N3DS half-bricked on 9.2 (No web browser/settings/etc) - Have shovel knight, what now?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by XPavilion, Jan 25, 2016.

1. XPavilion
    OP

XPavilion Member

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hey, I posted a thread earlier about a half-bricked/soft-bricked N3DS.
    We have a copy of Shovel Knight (to update to 9.9), as well as an already hacked N3DS on 9.2 - Can someone please run me through some foolproof steps to get everything up and running again, we haven't tried to boot the game yet, but I think there's a very good chance that it won't load either.

2. einhuman197

einhuman197 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 17, 2015
    Germany
    Inside your bootloader (´◉◞౪◟◉)
    1st: install menuhax for 9.9 via ninjhax (cubic ninja cia and fbi)
    2nd: update to 9.9
    3rd: use sysUpdater via menuhax to downgrade.
    4th: Enjoy.

3. davidlc

davidlc Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2016
    Mexico
    Actually he can't install menuhax before updating, since the payload isn't compatible, update is first

4. durpia

durpia Member

Newcomer
    Feb 21, 2015
    Mexico
    Aguascalientes, Aguascalientes
    use cubicninja to run sysupdater

5. paul4d3d3d3

paul4d3d3d3 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 15, 2016
    United States
    If your NATIVE_FIRM has been successfully downgraded, you can simply use the original sysUpdater to re-run the downgrade process.

https://github.com/profi200/sysUpdater/releases

If it hasn't, well. The only thing you can do is update to 9.8 using Shovel Knight, and then try to downgrade again with the sysUpdater that you were previously using.

6. XPavilion
    OP

XPavilion Member

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2010
    We don't have cubicninja the only game with a higher firmware than 9.2 that we have is Shovel Knight.

7. paul4d3d3d3

Newcomer
    Jan 15, 2016
    United States
    You can also run homebrew using a copy of OOT3D + a Datel Powersaves.

8. XPavilion
    OP

XPavilion Member

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2010
    We just tried booting up Shovel Knight but it doesn't open on the N3DS, does that mean the only realistic option is to update to 10.4?

9. Wolfvak

Wolfvak *yawn*

Oct 25, 2015
    Uruguay
    What happens when you try to open the web browser or settings?

10. paul4d3d3d3

Newcomer
    Jan 15, 2016
    United States
    Updating to 10.4 would be a bit extreme. I'd recommend finding an entrypoint ( OOT3D + Powersaves, Cubic Ninja ) first.

11. XPavilion
    OP

XPavilion Member

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2010
    It gets stuck on the 3DS loading screen.

We don't have the funds to get everything, unfortunately getting a copy of Shovel Knight was a struggle enough as is.

12. Wolfvak

Wolfvak *yawn*

Oct 25, 2015
    Uruguay
    The browser gets stuck there as well?

13. XPavilion
    OP

XPavilion Member

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2010
    Yep, we followed the downgrade process properly from 9.8, but along the way it mustn't have installed properly. When it first completed, it wouldn't boot, so we took out the SD card and it booted up. Then nothing would work, so we tried formatting the SD to see if it made a difference, and now nothing. What we're left with is a half bricked N3DS, a copy of Shovel Knight and broken dreams.

However, I have a perfectly hacked N3DS on 9.2, maybe the files from that can somehow be ripped and put onto the other 3DS?

14. Psi-hate

Psi-hate GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater

Dec 14, 2014
    United States
    Houston
    Install menuhax on the working 3ds and put that SD in the soft bricked one if you still have menuhax installed.

15. XPavilion
    OP

XPavilion Member

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2010
    We made the mistake of formatting the unhacked 3DS's SD Card, so I don't think it's installed anymore.

16. alkar

alkar GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2013
    United States
    If you have access to a cracked 3DS you can modify Zelda OOT without the data shit.

I suggest to just get Zelda Ocarina of Time, it's not hard at all to find this game...

17. Wolfvak

Wolfvak *yawn*

Oct 25, 2015
    Uruguay
    That will not work; each 3DS has its own extdata folder. The 'broken' n3ds will not read what's been installed from the good one.

EDIT: By the way, when you open the HOME Menu Settings, does it show amiibo Settings? What about a 'Contact information' button?

Last edited by Wolfvak, Jan 25, 2016
  18. XPavilion
    OP

XPavilion Member

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2010
    No there's none of that, and there's none of that on the properly hacked N3DS on 9.2

19. CrispyYoshi

CrispyYoshi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    You can't borrow a copy of OoT from someone to install menuhax? Can't you go to a store with menuhax on the SD card, "try" out the game, install menuhax, and then leave?

20. Wolfvak

Wolfvak *yawn*

Oct 25, 2015
    Uruguay
    Well, I guess you'll have to get OoT3D. Can't you get it, quickly install the *hax, fix your softbrick and then return it for full price?