emunand with new3ds benefits so I can play my old games. I Thank you for the help, hopefully I can get it up and running. It's just very confusing and over whelming coming back to this after almost a year and there being all of these new things I had never seen or heard of before, that now I have to use to set up my old thing to make it work again, all of these rops and cia managers and rxtools and cfws and "*hax" hacks, it's hard to figure out specifically everything I needed.

Lunatics

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got everything up and running, I just have one question/clarification. If I install the bluecardfix.cia and the mset rop, does that mean I can use the blue card to run NDS games, then when I need to reinstall the "hack" for gateway, can I use the blue card to launch the file to install like on the O3ds or would I still have to go through cubic/ninja to install the exploit and the bluecardfix is only to allow you to use the card in general? Also if I do install it, does that cia just get installed to the SD like normal or to the nand?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I got everything up and running, I just have one question/clarification. If I install the bluecardfix.cia and the mset rop, does that mean I can use the blue card to run NDS games, then when I need to reinstall the "hack" for gateway, can I use the blue card to launch the file to install like on the O3ds or would I still have to go through cubic/ninja to install the exploit and the bluecardfix is only to allow you to use the card in general? Also if I do install it, does that cia just get installed to the SD like normal or to the nand?
Once you have MSET installed, your n3DS will behave like an old 3DS on 4.x firmware. So if you play a DS game or play with your profile you can reinstall the exploit by installing it with your DS flashcart.

linkenski

Trophies
XP
Country
A simple google/gbatemp search can answer that, pick what you want to do and ask questions when you face issues, not trying to be an a$$ but is annoying having 100 threads a day asking "I bought a 2DS/3DS/N3DS what can I do"...

Here is something:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-install-a-cfw-on-a-9-0-9-2-n3ds-without-cn-oot.398394/
Just to bump this up. I was in the same situation as you OP, just 2 weeks ago, and right now my n3DS is fully hacked with backup-loading, emulators and CFW galore. Just follow that guide point to point. It took me several hours to get it right because I misunderstood a few things, but just keep refering to that guide. Also, IMO cakesCFW worked better while I never quite got PastaCFW to work.

You can't use RXTools (a CFW just like Cakes) before you've got EmuNand installed (which is the first long step). You need to be downloading a lot of files and you also need to find some files using google yourself, as they're not allowed to be shared here, but the guide has everything you need.

And lastly... I didn't do the MSET hack because it simply doesn't work no matter what CFW or what settings for that CFW I use. It keeps giving me an error, but I've got everything working without it, so I really don't see the point of downgrading to 4.x with the MSET hax.

Last edited by linkenski,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Just to bump this up. I was in the same situation as you OP, just 2 weeks ago, and right now my n3DS is fully hacked with backup-loading, emulators and CFW galore. Just follow that guide point to point. It took me several hours to get it right because I misunderstood a few things, but just keep refering to that guide. Also, IMO cakesCFW worked better while I never quite got PastaCFW to work.

You can't use RXTools (a CFW just like Cakes) before you've got EmuNand installed (which is the first long step). You need to be downloading a lot of files and you also need to find some files using google yourself, as they're not allowed to be shared here, but the guide has everything you need.

And lastly... I didn't do the MSET hack because it simply doesn't work no matter what CFW or what settings for that CFW I use. It keeps giving me an error, but I've got everything working without it, so I really don't see the point of downgrading to 4.x with the MSET hax.
The MSET installation is super easy. Just follow the n3DS manual PDF from the gateway site (it will apply to all CFW you want to install or have already installed). Basically just install NVRAM from the gateway menu, and install the correct mset cia (in the gateway download pack) with DevMenu in SysNAND. Then you are done.

Last edited by Quantumcat,

linkenski

Trophies
XP
Country
But I don't even understand what advantage installing MSET has. As it is I'm already restricted to offline in some games, so if I downgrade to 4.x what do I even gain?

EDIT: I tried booting into GW using cubic ninja again, but now I get a magenta glitchy screen instead, every time. I think the SD card might be used up with all the force-closing. What happens if I format? Does it keep EmuNAND?

Last edited by linkenski,

Lunatics

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was confusing at first, I wasn't sure what parts of the guide I needed because some did the same thing, then other guides I found online for how to set this up but were using different methods, it was just very overwhelming at first but I sat down for a few hours and got everything set up and working properly on my N3ds that's been sitting in the box for the past almost a year just waiting lol. I had issues with the browser hack sometimes not working, or the cfw not working/giving me a black screen and freezing so about half the time it would fail and I would have to hard boot, where as the 4.5 method works flawlessly for me, plus for me imo it was a lot easier to launch the nds profile to load gateway than to open the browser, wait for it the cfw to load, launch cubic ninja wait for the emunand to load. Just much simpler and reliable of an option for me. If I can just get the exploit to stick like I've seen some threads about so I could play nds games without having to load cubic and the exploit again I'd be set and never need to do anything else but I'll worry about that later.

Downgrading the MSET to allows you to launch the exploit the classic way without needing the cfw and cubic ninja to launch it, you simply load the ds profile in settings and it launches emunand. It's a lot faster of a way of doing it (and for me personally more reliable with less crashes and hard boots).

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
But I don't even understand what advantage installing MSET has. As it is I'm already restricted to offline in some games, so if I downgrade to 4.x what do I even gain?

EDIT: I tried booting into GW using cubic ninja again, but now I get a magenta glitchy screen instead, every time. I think the SD card might be used up with all the force-closing. What happens if I format? Does it keep EmuNAND?
It means you don't have to carry cubic ninja around with you.

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Ronhero

Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    I just got 2 mig switch in the mail today
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    now I have 3 mig switch. going to return these 2 to aliexpress tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gonna love it when the next update blocks them
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @realtimesave why did you get several MIG?
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @SylverReZ youtube to mp3 some are still good, usefull when the official music video has better audio than the music in th ecd
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im back
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Find the studio rips, like a few GBs per song lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, game boys per song?
    I used to have a few of those with Direct Sound on XP and Audigy Platinum sound card with high end speakers was a glorious time for audio
    Lol no Gigabytes per song
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some websites have full studio rips of production kind of hard to find for obvious reasons
    +1
    Not sure current audio codec based sound built in to motherboards can handle the bit depth those used
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I just use mp3 files of the best quality i can find
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I say fuck it and open Spotify 80% of your musics already on it probably
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or just put in on yt
    Xdqwerty for most people hearing anything better than 256Kbps MP3 they cannot tell the difference
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    play the songs video
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Audiophiles mjs second allegation
    Pedo Audio what ever MJ was into he lost a glove
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mjs glove fit
    Billies Jeans did not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mj you are the father