Hardware N3DS issue with battery life, what could be?

Rinnegatamante

OP
Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
Hi men,
recently i started re-using my N3DS (i used it last time like 6-7 months ago) and i noticed there is a problem with battery life detection.

I fully recharged my N3DS and then i played with it like 10 minutes, after this time, N3DS started blinking red like if battery was near to empty and in home menu it said it was battery was 1/4 life. After other 3 minutes, it returned normal and home menu said 3/4 life, and after other 5 minutes another time i got the red blinking.
I played like 1 hour with the red blinking without system shutting down the console.

What could be the problem? Any suggestion?

haipro2001

Trophies
XP
Country
same here since i got cfw (i left my 3ds charging all day while dumping stuffs). No one helped me at all! Damn!

Rinnegatamante

OP
Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
reinand + rxtools + pasta
poor battery problem even on sysnand. Maybe it's because of chinese charger..

I'm currently using the same charger i use with my O3DS (and i don't have any kind of battery life issues with it). Also this is the official Nintendo charger bundled with my O3DS.
Also it's not a poor battery problem but a wrong battery life detection.

haipro2001

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm currently using the same charger i use with my O3DS (and i don't have any kind of battery life issues with it). Also this is the official Nintendo charger bundled with my O3DS.
Also it's not a poor battery problem but a wrong battery life detection.
actually i can play for a long time after red blinking stuff.... i game 5 hours a day so i think it s dead...

Rinnegatamante

OP
Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
Battery is most likely dying to me.

I pratically never used my N3DS and also theoretically battery in blinking state should have something like 20-30 minutes of life, not 1 hour (also it just go from 4 notches to 1, then from 1 to 3 and then from 3 to 1 in like 15 minutes...)

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I pratically never used my N3DS and also theoretically battery in blinking state should have something like 20-30 minutes of life, not 1 hour (also it just go from 4 notches to 1, then from 1 to 3 and then from 3 to 1 in like 15 minutes...)
Just wondering. Have you tried to remove the battery and put it back? Trying it on another 3ds?

ketal

aiueo
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
3DSs in general have problems with battery life detection. If the battery is almost dead (red led) and you swap it with a fully charged one, it will take a while before showing it's fully charged, progressively showing all the charging levels

Rinnegatamante

OP
Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
3DSs in general have problems with battery life detection. If the battery is almost dead (red led) and you swap it with a fully charged one, it will take a while before showing it's fully charged, progressively showing all the charging levels

I opened right now my O3DS and it seems it use the same kind of battery but with different Wattage (5Wh for O3DS and 5,2Wh for N3DS) but same voltage (3.7V). So can i use the O3DS battery in N3DS without any problem? Does different wattage cause something weird?

ketal

aiueo
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I opened right now my O3DS and it seems it use the same kind of battery but with different Wattage (5Wh for O3DS and 5,2Wh for N3DS) but same voltage (3.7V). So can i use the O3DS battery in N3DS without any problem? Does different wattage cause something weird?
Don't use o3ds batteries on a n3ds. They have different model numbers for actual reasons (o3ds is CTR-001, n3ds is KTR-001). Also, o3ds battery won't fit (try it, it will be too short).

Reactions: Rinnegatamante

tigerfrost

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I would replace the battery with another, make sure that the specifications are correct, if you choose another battery with a higher mah level that should give you more life however make sure the voltage is correct i think it's 3.7v but check with your existing battery.

i had a similar issue with an old 3ds i was fixing, the wifi seemed to destroy the battery so i charged up the battery full. Then i turned off the wifi and let the 3ds run naturally down to red for another recharge, i done this twice and the battery seemed to recalibrate back to normal.

Rinnegatamante

OP
Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
Just buy another battery or assuming you have warranty you can call Nintendo to get a replacement one since it hasn't been a full year since the n3ds got released

It will probably ends up i'll need to send my N3DS to their assistance service and they'll give back me a 10.5 N3DS. I prefer to avoid this. :P

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The thing is that Nintendo batteries don't have electronics beyond the bare minimum fr safety current limiter, there's nothing that attempts to get a percentage in a more reliable way than voltage detection...

The indicator at the top of the home is also misleading, 1 bar = red light is not 25% as you would guess from the icon!

We could probably meet in person and try swapping batteries :P

Aallaaniaq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Was the battery fully charged when you left it alone for 6 months?
Anyway i know from other stuff that leaving a battery sitting for too long withour charging-discharging cycle can reduce the life of it.

porko

Trophies
XP
Country
it's definitely strange, i left my 2ds alone for months and went back to it, battery was fine.

since it's not too a big an issue right now, just use it for a while and see if it fixes itself, otherwise maybe try formatting and setting up cfw again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all