Hacking N3DS half-bricked on 9.2 (No web browser/settings/etc) - Have shovel knight, what now?

XPavilion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, I posted a thread earlier about a half-bricked/soft-bricked N3DS.
We have a copy of Shovel Knight (to update to 9.9), as well as an already hacked N3DS on 9.2 - Can someone please run me through some foolproof steps to get everything up and running again, we haven't tried to boot the game yet, but I think there's a very good chance that it won't load either.

davidlc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
1st: install menuhax for 9.9 via ninjhax (cubic ninja cia and fbi)
2nd: update to 9.9
3rd: use sysUpdater via menuhax to downgrade.
4th: Enjoy.
Actually he can't install menuhax before updating, since the payload isn't compatible, update is first

paul4d3d3d3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your NATIVE_FIRM has been successfully downgraded, you can simply use the original sysUpdater to re-run the downgrade process.

https://github.com/profi200/sysUpdater/releases

If it hasn't, well. The only thing you can do is update to 9.8 using Shovel Knight, and then try to downgrade again with the sysUpdater that you were previously using.

XPavilion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
We just tried booting up Shovel Knight but it doesn't open on the N3DS, does that mean the only realistic option is to update to 10.4?

paul4d3d3d3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We just tried booting up Shovel Knight but it doesn't open on the N3DS, does that mean the only realistic option is to update to 10.4?

Updating to 10.4 would be a bit extreme. I'd recommend finding an entrypoint ( OOT3D + Powersaves, Cubic Ninja ) first.

XPavilion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What happens when you try to open the web browser or settings?

It gets stuck on the 3DS loading screen.

Updating to 10.4 would be a bit extreme. I'd recommend finding an entrypoint ( OOT3D + Powersaves, Cubic Ninja ) first.

We don't have the funds to get everything, unfortunately getting a copy of Shovel Knight was a struggle enough as is.

XPavilion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The browser gets stuck there as well?
Yep, we followed the downgrade process properly from 9.8, but along the way it mustn't have installed properly. When it first completed, it wouldn't boot, so we took out the SD card and it booted up. Then nothing would work, so we tried formatting the SD to see if it made a difference, and now nothing. What we're left with is a half bricked N3DS, a copy of Shovel Knight and broken dreams.

However, I have a perfectly hacked N3DS on 9.2, maybe the files from that can somehow be ripped and put onto the other 3DS?

Psi-hate

GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, we followed the downgrade process properly from 9.8, but along the way it mustn't have installed properly. When it first completed, it wouldn't boot, so we took out the SD card and it booted up. Then nothing would work, so we tried formatting the SD to see if it made a difference, and now nothing. What we're left with is a half bricked N3DS, a copy of Shovel Knight and broken dreams.

However, I have a perfectly hacked N3DS on 9.2, maybe the files from that can somehow be ripped and put onto the other 3DS?
Install menuhax on the working 3ds and put that SD in the soft bricked one if you still have menuhax installed.

alkar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have access to a cracked 3DS you can modify Zelda OOT without the data shit.

I suggest to just get Zelda Ocarina of Time, it's not hard at all to find this game...

Wolfvak

nyaa~
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Install menuhax on the working 3ds and put that SD in the soft bricked one if you still have menuhax installed.

That will not work; each 3DS has its own extdata folder. The 'broken' n3ds will not read what's been installed from the good one.

EDIT: By the way, when you open the HOME Menu Settings, does it show amiibo Settings? What about a 'Contact information' button?

Last edited by Wolfvak,

XPavilion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That will not work; each 3DS has its own extdata folder. The 'broken' n3ds will not read what's been installed from the good one.

EDIT: By the way, when you open the HOME Menu Settings, does it show amiibo Settings? What about a 'Contact information' button?

No there's none of that, and there's none of that on the properly hacked N3DS on 9.2

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't borrow a copy of OoT from someone to install menuhax? Can't you go to a store with menuhax on the SD card, "try" out the game, install menuhax, and then leave?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hands free vr