N3DS + Gateway - What NOT to do? And.. unlinking?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Kenneth196, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Kenneth196
    OP

Kenneth196 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 6, 2006
    United States
    Texas
    Hi all. So I'm getting a 9.0 N3DS soon and just got a gateway.

1) Is there anything I should not do besides update emunand to 9.6 and enter data management on sysnand?

2) Regarding unlinking sysnand and emunand, is this basically how I should do it: Format Emunand (to install it for the 1st time), backup sysnand and emunand, take out internal memory card and format sysnand (to unlink), then upgrade emunand (via a game like Xeno)?

2. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    Try to update emunand to 9.5 with 3DNUS before you backup emunand

Remember you can use the blue card on your n3ds if you install flash cart time warp

3. ravihpa

ravihpa GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 11, 2007
    India
    What's wrong with entering data management on sysnand? Am just curious to know why not?

4. hremerald

hremerald GBAtemp Regular

Jan 24, 2015
    France
    It confond with Palantine's CFW I suppose

5. Dragaan

Dragaan GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2015
    United States
    California
    from #3 of mmn's stickied thread about savedata
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Is there any reason to update with 3DNUS over a rom? I haven't done the former, but doing the latter seems to be much easier.

6. ravihpa

ravihpa GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 11, 2007
    India
    But as far as I know, once you have UNLINKED your sysnand and emunand, they DON'T use the same data folder right?

So, once you have unlinked your sysnand and emunand, it should be safe to go into data management right?

7. Ra1d

Ra1d GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 31, 2010
    Canada
    The most important thing to do is stay on 9.0 in sysNAND, that means you should know exactly when you're in sysNAND and when you're in emuNAND, for example when you're in emuNAND if you go to System Settings and then close System Settings you will be booted back into sysNAND, so it's important to know that. Some big games like Monster Hunter 4 kicked me out of emuNAND when I closed them on Old 3DS, not sure if that's the case on New 3DS, but the point is when you unlink your emuNAND from your sysNAND, create one folder in your sysNAND named "S" (or you can go as far as creating a bunch of folders that spell "S" "Y" "S" "N" "A" "N" "D"), this is an indicator that you're in sysNAND, and you can also create a folder "E" in emuNAND (or a few folders that spell "E" "M" "U" "N" "A" "N" "D") to indicate that you're in emuNAND, this way even if you get kicked out of emuNAND for whatever reason you will always know that you're in sysNAND and should not update under any circumstances.

Everything else to be honest is not such a big deal, because whatever you do in emuNAND can be undone, worst case scenario, you can re-inject your old emuNAND, or if you don't have a back-up of your emuNAND, you can format again to wipe your emuNAND, so whatever happens in emuNAND is not a problem.

I would suggest you to use 3DNUS https://gbatemp.net/threads/3dnus.376488/ to update your emuNAND to 9.5.0-23.
    It's really easy to use.

Kenneth196 likes this.
  8. GhostLatte

GhostLatte Yet Another Shitposter

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    The University of Shitpostology
    Do you which cia contains the actual update because one time when I installed all the cia's, I ended up with two setting and two eShop apps.

9. Arkansaw

Arkansaw GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 23, 2005
    Trinidad and Tobago
    don't install any updates and disable wifi, this is the safest

10. Osmosis

Osmosis Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.

Dec 20, 2014
    United States
    Before you do ANYTHING...

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!!

Especially your SysNAND.

Kenneth196 likes this.
  11. Kenneth196
    OP

Dec 6, 2006
    United States
    Texas
    Thanks for the replies all. So I should first format my emunand (to create it), then back that up (so I'll have a backup of my 9.2 emunand), then update it to 9.5 via 3DNUS and back that up (so I have a 9.5 emunand)? Is there any reason to have a 9.5 emunand over 9.4 (since I can just get to 9.4 via holding the up button and booting a 9.4 game in Gateway)?

12. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    I am still confused about what are the advantages and disadvantages of unlinking your NANDs.
    So far I can only know that unwrapping the CIAs each time you boot is the only advantage. XD

13. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Not really. My emunands are on 9.0 with no problems. FW spoofing is automatic. Some people like to fix what ain't broke. :)

There must be 50 threads to get into all the details. Some of the other advantages is the home screens screens can be different so you know you are in emunand and your internet connections can be separate.

Kenneth196 likes this.
  14. Kenneth196
    OP

Dec 6, 2006
    United States
    Texas

15. thorasgar

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Exactly. If there becomes a time for whatever reason it is necessary to upgrade emunand then I will deal with it then. I like playing around with all the possibilities as much as the next guy, but right now I have enough crap to deal with in my life. That said if you are a power user there may be some advantage to being on 9.4 or 9.5, not sure.

Kenneth196 likes this.
  16. Dragaan

Dragaan GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2015
    United States
    California
    I upgraded to 9.4 with Xenoblade for amiibo support; otherwise, it really isn't worth your time IMO

Kenneth196 likes this.
  17. mrGREEK360

mrGREEK360 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 3, 2014
    Canada
    If your emunand is fresh is there any reason to back up your emunanad after you format emunand? I know why we backup systemnand buy why emunand?

18. thorasgar

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    If you ever change to a different sysnand it makes it easier to get that version of emunand if you want it. Of course once you start modifying emunandmwith via installs and such it is a good idea to have backups.

Kenneth196 and Arkansaw like this.
  19. Deathscreton

Deathscreton Member

Newcomer
    Oct 1, 2009
    United States
    I would advise against upgrading using 3DNUS. I had issues using it. It was downloading an incorrect file for the N3DS version of 9.5. You can fix it by downloading 9.6 and using the correct file from there, but it breaks the system settings menu under emuNAND. Just use a backup US version of Xenoblade do to your upgrading on emuNAND. Less issues, no worry about downloading, no fiddling with .CIA's.

Kenneth196 likes this.