N3DS issue with battery life, what could be?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Rinnegatamante, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Rinnegatamante
    OP

Rinnegatamante GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 24, 2014
    Italy
    Bologna
    Hi men,
    recently i started re-using my N3DS (i used it last time like 6-7 months ago) and i noticed there is a problem with battery life detection.

I fully recharged my N3DS and then i played with it like 10 minutes, after this time, N3DS started blinking red like if battery was near to empty and in home menu it said it was battery was 1/4 life. After other 3 minutes, it returned normal and home menu said 3/4 life, and after other 5 minutes another time i got the red blinking.
    I played like 1 hour with the red blinking without system shutting down the console.

What could be the problem? Any suggestion?

2. haipro2001

haipro2001 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 2, 2015
    same here since i got cfw (i left my 3ds charging all day while dumping stuffs). No one helped me at all! Damn!

3. Rinnegatamante
    OP

Nov 24, 2014
    Italy
    Bologna
    What CFW are you using? I noticed the problem was also in sysNand for me after hardresetting my N3DS but anyway i'm currently using ReiNand 3.2

4. haipro2001

Newcomer
    Jun 2, 2015
    reinand + rxtools + pasta
    poor battery problem even on sysnand. Maybe it's because of chinese charger..

5. Rinnegatamante
    OP

Nov 24, 2014
    Italy
    Bologna
    I'm currently using the same charger i use with my O3DS (and i don't have any kind of battery life issues with it). Also this is the official Nintendo charger bundled with my O3DS.
    Also it's not a poor battery problem but a wrong battery life detection.

6. haipro2001

Newcomer
    Jun 2, 2015
    actually i can play for a long time after red blinking stuff.... i game 5 hours a day so i think it s dead...

7. VinsCool

VinsCool Comfortably Numb

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Battery is most likely dying to me.

8. Rinnegatamante
    OP

Nov 24, 2014
    Italy
    Bologna
    I pratically never used my N3DS and also theoretically battery in blinking state should have something like 20-30 minutes of life, not 1 hour (also it just go from 4 notches to 1, then from 1 to 3 and then from 3 to 1 in like 15 minutes...)

9. VinsCool

VinsCool Comfortably Numb

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Just wondering. Have you tried to remove the battery and put it back? Trying it on another 3ds?

10. Rinnegatamante
    OP

Nov 24, 2014
    Italy
    Bologna
    I don't have another N3DS. Don't know if the same battery could be used in my O3DS. If so, i can try swapping batteries.

11. ketal

ketal aiueo

Aug 20, 2015
    Italy
    3DSs in general have problems with battery life detection. If the battery is almost dead (red led) and you swap it with a fully charged one, it will take a while before showing it's fully charged, progressively showing all the charging levels

12. Rinnegatamante
    OP

Nov 24, 2014
    Italy
    Bologna
    I opened right now my O3DS and it seems it use the same kind of battery but with different Wattage (5Wh for O3DS and 5,2Wh for N3DS) but same voltage (3.7V). So can i use the O3DS battery in N3DS without any problem? Does different wattage cause something weird?

13. ketal

ketal aiueo

Aug 20, 2015
    Italy
    Don't use o3ds batteries on a n3ds. They have different model numbers for actual reasons (o3ds is CTR-001, n3ds is KTR-001). Also, o3ds battery won't fit (try it, it will be too short).

Rinnegatamante likes this.
  14. tigerfrost

tigerfrost Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2015
    I would replace the battery with another, make sure that the specifications are correct, if you choose another battery with a higher mah level that should give you more life however make sure the voltage is correct i think it's 3.7v but check with your existing battery.

i had a similar issue with an old 3ds i was fixing, the wifi seemed to destroy the battery so i charged up the battery full. Then i turned off the wifi and let the 3ds run naturally down to red for another recharge, i done this twice and the battery seemed to recalibrate back to normal.

15. James310

James310 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 4, 2015
    United States
    Somewhere in California
    Just buy another battery or assuming you have warranty you can call Nintendo to get a replacement one since it hasn't been a full year since the n3ds got released

16. Rinnegatamante
    OP

Nov 24, 2014
    Italy
    Bologna
    It will probably ends up i'll need to send my N3DS to their assistance service and they'll give back me a 10.5 N3DS. I prefer to avoid this. :P

17. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    The thing is that Nintendo batteries don't have electronics beyond the bare minimum fr safety current limiter, there's nothing that attempts to get a percentage in a more reliable way than voltage detection...

The indicator at the top of the home is also misleading, 1 bar = red light is not 25% as you would guess from the icon!

We could probably meet in person and try swapping batteries :P

18. Aallaaniaq

Aallaaniaq Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2016
    Was the battery fully charged when you left it alone for 6 months?
    Anyway i know from other stuff that leaving a battery sitting for too long withour charging-discharging cycle can reduce the life of it.

19. porko

porko GBAtemp Regular

Jun 5, 2008
    it's definitely strange, i left my 2ds alone for months and went back to it, battery was fine.

since it's not too a big an issue right now, just use it for a while and see if it fixes itself, otherwise maybe try formatting and setting up cfw again.