N3DS LL (Japanese Import) plays DS games out of the box?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by new3dsontheblock, Sep 5, 2015.

1. new3dsontheblock
    OP

new3dsontheblock Member

Newcomer
    Sep 5, 2015
    United States
    First off, I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong forum. If it is, could one of the mods please direct me to the correct one (or move it for me)? This is my first post. Long time lurker, but I had to make an account to tell you guys this because I was so confused. I just received my brand new N3DS LL today (ordered it last night). No mods, no CFW. I have no games for it yet, but I do have an OG DS with a US copy of Super Mario 64 DS. From my understanding, one has to use a flashcart (R4 I believe) to play DS games on a 3ds (old or new). NO way around it. Also, some sort of mod or exploit is needed for region free. But I decided to pop the game in just to see what would happen. The icon shows up and I hit A. Then, well, the game starts up like normal. (pictures attached for proof). If anyone has any idea as to why this happens I'd appreciate some insight. I'm not complaining by any means, just very confused.

TL;DR: Brand new N3DS LL 9.1.0-20J plays US DS games out of the box. Confusion ensued.

(Images were too large so I just uploaded to imgur)

2. Megaben99

Megaben99 I'm not an intern. I'm a messenger of the Gods!

Mar 19, 2015
    United States
    DS games do not have regions.

new3dsontheblock likes this.
  3. new3dsontheblock
    OP

new3dsontheblock Member

Newcomer
    Sep 5, 2015
    United States
    Ah, okay. Thanks for the reply. But shouldn't I still have to use an r4 to play DS games?

4. Megaben99

Mar 19, 2015
    United States
    No, a 3DS can play retail DS carts. If you want to play ROMs of DS games, you would need an R4 cart. Gateway/Sky3DS do not support playing a standard DS game on 3DS.

new3dsontheblock likes this.
  5. new3dsontheblock
    OP

new3dsontheblock Member

Newcomer
    Sep 5, 2015
    United States
    I see. Sorry, pretty new at this. Thank you, I appreciate the help!!

6. Megaben99

Mar 19, 2015
    United States
    Nothing to be sorry about -- we all start out knowing zip. :gba: